[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Rediscovering the PF after all these years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjssf
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Rediscovering the PF after all these years Reply with quote

I'm having something of a second honeymoon. I was a young, gay (in denial) boy from a broken home when the Partridges came on the scene and I can't tell you how important they were to me! I think the large loving family (that wasn't as saccharine as the Brady Bunch) with a cool mom and the ultimate job of being pop stars made me very happy.

I especially loved the music and knew every note of all the LPs up to Shopping bag and then inexplicably I dropped them. I don't even think I heard of Notebook, Crossword Puzzle or Bulletin Board. I remember being very embarrassed to buy Shopping Bag because the concept was so dorky but I loved a lot of the music, especially If You Ever Go, with Mike Melvoin's glorious piano run that leads up to the chorus.

Listening again, after all these years, what's clear is that they were great pop music. There was some filler and if they had a real lyricist, I think the music would have stood the test of time better. I'm more interested in melody than lyrics but even I can tell these overwrought lyrics are simple and a little lazy but just fine for pre-pubescent teenage girls (and some boys!)
David Cassidy was an amazing singer and the sound they achieved was pretty great. Like most, Sound Magazine sticks out as a favorite but all of the albums seem to have their moments. I did download an MP3 of Bulletin Board because of all the raves here but I have to admit it left me cold. It was a new direction and more soul oriented but there are dozens of better examples of good soul music.

Anyway, I've had a lot of fun rediscovering my music and reading your thoughts and it's nice to know it's not just nostalgia- there are some really great songs in the PF catalogue. Thank you for being a part of all this.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great post! Thanks for sharing. Smile
sjssf
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
It's been very fun reading all these posts and having more questions than I ever dreamed of answered.
One thing though, it seems to me that David Cassidy started experimenting with his voice between Cherish and Rock Me Baby. He sounds like he's on downers but I think he was really just trying to sound cool or butch. I don't think it works. Do you know what I'm talking about?
I think he's more effective when he sings straight ahead and with passion.

Another thought re Rock Me Baby is after reading his book and the notes, he really wanted to "break out" from the mold and show what he was made of but the music isn't that much of a leap. Maybe a little more guitar and less piano but it strikes me he was deluded if he thought he wasn't accepted because of the PF music. It was deeper and it's not really clear what he was capable of at that young age. It's too bad he couldn't enjoy the ride and his talent but life doesn't normally work out that way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: