[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

CENSORED - Bulletin Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magicman
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: CENSORED - Bulletin Board Reply with quote

I posted, twice to be exact, about the CD
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Board! I for one am happy to get a professional insider's view on both the music the new show!
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Welcome... Reply with quote

.....Magicman!

I'll agree on one thing, this site has preserved the PF legacy in a wonderful fashion --- best anywhere.

I registered on that other BB as well...but my registration was never confirmed....hmmmmm.
Think
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. OK, I am stumped. Magicman, I'd love to talk with your further about your involvement in the LPs. If you'd like to contribute, it would be a great addition to the site. Please email me at:

scott@cmongethappy.com

Thanks!
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicman wrote( "The only thing that I didn
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little hiss is o.k. that means they didn't use no-noise like Cedar or applied very little NR. Too much NR kills and sucks the life out of the music. I don't know why everybody thinks tape hiss is so bad. Althought the tape hiss on PF Christmas Card was terrible, but that was due to using a multiple generation tape, probably a 3rd generation/copy from the original master. The original master tape would probably be very quiet.
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am by NO MEANS an expert on the subject, I, personally, have always enjoyed Lisa Sutton's liner notes. Surprised And though I realizing that mine is merely the opinion of yet another listener with an "untrained" ear, Embarassed I must also agree with Ms. Sutton's assessment that "I'll Never Get Over You" (penned by the late, great Tony Romeo) is the BEST track on this album -- and has always been my personal favorite of ALL the gems herein.Very Happy
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what magicman objected to wasn't her opinion -- but that an opinion doesn't belong in liner notes -- only facts do? Confused That's what I got from it, anyway. I too enjoy that song, btw -- from the season's premiere episode. Very Happy But since it wasn't released as a single, and therefore there isn't any "proof" that it was the most popular (as you CAN say about "I Think I Love You," for instance) I suppose it's an opinion? Confused
magicman
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start, I would like to thank you for the welcome. Knowing that the other message board belongs to Lisa Sutton makes sense but I'm surprised that she would censor anyones opinion. It doesn't promote a healthy discussion. But it's her message board and she can do as she likes. In a way I'm glad that she did it because it led me to this message board which certainly appears uncensored.

I am not a fan of hiss on CD's and their is no one that convince me otherwise. Without getting into all the technical aspects, it's not something that is necessary to preserve the integrity of the original recording. We're in the 21st century.

Just to clarify, I am a fan of the song "I'll Never Get Over You". As Scott pointed out, I am just opposed to her putting her opinions in her liner notes. Putting your opinion in liner notes is very unprofessional but I don't really consider her a professional so I'm not surprised. However, I am surprised that Collectors Choice didn't do a better job of fact checking and editing her content. In my opinion, "Lookin' For A Good Time" is the best track from these sessions simply because it was such a departure. Again, in my opinion, "Roller Coaster" is probably one of the best pop songs ever recorded. I would say that "Bulletin Board" was an amazing compilation of music. There are songs that, once again, in my opinion, were duds like "I Wouldn't Put Nothin' Over On You" or "Money' Money" but that's my opinion and we're all entitled to our opinions as long as we're not including them in liner notes.
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that 'Alone Too Long' is my personal favorite off BB. That's just my opinion.
I realize that not everyone will share my opinion.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lisa Sutton is well-known and respected within the pop-culture community. She's written countless liner notes and been involved in many many projects, all of which turned out very well, IMHO. I understand what you're saying about opinions not belonging in liner notes that are supposed to be more factual than anything else, although that never occurred to me until I read your post. But I think that's a minor point when you consider all of the other information she's offered in other CD's liner notes. I would be more upset with incorrect information being in there, than a random opinion being thrown in.

I realize you're new here, and probably new to the whole fan-based message board thing-a-ma-bob. But I would really appreciate it if this thread wasn't turned into one for the sole purpose of Lisa Sutton-bashing. In the past, people have registered for message boards for the sole purpose of causing trouble, and a "rift" between websites and the fans that congregate towards them. I don't know -- and will never understand -- why there's a need to create separate "camps" and if you like one, you're the enemy of the other. Granted, not all people are like that, (and, in no way am I suggesting that's what you are doing) but it exists and it's very easy to get sucked into it. That's unfortunate.

As for censoring, I suppose you could say that if someone spends their hard earned money to create and/or maintain a website, which includes a message board, that it's their call as to what gets left up. I have had to delete threads and posts in the past and have been accused of censoring, too. Trust me when I say, I've deleted posts that have trashed me, and I've deleted posts from people that were a little too "off color" for a Board that at one time was frequented by many young people. Some have left this site's message board, and now trash me on Lisa's Board. It's a no-win situation. (BTW: I didn't feel the need to delete this thread, because she doesn't delete comments made against me on her board. Plus, you offered more information than just your dislike for the liner notes.) There's never an easy solution to the animosity that erupts from time to time on these boards.

That being said, I am really glad you've found this site and I hope you're willing to contribute some of your experiences with Wes, and the original LP sessions. I had an opportunity to meet another person heavily involved in the day-to day operation of filming the weekly series, and I'm looking forward to including everything he has to offer, too. Very Happy
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most liner notes are generally full of opinions that read like facts.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I don't know -- and will never understand -- why there's a need to create separate "camps" and if you like one, you're the enemy of the other. Granted, not all people are like that, (and, in no way am I suggesting that's what you are doing) but it exists and it's very easy to get sucked into it.

I can't agree more, Scott! (They're probably Brady Bunch fans!) Laughing Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even Maureen McCormick admits she wanted to be a Partridge! Smart girl. Laughing
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at Mrs. Neugast's this morning, and the difference between this site and hers, couldn't be more pronounced. Very Happy While Lisa Sutton's website celebrates ALL things teen idol, past and present, Scott's is MOSTLY Partridge! Surprised Cool So, how (or even WHY) there should EVER be a SERIOUS "competition" between the two is beyond me. Rolling Eyes Confused -- Besides, EVERYBODY knows that Partridges RUUULLLLLLE!!!! :wink:

Yeah, baby, two weeks and counting!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: