[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Some Observations!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imaginedani
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Some Observations! Reply with quote

Because i have watched the Partridge family seaons out of whack; first the 4th season, then the first. (Im yet to see 2&3) After i finished watching the 1st, i thought about some things. Some things i noticed were;

#Tracy and Chris has alot more lines when they were younger
*They used the same actors for different parts ALOT
#They used some on the same gags as in the 4th
*They really inforced Lauries idealism and Dannys business smarts
#The original Chris was a real cutie! and loved baseball; serveral references to it, in the 4th there isnt any!
*The 1st season involves more travelling and gigs whilst the 4th is more set at home

If anyone noticed anything else after re watching the 1st season; please post it here

C'mon GET HAPPY! Smile
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Being Observant Reply with quote

I think Scott touched on some of these on the 1st Season DVD.
I also think that is what they were trying to do with Season 4.
Since DC had made it known of his decision to leave, the powers that be most likely cut costs across the board. Which is also most likely why it got cancelled. Who wants to see a musical family sitting at home week after week. Season 4 is a complete wash out for me, I am afraid to say. Don't remember much about it. Like I remember next door neighbor Ricky. Do not remember the Williams Twins. What was the story behind them? Were they relatives of somebody? Or were they neighbors too? Didn't Rueben have a nephew Alan, on the show for a couple of episodes? Was that in Season 4?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your theory about cutting costs because David was leaving the show is incorrect. The series was cancelled because ratings were low. If ratings were high when he left, ABC would have brought the show back, trying to revamp it without him. I don't think it would have worked (Remember Laverne without Shirley?) but they would have tried.

The reason why there is less "traveling" (Season One) and more "living room" (Seasons Two-Four) is simple. David renegotiated his contract at the end of Season One. His salary jumped significantly, and as a result Shirley's did as well due to favored nations clauses. Therefore, there was less money to spend on sets, etc. So dressing entire neighborhoods (think "Soul Club" and "To Play Or Not To Play") was out of the question from a budget standpoint. That's why producers had to be clever with the way they spent the money. They made traveling a sweeps stunt (Marineland, King's Island, Cruises, etc.).

Reuben's nephew only appeared in one episode, although the show's publicity for Season Four indicated he was supposed to be in more. Ricky only appeared in the first half of the season -- an experiment that obviously didn't work ratings-wise so his option wasn't picked up for the remainder of the Season. Andy and David Williams appeared in one episode as new clients of Reuben's.
imaginedani
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one - They seem to refer to being under or over 30 alot. Has this anything to do with the 'you cant trust anyone over 30'???

I love the 4th season! Much better then the 1st...maybe its coz i havent watched the first as much

C'mon GET HAPPY! Smile
TimL2005
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imaginedani wrote:
Another one - They seem to refer to being under or over 30 alot. Has this anything to do with the 'you cant trust anyone over 30'???

I love the 4th season! Much better then the 1st...maybe its coz i havent watched the first as much

That could be..Plus the first season of any series is spent by the writers/producers establishing the Characters and trying to give them personalities..If a show goes beyone one season, then the writers and actors know the characters and they can expaand on situations and branch out with them..

As far as over/under 30.This was the "generation gap" era..A lot of muisunderstanding among older and younger people. The thought of "Not trusting anyone over 30..was around somewhat before PF
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much about the ratings: it was moved by ABC from its cozy Friday night berth to Saturdays at 8 against juggernaut All in the Family, the number one show for four or five seasons in a row; thus plummeting TPF into the ratings basement in the process. It had a slim-to-none chance of being renewed with or without darling DC -- and it wouldn't have been the same without him anyway, even though I'd have liked to see it go another year and pass the magic 100 episode mark. Smile

I never got that either why they made it sound as if Alan Bursky was added to the cast that year even though he only appeared once....which, IMHO, was more than enough. Confused

Despite the squirt, I think the '73-74 season has many fine episodes, including a couple of my personal favorites like Mr. Onely and Mother Culpepper. Very Happy

Last edited by JoeySoCal on Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: 4th Season Deep Sixed Reply with quote

I am sure that Scott is correct with his info. But it makes since to me that since the powers that be would still try to cut costs, fully knowing that they were going up against a beohemoth ("All In The Family") with out have to know that they still had DC fully onboard for the future.
Well I just hope they put out the complete series...Seasons 1 - 4.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm -- I'm not following your logic. Why would they cut costs simply because the time slot was changed? If anything, they would have spent more money by advertising the time slot change to get viewers to watch. I've never heard of a network or studio cutting costs when a show changed nights and times.

Also, from a scheduling standpoint it made sense to ABC to switch the show in an effort to grab some of the audience away from CBS and "All In The Family." Different audiences watched both shows. Adults watched CBS and youger people watched ABC. So it's not exactly as if ABC killed the show on purpose. I think they were really trying to give AITF a run for their money. Still, not enough watched to have the show renewed though.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like Shirley and David were being paid like the Friends castmembers were, even adjusting for inflation etc. I suspect that there was plenty of money to spend on production if the producers had chosen to funnel some of the profits (and the profits were substantial) back into the show after DC and Shirley got their raises. I think the producers simply chose not to do that, preferring, perhaps, to use the profits to finance administration, pilot development, new program acquisition, and to support the less popular programs that filled out the schedule. Plus, at least some PF profit must hav been used to finance those nice big executive pay packages that always have to come from somewhere. Smile

Also, I think that the powers that be knew that the show would be popular until DC's fans outgrew him (4-5 years at most), so they elected to maximize profit and not spend production $$ on things that the audience didn't really care about. I think the producers were very clear about why the audience tuned in, what they cared about, and what they didn't care about. In 1973 did you care where the family performed? Maybe it's just me, but in 1973 I only cared THAT they performed. In 1973 did you think, "Hey, they went to Vegas and Detroit and XYZ the first few seasons, but this season they only stuck around San Pueblo? I didn't notice that.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt someone was making money somewhere. But it definitely was not funneled back into the series, which was more expensive to produce than most others, because of the addition of music. I don't think merchandising is figured into a show's budget, as that's a different department. So the gazillions being made off of toys and games didn't factor into paying for the show. The only thing paying for the series would be advertising dollars. But I'm not sure how those things would have been divided up back then. I do know that networks pretty much picked up tab for producing a show back then, unlike today when most, if not all shows are produced with a deficit.
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: What I Remember Reply with quote

From what I recall at the time, which I also believe was the subject of a TV Guide article. What the did back then, which was a well known fact was if there was a show on it's last legs, they scheduled it against the number 1 show to have a quick and fairly painless death. Granted the two shows, "All In The Family" & "TPF", had their respective audiences. But when a number 16 rated show goes up against a number 1 show, logic dictates which will win. "All In The Family" was the monster show at that time. It was routine practice that a death knell for TV shows was to be matched up against it. I do not recall all the victims that fell by the wayside.
But I do remember that the same fate befell "Chico And The Man" after the passing of Freddie Prinze. That was in 1977, and "AITF" was still a killer show.
It just stands to reason that the production knew going into Season 4 what was in store for them. Business sense alone would say "Hey, let's not drop too much money into this". It has been said on this board that Season 4 had Williams twins, Ricky Seagall, and an attempt from Alan Burksy. They certainly didn't spend money on high octane writers. One thing I remember from Season 4 is Keith having a song sung to him by little Ricky and Danny was playing the guitar, because he got dumped by a girl or something.
But the look on Keith's face said it all...here is a child TRYING to make things better. I think there was a moment when Danny says to Keith after the song is done "There Keith...do you feel better?" and Keith says "No...but for a few minutes....I forgot you existed."
Hopefully the powers that be said to themselves..."Hey, it was fun while it lasted". But somehow I doubt that. I mean they didn't even tell the cast the show had been cancelled. The famous quote from Danny Bonaduce was as he drove up to the studio gate his last day, he got the news from a guard at the gate saying to him "The Partridge Family doesn't live here anymore." Crying or Very sad It's not like the show went out like "Seinfeld" or "Friends", at the top of the ratings. It got pummeled and kicked out of the ring. Unfairly so, It deserved better.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your information is incorrect. The cast all knew when the show was cancelled. They had a wrap party. They knew halfway through the fourth season that it was time to pack it in. Ratings were bad and David was leaving anyway. Not wanting to put a lot of money into a show whose ratings are declining -- as you stated above -- is very different than cutting the budget as you originally suggested they did.

Danny's "The Partridge Family doesn't live here anymore" story is just that -- another one of Danny's stories. Also, they did have talented writers. Many of them were well-respected in the industry. Pull any of their names up on IMDB and you'll be surprised at what they've done.

And, networks do not throw a failing show against a hit in order to kill it. That makes absolutely no economical sense. If a show is failing they cancel it. They don't go spending a season's worth of money just to get rid of a show. ABC moved the show to Saturdays because they thought they could put a dent in CBS's audience with a show that had a different viewing demographic. It's really as simple as that. There's no conspiracy theory going on here. Laughing
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And, networks do not throw a failing show against a hit in order to kill it. That makes absolutely no economical sense. If a show is failing they cancel it. They don't go spending a season's worth of money just to get rid of a show. ABC moved the show to Saturdays because they thought they could put a dent in CBS's audience with a show that had a different viewing demographic. It's really as simple as that. There's no conspiracy theory going on here.

I think you're right about the move to Saturday. IMO, they had two big challenges standing between them and success on Saturday night (and I'm sure they were aware of this): 1) There were many, many one-television households in America in 1974. In my own one-television home, my dad got to pick whether we would watch PF or AITF. Guess what he chose? Laughing 2) The original fans of the show were in their early teens by 1974, and their interests were diversifying.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. A network programmer isn't going to sit in his office and say to himself, "Hey! This show's ratings are going down. Let's kill it! Hmmm -- where can we kill it. I know! Let's put it up against All In The Family! That'll be a really cool bloodbath!" Laughing Laughing The following September, ABC put an hour-long drama called "The New Land" opposite both "All In The Family" and "Emergency." It was another attempt to capture a different viewing audience, as it was a Waltons-esque type of show about a group of Swedish immigrants in the late 1800s. Hour-long period dramas aren't cheap to produce. They scheduled it there because they thought they could get that other slice of the audience pie, the same as they tried with the PF. That failed as well.

There are some bizarre cases where a show should have been cancelled, but the network wasn't able to because they were contractually obligated to produce it. The Drew Carey Show is a perfect example. In order to keep production costs down, ABC renewed the series for 2 more seasons past their current contract. By doing so, the producers and cast are locked into a specific budget/salary. The problem was, as soon as they did that the ratings went into the toilet. Since ABC had a contract with Warner Bros. to produce the series, WB had the right to excercise their 2 year option, which they did. So in the end, episodes were produced after the show had been pulled from the schedule. I remember walking past the soundstage at WB and talking to some of the people working on the show. They knew it was over and they just decided to have a ball with the last episode order. If I remember right, they did some off-the-wall things for that show. Those episodes were eventually burned off last summer, I believe. But that has no bearing on the PF -- that was specific to Drew Carey's show. Very Happy
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the show had excellent veteran writers and directors, which perhaps is one of the reasons its quality holds up 35 years later: Pilot director Jerry Paris for example, directed many episodes of the classic the Dick Van Dyke Show; he later directed the famous Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton episode of Here's Lucy and went on to direct most episodes of the long-running Happy Days. Writer William Bickley also later wrote and/or created Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, etc. PF Writing team LLoyd Turner & Gordon Mitchell also wrote for Mary Tyler Moore and irony alert! -- All in the Family, among other classic shows.
Overall, quite a bunch of top-notch talent. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: