[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Ratings for a few season 3 episodes!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Ratings for a few season 3 episodes! Reply with quote

I found the Nielsen ratings for three of the Season 3 episodes!

Episode 60- "Whatever Happened To Kieth Partridge?" Airdate Nov. 24, 1972
Rating: 19.6/32

It's competition that night was :
CBS "The Sonny And Cher Comedy Hour" (2nd half)=15.6/26
NBC "Little People"-18.7/31

On a side note The Brady Bunch= 17.1/25

Episode 67- "The Eleven Year Itch" (Jodie Forster guested). Airdate: Feb.2,1973
Rating: 23.5/37

It's competition that night was
CBS "Much Ado About Nothing" (Special) 9.5/31
NBC "Little People" -22.5/35

Brady Bunch= 19.3/31

Episode72 " The Selling Of A Partridge". Airdate: Mar.16,1973
Rating: 24.5/41
The Partridge Family was #8 in the Nielsen Top Ten that week !

The competion that night was:
CBS -Hockey=7.1/12
NBC- Ed Sullivan (Special)= 15.3/26

Brady Bunch=15.8/27

For comparison, The Partridge Family had an average rating of 20.6/35 for the Third season Sept. 1972-March 1973
#19 for the season

The rating is the % of US TV Households tuned to the show, thus the episode airing on Mar.16,1973 was seen in 24.5% of all US TV Households.
The share is the % of TV sets actually in use during the time that show aired, thus for episode 72 airing Mar. 16,1973 41% of all TV sets in use at the time were tuned to The Partridge Family! If you compare just the 3 networks ABC, CBS and NBC then The Partridge Family had 52% of the viewing audience while it was on 8:30-9:00 pm.
This also means 30 million people watched The Partridge Family that night!
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody responded to this. No-one was interested in how many people watched The Partridge Family and how it compared with other Friday night shows?
I wish I could find more info like this!
Even in March, 1973 at the end of the third season the PF made it into the Nielsen top ten!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Board has been sleepy since it was down for a few weeks when we changed servers. It comes and goes.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your post, Irving, and appreciated the info. Thanks for sharing it. Where did you find it? Knowing that 30 million people tuned in to watch the show on a particular date is cool.

With the hundreds of channels out there today, I wonder how many shares top shows get.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this information on a website called:
www.tvobscurities.com

Actually, The Partridge Family had between 26-32 million viewers for most episodes during the first 3 seasons!

In the final year opposite All In The Family it had 15-16 million viewers.

Today competition among the networks is not as tough as it was in the 70's and 80's. A lot more people watched the 3 major networks. Thus a show with fewer than 17 million viewers rarely got renewed. Today a show with 17 million viewers would be in the top ten!

American Idol was averaging a 16.1 rating and had 25-28 million viewers. This show is number one most weeks.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Irving! I love this type of info.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
Thanks Irving! I love this type of info.

I do too! I wish I could find the Nielsen ratings for each Partridge Family episode!
If I ever find out any more ratings info I'll post it here!
Marquise
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Ratings for a few season 3 episodes! Reply with quote

Thanks irving for providing the information. It's fascinating that THE BRADY BUNCH which aired before THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY didn't attract the same numbers. I wonder what the audience *not* watching TBB was tuning into before turning the dial and tuning into TPF.

Also interesting is the fact that TPF was still garnering very strong, respectable ratings in it's 3rd season. The music side of it may have been tapering off but the series itself was still pulling in viewers.

ABC effectively killed it by inexplicably moving it from it's very comfortable Friday night perch (pun intended) and pitting it against the #1 show in the country at the time, ALL IN THE FAMILY.

I think for all intents and purposes ABC just wanted to do away with it to make room for other programming.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ratings for a few season 3 episodes! Reply with quote

Marquise wrote:
Thanks irving for providing the information. It's fascinating that THE BRADY BUNCH which aired before THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY didn't attract the same numbers. I wonder what the audience *not* watching TBB was tuning into before turning the dial and tuning into TPF.

Also interesting is the fact that TPF was still garnering very strong, respectable ratings in it's 3rd season. The music side of it may have been tapering off but the series itself was still pulling in viewers.

ABC effectively killed it by inexplicably moving it from it's very comfortable Friday night perch (pun intended) and pitting it against the #1 show in the country at the time, ALL IN THE FAMILY.

I think for all intents and purposes ABC just wanted to do away with it to make room for other programming.

Hi! I found more ratings information and will be posting it later today! Yes, The Partridge Family still was popular through its third season, even reaching into the top ten certain weeks. But I found there were also a few weeks where its ratings slipped and it missed the top twenty. The record sales did drop off starting in late 1972 but I think one reason may have been that kids just could not afford to get every PF album and single & each DC album and single-the records may have been competing against each other! Some fans may have been more content to tape songs off the TV show and spend their money on other PF items. Oddly, while David's popularity was dropping in the USA it was climbing in the UK and elsewhere at the same time.
As for The Brady Bunch, it never had the popularity that The Partridge Family had, but there were weeks it did well. David Cassidy is most likely the reason people switched to ABC for the PF. But in my case, I lost interest in the BB after its second year and did not turn on the TV till it was time to watch the PF.
Yes, moving the PF to Saturday nights opposite All In The Family killed its excellent ratings. Right before the switch, the Pf was at #19 in early June 1973. After that, it slipped below the top 25 and at some point dropped into the bottom ten, then the bottom 5. But the show did last the entire season in that time slot, which other shows had not. And the show ABC replaced it with in Sept 1974, The New Land, got cancelled after just 5 weeks. The Partridge Family was pulling in 15-16 million viewers during the last season- too low to be renewed, but good enough to last the entire season.
During 1971, 1972 and early 1973 the PF was pulling in 26-32 million viewers most weeks!
Yes, I believe ABC gave up on the PF when they learned DC was leaving-there could be no 5th season therefore, so they sacrificed the PF rather than another show they were hoping to renew. How could the PF go on without DC? And what ratings would it have gotten? I do wish they had left the show on Fridays so it could have ended its run as a top rated show-rather than in the bottom ten.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A network is not going to spend millions of dollars producing a series to "sacrifice" it by moving it to a new time slot in order to kill it. That doesn't make any sense. Rather, it was counter programming against "All In The Family," and "Emergency!" Both series had different audience demographics and the intent was to try and erode the competition/s audience share. If the series was still in the top 10 and a ratings/financial success for ABC, they would have done everything in their power to get DC to stay by offering him the moon -- same as they do with series stars today. CBS just did it with "The Big Bang Theory" with great success as the audience moved with the series. There are a ton of series where this wasn't the case. "Mork and Mindy" comes to mind.

Bob Claver talked about this at length in our interview with him : http://www.cmongethappy.com/interviews/bc/index.html
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott! I agree it makes no sense to pay for a show to be produced only to intentionally "kill" it by putting it in a horrible timeslot. But I believe both ABC and Screen Gems had given up on The Partridge Family once they knew David was not going to stay after the 4th season. David was completly burned out, bored and went through a "break down" due to the stresses his career was causing him. He needed to stop and get away from it all. I doubt ABC could have convinced him to remain with the show, and without him the show could not continue. How could it? What ratings would it get? Sadly, without David the show was done. ABC had no success putting anything in that Saturday night time slot- yes, I think they assumed The Partridge Family could do well as it had a younger audience than All In The Family. Emergency benefitted from its hour long format as it picked up viewers in its second half after All In The Family was over. At times it did even better than the PF, but I feel again, its because it picked up viewers during its 8:30-9:00 half.
ABC must have felt they had nothing else to put on that could last in that time period and the PF did relativly well.
I found more ratings info I'd like to share, this is from extensive research on a website called www.mrpopculture.com
if anyone is interested-you can find the ratings for many other shows here as well!
I do not know which PF episodes aired these weeks and these include rerun periods. Interestingly All In The Family was not always #1 each week during the reruns. This, I think, could have added viewers to the PF during the rerun period of the 4th season as people who watched AITF may have watched the PF reruns.

Week of Nov. 9, 1972
The Partridge Family #20 20.9
side notes: Emergency #33 18.8 ( not opposite PF)
Brady Bunch #31 18.8

Week of Nov. 16,1972
The Partridge Family # 20 21.1
Brady Bunch # 28 18.5
Emergency # 33 17.6
I'll continue in the next post.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partridge Family ratings-
week of Dec.1, 1972
The Partridge Family #22 19.6

Week of Jan. 1,1973
The Partridge Family #16

Week of Feb.22,1973
The Partridge Family # 12 25.2
Emergency #28 20.7
Brady Bunch #29 20.3 ( A very high rating for the BB)

week of Mar.1, 1973
The Partridge Family #19 22.3/33
Little People #23 21.6
Brady Bunch 18.1/30

First week of April, 1973
The Partridge Family # 25 19.4
Emergency # 19 20.6
Little People # 20 20.3
Brady Bunch #34 17.8
Note: this was not a good week for the PF. Little People outrated it. There were a lot of specials on that week. I don't know which episode this was, but obviously not one of the more popular ones. A rating of 19.4 was low for the PF in my opinion.

week of June 3,1973
The Partridge Family #19

Week ending March 18,1973
The Partridge Family #8 24.5/41
Brady Bunch 15.8/27

Week ending Feb 4,1973
The Partridge Family 23.5/37
Little People 22.5/35
Brady Bunch 19.3/31

Week ending Nov. 26, 1972
The Partridge family 19.6/32
Little People 18.7/31
Brady Bunch17.1/25

Week of Sept. 1,1971
The Partridge Family #11 16.7 ( tied with Arnie & Mayberry RFD for #10)

Week Of April 22, 1971
The Partridge Family #11 24.4 ( 4 specials in the top 10 )

Week of June 3, 1973
The Partridge Family #19
Week of Jan. 1,1972
The Partridge Family #20 20.9
Week of Nov. 16,1972
The Partridge Family #20 21.1

Nov. 9 BB= !8.8 #30
Nov.16 BB= 18.5 #28

Week of Dec.1, 1971
The Partridge Family #7
Brady Bunch #15

July 16,1971
PF #10
Feb.1,1972
PF #8
Jan.1,1973
PF #16

It has been very difficult to find ratings for The Partridge Family for the 4th year other than these 2
16.4 ( From Lawrence Frerk at AC Nielsen Company)
10.6 (From The book "The Partridge Family album" page 33)

To compare: here are the season long average ratings for the PF :
1970/71 19.8/34 #25 11,900,000 households
1971/72 22.6/37 #16 14,034,600 households
1972/73 20.6/35 #19 13,348,800 households

Finally, it was on October 23,1970 that ABC knew it had a hit with "The Partridge Family" It had a rating of 17.5, followed by Headmaster with 16.8 and Name Of The Game at 16.3.

If anyone else finds any more info on The Partridge Family's ratings please let me know.
And as a side note: David Cassidy: Man Undercover averaged a rating of 11.7
I include ratings for Emergency only for those curious- I do not like that show but it did well oposite All In The Family.
Little People was opposite The Partridge Family- I did not like that show obviously!

Last edited by irving on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In doing research and speaking with production personnel for website projects and beyond, I'm pretty confident when I say that The Partridge Family was moved to Saturdays as a counter-programming measure against All In The Family and Emergency. Also, if the show was a success in this time slot it would have come back for Season 5 with or without David Cassidy. They would have offered him the world to return, and if that didn't work, then they would have recast -- the same way Charlie Sheen is being replaced by Ashton Kutcher. At first, they played around with various experiments to see if they could expand their kid audience by hiring Ricky Segall and testing out other options like Andy and David Williams. That didn't improve the ratings and with David firm in his desire to leave, producers even went so far as to hire Wesley Eure ("Land of the Lost," "Days Of Our Lives") to take over as the lead singer. But audiences did not move with the show. It was obvious that with or without David Cassidy, the show was over. If ratings had proven otherwise the show would have been back for Season Five, the same way Laverne came back without Shirley, etc. Very Happy
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having Ricky there turned audiences away, and the episode with the Williams twins was one of the lowest rated so they were never asked to return. I don't remember hearing anything at all at the time about Screen Gems hiring someone to replace David Cassidy and I was reading most of the fan magazines back then!
Personally, I would have stopped watching the show had they replaced DC. It is too bad he could not continue with it but without him it was over.
Murder She Wrote was a top 10 show on Sundays ( I watched " Lois & Clark" when it was on) but they moved the show to Thursdays for its last season. The ratings fell and it ended up number sixty something. Angela Landsbury was successful in getting the show moved back to Sundays and thus it ended back in the top ten! What night a show is on matters.
I wish ABC had moved the PF back to Friday nights before it ended so it could go out as a top show as it had been before the move to Saturdays. Saturday was not a good nite for the PF- in that 8 pm time slot.
It was doing very well in the ratings until the move to Saturdays in late June 1973.
Scott-would you have any info on what the PF ratings were as the 4th season began?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: