[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

"BEWITCHED" on DVD Officially Announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: "BEWITCHED" on DVD Officially Announced Reply with quote

Elizabeth Montgomery is Samantha Stephens in Bewitched, the classic 1964 sitcom about a lovely young witch who married a mortal named Darrin (Dick York for the first five seasons) over the objections of her meddling mother, Endora (Agnes Moorehead), and her snobbish father, Maurice (Maurice Evans). Darrin, upon learning (post-nuptails!) that his wife is a witch, demands that she not use her powers and try to live as a mortal. Samantha agrees, and tries hard to live up to that agreement, but hilarious circumstances again and again prove that you can't change what you are.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced today that the first season of the show will be released on June 21st. On that day, consumers will be faced with chosing between two different releases of the same episodes. You see, the first two seasons were originally filmed in black-and-white, but years ago the colorization craze took over and the episodes from those two seasons were processed into color. The process wasn't perfect, as various coloring mistakes crept in (a dress meant to be green was colored pink, for example). But the colorized versions have been seen in reruns for some time, and Sony was concerned that some fans may not accept seeing the show in its orginal black-and-white.

So in June the studio is releasing a Black-and-White version and separately selling a Colorized version of The Complete First Season. Both versions are otherwise the same: 4x3 fullscreen format, 4 DVDs, 917 minutes. Price for either version is $39.95 SRP, and you will see not only all 36 episodes but also extras such as bloopers and a featurette.

Also included is a free movie ticket to see the new feature film version of Bewitched, starring Nicole Kidman, Will Ferrell, Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine. That's currently scheduled to hit theaters June 24th, which is the Friday following the DVD release of the original show.

Stay tuned, and when Sony releases further details about the set (especially the extras), and full-size cover art (we only have received the thumbnails above), we'll be back to update you! In the meantime, you can already pre-order both the original Black-and-White version and the Colorized version from DVDPlanet.com for just $27.97 for either one!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3241

The less-than stellar spinoff, Tabitha starring the future Mrs. Clint Black aka Lisa Hartman is also scheduled to be released the same day. Aside from the apparent talents (ahem) of Miss Hartman -- who's character in "real" time should only have been 11 years old! (my those witches mature quickly!) -- the talented cast features the late Robert Urich and appearances by Bewitched vets Sandra Gould, Harold Tobias and Dr. Bombay himself, Bernard Fox.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3240

Last edited by JoeySoCal on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was last year when TVLand was running Tabitha late night and I had recorded all of the episodes (there were only 12 made, I think). I remember watching them when they first aired. The thing that struck me upon re-watching is how well Lisa Hartman "did" Elizabeth Montgomery. She made you believe she was Samantha's daughter. The rest of the series was pretty mediocre.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Color, or black and white? Reply with quote

So who's buying color, and who's buying black & white?

Me? I would buy the Black & White box set; Why? Because that's the way they were shot, and that's the way they should remain! Very Happy
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more, Joe! Except that I am -- I hate to admit Crying or Very sad --kinda curious how they look with the colorized process, so I may break down and get one in each version. There is however, IMHO, nothing like the charm with which they were originally created, in glorious B&W, as so many other classics have been first presented, from "Jeannie" to "I Love Lucy" to "The Twilight Zone."

Why this modern day "disdain" for B&W I'll never understand. Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to let us know how the color sets look when you get them, Joey.

I always feel like I'm talking to myself when I talk to you! Laughing
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, really?? Well....we do have lots in common I take it. Wink
TheForeverFamily

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by TheForeverFamily on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: PF's own Bruce Kimmel in original "Tabitha" Pilot! Reply with quote

Jen, remember this?? I do. (I remember thinking it odd that they cast someone with dark hair for the part of Tabitha -- but then, she should only have been about 11 or 12 anyway! Confused) If not...another chance to see Bruce!

Tabitha - Complete Series truly complete! Rare alternate pilot included!

The other day it was our pleasure to report on the announcement for Tabitha - The Complete Series. Rumors about that release have stated that the show's DVD set would include a hard-to-find alternate pilot with different cast playing the title which and her mortal brother, Adam. Sony has now confirmed that this will be part of this release:

Samantha and Darrin Stephens' little girl is all grown up and out on her own in TABITHA, the enchanting spin-off series. Starring Lisa Hartman as a young, single working witch, Tabitha adds a little magic and fun to the lives of her relatives and friends including mortal brother Adam (David Ankrum), guardian witch Aunt Minerva (Karen Morrow) and boss Paul Thurston (Robert Ulrich). Includes the entire 12-episode run plus the rarely seen original pilot episode starring Liberty Williams and Bruce Kimmel as the Stephens siblings.

Don't worry about the fact that Liberty Williams didn't last in the role of Tabitha, though...she found work soon afterward as the voice of Jayna, one of the Wonder-Twins from SuperFriends. It will be interesting to put a face to the voice, eh? You'll get to find out this Summer; this release will hit stores on June 21st!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3246
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends that are real Bewitched freaks, and they have seen the colorized versions of these episodes, as they've already been released in Japan on DVD. According to today's new blurb about this release on tvshowsondvd.com, it sounds like these are the same colorized transfers. If that's the case, then they are supposed to be absolutely amazing -- not at all like the colorization that was developed in the early years of the process when Ted Turner was colorizing classic movies for his movie channels. So, if you're in doubt as to which to buy, maybe this info helps. And, I agree w/Les -- the freaks (and I say that in a good way) will definitely buy both B&W and color versions. I know I would if it were the PF. :D

Also, here's some tidbits from my endless supply of useless information:

-- Susan Dey was originally offered the part of Tabitha, but turned it down.
-- Liberty (Louise) Williams (the original Tabitha in the first pilot) also played Rhoda's sister Debbie in an episode of MTM prior to Rhoda being spun off into her own series. Very Happy
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, If the DVD prints are the same as the prints used for The Hallmark channel several years back, then they are indeed done very well. I have several on Video that I recorded at the time, (I only wish I had recorded more). but now all I have to do is wait for dvd release of Bewitched and Tabitha both.

Dean-o
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, I can't say for 100% certainty, but I believe they are the same prints. Very Happy
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool trivia (useless?? me thinks not Wink ), Scott -- never heard that about the Susan/Tabitha connection before -- wouldn't that have been around 1977, when she did her own short-lived summer sitcom, "She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not"?? I can't remember whether it was produced by Screen Gems too but for some reason I think it was (would love to see that again because I remember next to nothing about it).

I never quite "got" why Miss Williams was originally cast in the pilot when she (IMHO) bore no resemblance to Erin Murphy or Elizabeth Montgomery. :oops:

Speaking of trivia/Bewitched/Tabitha, Scott I'm sure probably already knows this but do you kids know that Shirley once did a Bewitched/Jeannie-like pilot back in (approx.) 1965 or 66?? I have a still from it somewhere -- she had black hair! Ugh -- but I'd sure love to see the actual end product! Oh well. Confused
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Adam Reply with quote

Quote:
the show's DVD set would include a hard-to-find alternate pilot with different cast playing the title which and her mortal brother, Adam. Sony has now confirmed that this will be part of this release:

I seem to recall, at least as far as Bewitched was concerned, that Adam turned out to be a witch (or warlock). I remember that it was a big question on the show after he was born, and seem to remember him moving furniture around or something. But I haven't seen those later episodes since they were in primetime, am I remembering that correctly?

Last edited by Punky on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Adam never had powers in the original series. There was an episode where his powers were being tested by the Witch's Council, and Maurice put a spell on him so he could pass the test. But after the spell was removed, he never developed any powers of his own. :D

I should dig up my Bruce Kimmel interview and get working on that. He spoke at length about his first "Tabitha" pilot, and the reasons why he never partcipated in the revised pilot/series with Lisa Hartman.
Punky
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Adams Crib Reply with quote

Ah yes! Thanku Scott, thats what I was remembering. Maurice made it look like he had powers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: