[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode # 94: "Morning Becomes Electric"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Four
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Episode # 94: "Morning Becomes Electric" Reply with quote

Morning Becomes Electric
Written by Lloyd Turner & Gordon Mitchell Directed by Richard Kinon Produced by Mel Swope
Original Air Date: March 9, 1974

The Partridges will be the "model family" in an effort to show the public how easy it is to cut down on the use of electricity.
Guest Cast: Jack Collins, Maureen Reagan

Song:
"Sunshine," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell, Bobby Hart, and Danny Janssen (on The Partridge Family Crossword Puzzle)

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Simone70
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite episodes. It's neat that they rode their bikes. I also love this song! This is one of the first episodes I watched.

Simone70
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fun one and still relevant today.

I also remember roasting marshmellows in the fireplace.

I also remember sleeping in front of it one night when our furnace went out.

The only thing that would have been nice is if they had recorded "Sunshine" accoustically also so that you wouldn't have heard any background instruments, but just Keith's guitar until the scene actually shifted to the final rally concert.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the few episodes to show the Partridges' basement. Which makes me wonder -- where's the basement door? And, California homes don't usually have basements! Laughing
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the basement, Scott. Out of curiosity, where would the laundry room be located in a California house with no basement?
And does it really get that cold in the evenings that you'd need to heat the house? I forget is San Pueblo was supposed to be in Northern or Southern California.

I agree with Kathy - would have been nice to hear a truly acoustic "Sunshine" when they're singing at home.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early on there were more than a few indications that the series was placed in Northern California. But that went away quickly and there are more than enough references to Southern California to make me think that's where they are supposed to be -- at least from Season 2 through 4.

In California you might need the heat in the AM getting in and out of the shower, but not all that much. I might use the heat for an hour or so a day.

Most laundry areas are off of the kitchen, in the garage. Some homes have "mud rooms," as you enter the back door. Many are placed in there before you enter the actual home.

Aren't most basements doors placed in the kitchen? The only unused door would be in the dining room, which can't be where the basement door would be. I guess they never really thought that far ahead. They just fudged when the script needed one. The interiors never matched the exterior 100%, as there should be rooms on the left side of the house and it obviously ends at the staircase. Plus, the exterior shows the fireplace along the driveway but the interior places it against the front of the home.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the exterior shots of the house, yes, you'd mostly likely find the basement door in the kitchen. When I watched the show as a kid, I kept trying to figure out where exactly that fireplace was. It would bug the heck out of me that the interior didn't match the exterior. Did they really think people wouldn't notice?
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this episode because of DC singing 'Sunshine', too cute. Dont know why I love that song so much but I do.

Laundry room! You USA/Canadian citizens dont know how spoilt you are! Basements aren't built in houses over here either, but very old houses might have a cellar which is cold and damp unless you pay to have it converted. Over here, if you're lucky enough, you have a 'utility room', an extra room attached to the kitchen which has a few cupboards and room to house your washing machine/tumble drier. Other than that, the kitchen IS your laundry room, all electrical appliances in one place. We use washing lines in the garden (yard to you) a lot over here too, which is fun in our climate, forever running in and outside with laundry when it rains. Very expensive to rely on a tumble drier! So the Partridges were ahead of the game with trying to save electricity and care for the environment.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Britfan. We North Americans are privileged when it comes to housing space. Everything is big, bigger and biggest. In the last couple of decades, our laundry areas have gone from small spaces in dark basements to actual separate rooms as big as kitchens.

Sunshine is a good song. I love the tambourine and clapping as well as the piano riff. And of course, DC's singing. His voice is almost too sultry for the lyrics.
Partridgefan1970
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good episode from Season 4, I had always wondered why they had a basement living in California, I know that being from Florida we don't have them either..always wanted one tho, I always thought they were cool to have. Sunshine was a good song for the episode and I also like the way it moved from the house to the ralley.
KathySTL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm in the Midwest and my Mom always did laundry in the basement, I never noticed the fact that they wouldn't in CA.
Interesting.

In my parent's house, in it's original configuration, the entrance to the basement was through the garage, we didn't have access from the house til my Dad built an addition and then cut through the original outside brick wall which became an interior wall.
The house that I grew up in doesn't match it's exterior from the street side at all, since the addition juts out the back.

I have noticed though that even here a lot of folks now have their laundry area near their kitchen these days rather than trucking down to the basment.

My own home is a townhome with a walk out basement, so part of it is the laundry room and the rest is our rec room. (where I am sitting typing this now)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Four All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: