[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, while I've seen so many scenes from it over the years I have never watched the Godfather films in total. (it's a secret that I have to hide from a friend, Fortunately he will never read this board.) However, I have seen Gone with the Wind and while its a very pretty and well done movie I have never quite gotten why some folks are very passionate about it. ( But then I never understood why Friends, Senifeld and Sex and the City were popular either Smile

Oh well, its nice to know that there are so many different opinions and a place to talk about them.

BTW, I liked Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean, but I'm not sure about him in Chocolate Factory. But then, I also grew up with the original Very Happy
kelley
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by kelley on Fri May 21, 2010 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelley wrote:
Oh, I have been watching the Wizard of Oz for years on tv!!!
Kids today think that it's "just a movie to rent??????" Shocked
that's sick, that's sad really
Scott I don't know if you like movie musicals but I think that you will like Bye Bye Birdie. it was made in the early '60's (better than West Side Story I think) it stars Ann Margaret and I forgot who else, I will just have to see that movie again! Embarassed Shocked

Dick Van Dyke & Janet Leigh were also involved, as well as Paul Lyndd (sp?) as the father & Bobby Van as the boyfriend
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Lynde (Hollywood Squares; Bewitched) Sigh. How quickly they forget! :shock:

Kids! What's the matter with kids todaaaaaaaayyyy! Wink
kelley
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but I miss him so. Crying or Very sad
Classic Lynde on Hollywood Squares:

Peter Marshall: "Paul, why do Hell's Angels members wear leather?"
Paul: "Because chiffon wrinkles so easily!" Shocked Laughing
Gotta love it! Cool
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey,
Paul lynde was one of my favorites also. I loved his series, "Temperature's Rising" and his voice over work too ("Penelope Pitstop" and "Charlottes Web"). I picked up CW for my nieces recently and they were glued to it!

Question about "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" - is it for kids???? Mothers, Fathers, aunts, uncles, interested bystanders please let me know if you think it would be appropritate for nieces (aged 7 and 5??)

I haven't seen the movie yet and that long with the 'new' remake of "Bad News Bears" are not really on my list of movies to see this Summer. Hell I've seen 'em alrady!

Please refer to any/all my prevous ranting and ravings about Hollywood and its remake-mania and how they refuse to produce anyything 'original'? threads! I won't bore you any longer regarding this aspect of my opinion.

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was read to our 4th grade class and is one of my most cherished 'school memories'. Its a wonderful story, I don't recall it being 'dark' as Marjorie pointed out. I'll have to look at it again. The original movie with Gene Wilder and Jack Albertson is a classic. Scott - I sure hope you rent it its a delightfully fun fantasy.

BTW of the other movies Scott hasn't seen, I have never seen Godfather part III, ET (all the way through), Giant (????), and Sreetcar named Desire. I picked upt the DVD for Casablanca but always fall asleep everytime I try to watch it!

Ed
Marjorie63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I didn't convey accurately what I meant to say about the "darkness" of the book. I haven't read the book in over 30 years I'm guessing and haven't seen the movie for decades I'm sure. But I think that I recall thinking when I first saw the movie that Willie Wonka was meaner and more "evil" in the book than Gene Wilder's portrayal of him. But it's certainly possible that I could be totally wrong on this. Ya know how the memory begins to fade as one ages!! Laughing
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I'd take kids over 9-10 to see the new Charlie. The book, and this film, have a message for grownups that kids won't get. Willy Wonka, in the new film and the book, did not like children. Being bratty brings huge consequences. Wonka shows no compassion for the naughty children. I think it's great, but not for tiny kids.
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy,
I appreciate your advice. I'll recommend against this one for my little girls.

Marjorie - No worries luv Smile I know what you mean about fading memories of 30 years ago! If it weren't for this site and these friendships I doubt seriously I would remember every detail of the Partridge Family/Cassidy as I think I do! LOL!

Ed
Marjorie63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy from Boston wrote:
Ed, I'd take kids over 9-10 to see the new Charlie. The book, and this film, have a message for grownups that kids won't get. Willy Wonka, in the new film and the book, did not like children. Being bratty brings huge consequences. Wonka shows no compassion for the naughty children. I think it's great, but not for tiny kids.

Ed, I think maybe my memory may have been somewhat correct about the book being darker in accordance with Amy's assessment above. The part about Wonka having no compassion for children is what I remember. I can't say what, but I think there was one event in the book that was altered in the original film that made Willie Wonka seem "nicer" and more compassionate. Now if I could just remember what that was!! Laughing
Sandra
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fond of Johnny D. but I'm trying to keep an open mind; saw him on the Jay Leno show the other night and he was okay; I love the original and it's gonna be hard to top it...but I am very curious and will wait till all the "hoopla" dies down.
Happy Day,
Sandra
kelley
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

kelley
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah plus I just saw the original again so I could compare the two
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: