[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Ratings for a few season 3 episodes!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott- I was not being sarcastic. I am interested in reading it. I hope you can post it soon. I"m also interested in new information about the PF that we did not have before. I just take it with a grain of salt! But I do want to read it!
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in reading it too. I'm not familiar with Wesley Eure so I Googled him. Lookswise, he certainly had what it took to replace Mr.Cassidy. I'm not surprised in the least that the show would have been testing possible replacements. Most shows probably start thinking of alternate casts on day two of production. Contingency planning.

Another show that replaced its "star" was "Three's Company".
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBC has a new show this fall based on Chelsey Handler's book. The network just replaced most of the cast prior to filming. It happens all the time. Wesley was supposed to be Gopher in "The Love Boat," but was replaced by the network the day before they were supposed to sail. It's common. I'm not sure why there's doubt.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't Shirley Jones have been filled in about any plans to replace DC and have Shirley get married on the show? She has never made any comments regarding that-at least not that I ever read or heard of. And what about David himself? Would he have known of any plans to replace him?
Scott- is there a way you could find out anything about this from Shirley and David? Smile
I'm looking forward to reading your interview with Wesley and seeing what you discovered regarding the timeline.

I contacted the Nielsen company for info regarding each of the PF episodes and was told it would cost me 'several thousand dollars" to obtain that info from them! Shocked This was even though it was for my personal use and not commercially!
I very much would like to have further info on the PF's ratings. From what I read at the webisites I had found the info I posted from- the Los Angeles Times used to publish the complete Nielsen report every week back then in the early 70's. I wish I had access to it! I can't find it online. Sad
Can anyone help? ( I can't get to a library.)
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, David knew of the plans to replace him. His contract was up. Producers wanted to keep the show going. They had a contingency plan, and then DC changed his mind and returned to the show for one more season. Contingency plan scrapped. Season Four goes on. Season Four bombs. Series cancelled early 1974. Very Happy

I do not know if Shirley was privy to the series' plans. She would not have been in the loop, or had any say as to what was going to happen. It was a Network/Screen Gems decision. She was under contract for 6 years so she'd have to show up even if they turned Shirley Partridge into a nun that flew. Laughing
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott- why do you reply to my questions with sarcasm?
You mentioned you would add your interview with Wesley about his replacing David to the people and places section.
I am interested in reading it.
Shirley was the star of the show and I'm sure she would have been informed if the producers were planning for her character to get married to a next door neighbor during the 4th season. She obviously knew of David's decision to leave after the 4th season.
And no-she would not HAVE to show up if Screen Gems/ABC decided to turn her character into the flying nun. She could have left the show if something she did not approve of was going to be introduced.
As for the show "Bombing"- name another show that ABC aired opposite AITF from during 1971-1975 that:
A) lasted a full season
B) pulled in over 15 million weekly viewers in that time slot.
If the show had been kept on Fridays it would have retained its high ratings.
I believe a Sci-Fi show named "Gemini" was originally slated for that time slot opposite AITF. When ABC could not find sufficiant sponsors for that show they ditched their plans for it and decided to put the PF there instead.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone is difficult to read in posts. It's not sarcasm so much as frustration. It just seems that no matter what info I provide, or whatever research I do, it's just not good enough. Unless I am reading wrong, it seems your mind is made up, and no matter what the interview says, you will still not accept it. So, I think I'll bow out of the conversation. Very Happy

BTW: I did NOT say Shirley didn't know. I said they would not necessarily have told her. Shirley was contracted for 6 seasons. She would have shown up for season 5 if there was one, or season 4 without David. I do not understand why you dismiss that? I've worked in the Studio system long enough to know how these things work. Would they have held a gun to her head? No. But I do not think replacing David would have made her leave. She went through much worse when "Shirley" was being produced and she stuck it out. That's my guess, and if I see her again and I think of it I will ask her. Very Happy

Last, if ABC renewed the series for a full season (as opposed to half-season orders like they did with Brady and Odd Couple, they would have had to produce it, similar to how Warner Bros. forced ABC to continue with Drew Carey during it's last 2 seasons. (Networks renew expensive series early on all the time, as a measure to keeps costs the same rather than have them skyrocket each season with talent costs, etc.) I'm not saying this IS what happened, but it's possible. Also, season 4 was finished filming in January/February, perhaps a bit sooner. There are plenty of reasons why the show lasted in that slot. It could be, nothing else was ready to air, etc. etc. Very Happy
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott- we do seem to be misunderstanding each other. I am just skeptical of certain things because I was lied to for 30 years by an organization and people I 100% trusted. So its not easy for me just to accept claims people make.
I do believe Shirley would have continued with the show, with or without David. I read she did not want it to end.
I am interested in the information you found out when you interviewed Wesley.
I am not automatically dismissing things that you do research on and present....I just want proof!
You feel anything you present I will automatically reject. That is not true!
I am interested in whatever information you find out about the Partridge Family and things that went on behind the scenes!
I started this thread because I was very happy to find some of the Nielsen ratings for the Partridge Family and it showed what I had always suspected: it made the top ten numerous times and was one of ABC's most popular shows during its first 3 years. Yes, the fourth year the ratings were poor-and we have pretty much discussed the reasons why. But the thing I was trying to bring out was how popular the show was during its first 3 seasons and that it was the most popular or second most popular show on Fridays most weeks.
I did not intend this thread to be sidetracted by whether or not I believe Wesly was hired to replace DC at some point!
My mind is not made up- if you want to share the info you found I'd like to read it and others have indicated they would like to read it as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: