[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

PF's Sat. Time Slot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionelP62
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: PF's Sat. Time Slot Reply with quote

I'm wondering if most of the ABC affiliates carried the show in the Sat. 8 PM time slot? Living in the NY tri-state area, I remember, at the time, noticing in the TV Guide listings that it wasn't airing on the network's Philadelphia station. Instead, they aired "Lawrence Welk" (of all shows) in its place. Once in a while, though, the station would air TPF on Sundays at 6 PM, but most of the time it wasn't on. If other non O&O-ABC affiliates were doing something similar, this would have been a contributing factor to the low ratings. BTW, I also recall that the show ran for 14 straight months on Sat. and was rarely ever pre-empted. Most other shows that aired in that slot didn't survive as long against AITF and Emergency. If ABC felt that it was doing so poorly, why did they allow to languish there? Why didn't they try moving it back to Fridays, where they were also struggling? I guess that there are just too many rhetorical questions to count.
LionelP62
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: PF's Sat. 8 PM Time Slot Reply with quote

Correction: it was actually an ABC affiliate in Connecticut (I forget the city) that didn't carry TPF during the '73-74 season.
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Saturday at 8pm Reply with quote

If you were not on CBS or NBC in this moment in time, the 8pm Saturday slot was the slaughter house hour. It was the hour of sacrifices on the altar. There wasn't anything that stood a chance against "All In The Family" at that time. So it really didn't matter if affiliates ran "TPF" in that hour or not. It was just a matter of time. I remember spending late summer in Santa Fe visiting family. I think the show was on at 4pm, Sunday on their local ABC affiliate.
LionelP62
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't swear to it, but I don't think ABC managed to get a solid hit in that 8 PM slot until the early 80s (although "Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island" did well in the late 70s later in the evening). By then, CBS and NBC were starting to falter on Saturdays.
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, AITF had run its course by the early 80s, too. Cool
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that All In The Family clobbered two of my favorite shows, The Partridge Family and Bewitched a few years before, although Bewitched had admittedly seen much better days.
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I don't think you can fault AITF for Bewitched's demise -- I don't think Liz even wanted to do the last (8th) season, if my memory serves (TVLand happens to be airing the 8th season episodes right now and boy did she seem bored in the last few! Shocked ) Incredibly, I think they (ABC) actually wanted to bring it back for a 9th season and she wouldn't go for it, understandably. Cool
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd heard that the network wanted to bring Bewitched back for at least another season (it might have been two!!) I can still watch the last season but Liz did seem really over it, not to mention they slashed the budget, and I don't think you see any of Sam's relatives or even the Kravitz's in the final season. As for UPN, I'm a huge Star Trek fan too and think it's unfortunate about Enterprise. I like it at least as much as most other Trek series and better than some!
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about the budget-slashing but Maurice Evans appeared at least three times during the last season, which was more than usual if I'm not mistaken. You may be right about the Kravitzes though as I don't remember seeing them at all during this current run on TVLand. Hmmmm....wonder why?? Shocked
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lot of appearances from Maurice Evans! It's been awhile since I've seen the last season. I did hear or read that they lowered the budget in the final season though and that this is why a lot of the supporting cast aren't seen. I don't think we see Uncle Arthur or Darrin's parents in the final season either. Anyway, on the subject of TPF, if I've seen the final season it would have been years ago when I was a kid, so I'm really looking forward to it, Ricky and all! It would be nice to have a solid five seasons of TPF, although four seasons is certainly a respectable run. I generally think that five years is a good number for sitcoms. There are exceptions, but it seems that so many of them go on way too long.
LionelP62
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of "Bewitched", I always felt that the show should have called it quits in '69 when TPTB decided that Dick York wasn't up to doing it anymore. IMO, Dick Sargent (who, ironically, was the original choice for Darrin) could never really seem to get the hang of the character and had zero romantic chemistry with EM. And, I don't think that it was about his being gay IRL. After all, Rock Hudson had great chemistry with Doris Day, and then again with Susan St. James in M&W. I guess the longevity of "Bewitched" can be best attributed to ABC's desperation at the time. But those final seasons really pale in comparison to the first few (and I just finished watching season 1 on DVD).
stevechapman
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something interesting about the ABC affiliate that I watched the show on during the last season, they showed the show on saturdays at 7pm at opposed to the 8pm All in The family slot. I don't know what the reason was. But i do remember it and all these years later think it was just interesting.
35yearPFFan!
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised It used to come on at 8pm on Friday nights on ABC here in Columbia, SC. Then it changed to 8pm on Saturday nights on ABC as well. It competed against All in the Family at that time. My dad didn't like that show at all, so I was able to watch and enjoy the PF those evenings. And I can remember when they came on at 8pm on Friday evenings, I looked forward to watching it all week. Can anyone remember what came on after the PF either on Friday evenings or Saturday evenings? I want to say The Brady Bunch came on after the PF on Friday evenings. But can't remember what came on after the PF on Saturday evening. I guess I am getting old!! HA HA!!

Pat
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. The Partridge Family aired at 8:30, not 8:00. The Brady Bunch aired at 8:00, followed by The Partridge Family at 8:30, The Odd Couple at 9:00, various other programs at 9:30 including Adam's Rib & Room 222, then Love American Style at 10:00.
35yearPFFan!
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks Scott, you are right with those times! After all it has been 35 years since I watched the PF!!! I am however, planning on getting the DVD's from the 1st and 2nd Season soon. Do you know when the 3rd Season comes out?

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: