[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Partridge Family and Ricky Stevens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boby256
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Partridge Family and Ricky Stevens Reply with quote

Ok, so the Partridge Family had Ricky Stevens (Rick Segall) on the 4th Season. I think that he was probably very unneccasary because if they were only gonna put him in the last 2 minutes of the show, why would they bother having on the show? If anyone agrees, please tell me. If someone knows a special reason why they put him in, also please tell me. Confused
clueless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were copying oldstyle 60's TV sitcom tricks to try and keep a show going. "My Three Sons" had Dodie, Ernie's younger sister, pulled in to keep the family thing going as the boys were aging out and the older two were already married. "Brady Bunch" tried it with Oliver, the mini John Denver. It worked for "My Three Sons" because their audience was mainly adult Fred MacMurray fans who fawned over little kids. Bombed for "Brady Bunch" and "Partridge" because their audience was mainly teens who hated younger kids, especially if they didn't keep quiet as Chris and Tracy did. Anyway, they realized their mistake and canned Ricky a third of the way through the last season, but the damage was done. Ricky was never thought of as a substitute for DC, but another Dodie or Oliver. Even Dodie was a younger knockoff of Susan Cowsill. Which is why Susan was the only Cowsill the Partridge producers were interested in. TV sitcoms all copied each other and earlier sitcoms in the day before VCR's. They thought they'd be aired twice and that was it, and they couldn't go into syndication back then until the shows had been canceled and the guilty parties all had escaped. They never thought in a million years people would own DVD sets of entire series to watch and catch every ripoff. Because of the writer's strike during season 3 and 4 of Partridge, whole episodes were ripped off from Donna Reed, Patty Duke, and even the Brady Bunch. They were desperate because all the good writers were on strike, for a long time. That's why all the school and house shows and few Bernie Slade "band" road and political episodes. That and DC's inevitable leaving killed the series as the whole reason for the show's success in the first place (a band) was abandoned and songs became tack-ons.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there was a writers strike in the 70s. I don't recall one, and I haven't been able to find anything through Google. I believe the re-hashed scripts were just the result of laziness. Back then, a lot of shows "borrowed" story ideas from each other. Bewitched, especially, stole entire episodes from its own earlier seasons! They certainly weren't thinking of syndication back then, let alone the concept that people would be able to own entire series! Smile
Boby256
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Another Question... Reply with quote

Oh okay. Thank you. Another question: do you like Ricky Stevens?
clueless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Question... Reply with quote

Boby256 wrote:
Oh okay. Thank you. Another question: do you like Ricky Stevens?

I like him NOW. He's got quite a sense of humor about the whole thing, introduces himself as "Hi, I'm Ricky Segall, I'm the guy that killed the Partridge Family."

I figure I'll like Ricky Stevens when I hit, oh, eighty or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: