[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Watching The Episodes As An Adult

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Watching The Episodes As An Adult Reply with quote

I have to say, watching these episodes on DVD as an adult instead of being a 10 year old when the television series first hit the airwaves, makes a world of difference. Even with today's technology.....I'm sure the Army could recruit a little boy! But if it were MY son they were seeking....? They would have one hell of a battle on their hands just as Shirley Partridge did. Or if my two little ones wanted to run away.......?

Some of those stories strike a chord nowadays besides just being entertainment.

Am I being silly here?
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think so.

I thought the same thing about the Whale song episode.

I remember everyone getting so excited about Star Trek tackling the subject of Whales in the Voyage Home and how profitable it was in 1986.

But the Partridges covered that concept 10 year earlier. Very Happy

I think we do look at them from a different perspective, (and we notice the dating of some of the tech and clothes) but good stories do last and families and relationships are here to stay.
Herky Molina
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the writers tackled topics that were relevant for the time and still ring true. The energy crisis, interfaith dating, the ecology movement, women's rights, bullying (I won't fight you Goose), to name a few were all handled humorously plus they made a point.

Watching today, PF doesn't seem as dated as the constantly compared Brady Bunch.
KathySTL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herky Molina wrote:
I always thought the writers tackled topics that were relevant for the time and still ring true. The energy crisis, interfaith dating, the ecology movement, women's rights, bullying (I won't fight you Goose), to name a few were all handled humorously plus they made a point.

Watching today, PF doesn't seem as dated as the constantly compared Brady Bunch.

I agree. Interestingly enough, USA Today reported that tonight Antenna TV was showing the episode when Maude considers an abortion. Another topic that is still hot today. (didn't get a chance to watch it myself)
danny-boy
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prison concert was a little shocking--especially a prisoner being able to walk right up and pick Reuben's pocket--could have been a lot worse!
BLUEBIRD
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could say in some ways, this show is timeless! Great observations, everyone..........I saw the show the other day where the Grandparents wanted to divorce, but ended up renewing their vows..... The show covered many relevant topics, and that's why we love it to this day. I love being an adult and enjoying them all over again.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
KathySTL

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and considering the day I have had..watching the Partridges sing away life sounds really good right now Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: