[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Something New Got Old?... or New Again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilmore2BubbleGumSinger
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Something New Got Old?... or New Again? Reply with quote

Hey, Scott, long time no PF connection.

I have a question:

Now that all 4 Seasons have been released on DVD, every known previously mainstream Partridge Family vinyl has been released - is there any news about anymore Previously unreleased music CD's in our PF futures?

Since the 2005 release of "THE VERY BEST OF THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY" c'mon get happy! with 5 previously unreleased songs it was a PF collectors dream CD.

Anything exciting in the works?

Just curious and you seem to always have your finger on the pulse of all things Partridge.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask this too. How well did the greatest hits album sell?
is there any possibility of us getting all of the unrealeased songs on CD, or is that now out of the question?
RockMoonStar
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Find Peace In Your Soul Single Reply with quote

I was watching Season 1 on DVD and I was wondering how people in the 70's watched movies and television shows at home. Did they have actual reels and a machine for videotapes? Cause, the VHS was after that was it not? Anyways, I got to the episode "THE RED WOODLOE STORY" and when Find Peace In Your Soul came on I was ecstatic. Probably due to the fact that I was thinking about 2 souls that met in heaven and one remembers heaven and one doesn't. Or maybe they both don't remember heaven. Not sure, or maybe one remembers heaven, but that was his second time in heaven. Something about being first timers. Anyways, here is the youtube clip I found. I LOVE THIS SONG! Why is it not on any albums? Is there more to the song than this? Cause, I looked up the lyrics and it seems to be the entire song. It isn't short but it's a clip from The Partridge Family, so ya never know if there is more to it or not. <3 Enjoy Youtube!

Oh my God David Cassidy is really something. Long Story but Dick Clark carried him well after 1974, so, ya know, much to smile about!! Everything is new!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKlv16B0-Do

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>
Simone70
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Find Peace In Your Soul Reply with quote

Thanks, RockMoonStar, I love this song! It's alway's nice to hear it again. And, once again, Shirley Jones' beauty shined through and put me in a great mood! Thanks again!

Simone70
danny-boy
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Find Peace In Your Soul Single Reply with quote

RockMoonStar wrote:
I was watching Season 1 on DVD and I was wondering how people in the 70's watched movies and television shows at home. Did they have actual reels and a machine for videotapes? Cause, the VHS was after that was it not?

Are you totally kidding me? Before video cameras and VCRs, programs had to be watched when they aired. If something aired at 2 a.m. you had to watch it then and just hope you had a nap first and could sit through it. This applied to everyone, including stars like Michael Landon, who said thank God for VCRs, before they came along he had to make his kids watch I Was a Teenage Werewolf on the late show and threaten if they didn't stay awake "Daddy'll turn into that." Only a very few movie stars had copies of their shows, and not always then, and when they did have them unless they also had a home theater they had to set up a projector and screen to watch them. Projectors and films (actual films, in big metal cans) could also be checked out of a public library back then if the library was big enough to own such materials. This applied to movies but generally not TV shows.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what made TV a special event to have in the house. "The Wizard of Oz" was a yearly event that you'd look forward to. Saturday morning was the only place to watch cartoons. Now, the uniqueness has disappeared because we live in an instant gratification society. In a way, it's sad. You don't have to make an "appointment" to see your favorite show anymore. And, since VHS came out, the studios don't re-release films either.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in some ways it has hurt TV, because nobody really cares when a show airs. Of course, I like the convenience of being able to watch something even if I have something else going on at it's airing time.
Time shifting by VCR and now DVR has made it easy to follow shows and have a life too. Very Happy

I wonder if Soap Operas would have already died though without the Time shift.
I know I would have had to quit following mine (GH) years ago without my recorder and even with SoapNet I still record when I'm busy.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I am forever grateful for syndication - would never have discovered the PF otherwise.

Another big difference with TV now is year-long fresh programming. When I was a kid, TV was deadsville during summer. If you wanted to watch something new, you watched the news. Pretty much everything during primetime was a rerun. Even soaps got repeated during a short hiatus, if memory serves. Today, new shows debut in the summer regularly. Do people record these shows to watch at their later convenience? I don't recall watching much TV during summer evenings growing up.

Of course, the programming selection is dizzying now, with so much segmentation. My younger self might have imagined an all-sports or all-news channel but an all-weather channel!?!

RockMoonStar, can you explain your Dick Clark comment? I don't think I understood the connection to our DC.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV always used to have summer replacement series. Usually, variety shows took a hiatus and they replaced them with short, 10-week series. But back then, before VHS, people would watch reruns. Also, the episode orders were more than they are now. The Networks programmed many more TV specials that aired during the season, too. So, series may have ended at the same time (May sweeps) but there were far fewer reruns during the season. (There were no 3 month breaks between the season (which is why so many series like "The Event," and many others don't last. They leave the air for way too long and people forget or lose interest.) Usually at Christmastime or Thanksgiving there were short 2 week breaks. There were more variety specials, miniseries, TV movie-events, Christmas special, feature-film debuts, etc. All of that stuff has gone away because there are now entire channels for that stuff. You no longer need to make an appointment to watch something on TV, making the experience far less special, IMHO. Very Happy
Herky Molina
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves, there were summer "replacement" series as far back as the mid 70's. They were usually variety shows given to singers with a popular top 40 hit, such as: Starland Vocal Band, Jim Stafford, Hudson Brothers, Marilyn McCoo & Bill Davis Jr, etc. I think Tony Orlando & Dawn's show might have started in the summer, and was renewed for the fall.
KathySTL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, the daytime soaps were never rerun.
There were summer replacement series that were started during the time.
But there were also a lot of traditions that helped spread the series out.

All of the Christmas specials that now air on ABC Family were shown, along with annual appearances by the likes of Bob Hope and Perry Como.
You also had the Movie of the Week tv movies and the like also.
danny-boy
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes all the Christmas specials aired at the same time and made the kids cry. d'oh! Crying or Very sad
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss those special TV moments each year like other have said, the Christmas specials and summer replacement shows. I remember as a boy with my Reel to Reel tape recorder watching the Partridge Family and recording the songs or the whole episode because it would be a whole week before I'd be able to watch the show again! I'd make sure to tape especially when new songs were being played and the album hadn't come out yet!

Ed
Herky Molina
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cassette recorder and would tape episodes of All in the Family, Odd Couple, etc and listen to them over and over. One of my fondest memories is my father buying a VCR so we could watch these episodes whenever we wanted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: