[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

DAVID was on Today Shoe HODA & KATHIE LEE this morning!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: DAVID was on Today Shoe HODA & KATHIE LEE this morning! Reply with quote

David was on Today Show with Hoda and Kathie Lee just now with Allison Pearson while she was promoting her book "I Think I Love You"! He came out as surprise to her and was wearing a formal morning coat! If The Today Show with Hoda and Kathie Lee hasn't come on in your time zone yet be sure to watch it. He came on around 10:30am into the show. If you missed, you may be able to see it the video later on www.todayshow.com.

Despite the posting time indicated, I am posting this at 11:37am NY time
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct link - they just put video up!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29054368/ns/kathie_lee_and_hoda
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank you, Paz!!! Just watched it. Allison Pearson's writing is brilliant and she doesn't disappoint in person. Started reading ITILY on the Today website and couldn't stop laughing. Instant transport to my young girl's mind crushing on DC. I've read her first book and it's amazing. The woman is a very gifted writer - she highlights the humor in situations without making it farcical. Subtle but extremely effective. I'm looking forward to reading ITILY.

And now...David! At this point, is there anyone left on the planet over the age of 30 who knows he got zero moulah for all that PF merchandising? Wink He seemed to genuinely appreciate the book though.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allison Pearson wanted to get in touch with me late last year (asked a fan for my contact info.) because she said that she was not getting any response from DC team. (though I didn't know what I could do about that!) So I assume he has since decided to.

I do agree about him always mentioning the past money - he seems consumed by it constantly. I esp don't like when he tells it to a fan who excitedly shows him something she's kept for years and treasured.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the book. It is really good. What David said was just right. I wish they hadn't packaged it in Pink. The color alone will alienate the book form 'serious' readers and plunge it into the sticky yicky realm of 'chic lit' which this book is not. Hope I'm wrong and it becomes a huge hit.

David at 60. Still beautiful. I can only dream of looking that good at 60. Love the outfit. IMHO he can talk all day about being ripped off. I think people should know how exploitive the business is to young people. I think it would be great if David would work to get some laws into place protecting young performers the way Jackie Cooper did way back when for child stars. Might make him feel better.

Sorry to say, sounded like he was on pain killers. Slow speaking and a bit slurry. Not his usual hyper self. Alison didn't seem to mind....
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, forgot to mention, Alison Pearson gives David a big thank you in the book acknowledgements:
"I want to thank David Cassidy himself for his kind encouragement. David's autobiography, Come on Get Happy was an invaluable source of information."

Sounds like DC supported the project all along.

When I think about it, it actually makes sense that he mentioned the money thing. After all, he won't be making a dime from this book I imagine.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can be annoyed at not being paid, but not to an excited fan and make them feel bad for having something they kept for years. To fans he should just say what he said when he first saw Allison's badge - "Nice. Cute" Something like that.

Unfortunately, on the Kathie Lee and Hoda viewer comment board, some were not kind about how David looked. There were some who said they had crush on him back in 70's and how they had posters on walls, etc, but claimed shock at how he looked now. :-(

I am wondering if he talked to her after about cut from the book, and if that is why he talked about merchandising in the interview.

I only know what I was told last year. I wasn't contacted in the end so between times things must have changed.

Reviews have been very good. I have the book on hold at the library for when they get it in.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding, right? He's not due one penny from her. She wrote a fictional book based on her life and childhood crush on DC? Why would he be due any money from that? :D

Here's a revue with details about the story:

I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson: review

In Seventies south Wales, 13-year-old Petra is skinny, shy and struggling to blossom in the shadow of her beautiful but cheerless German mother. Though she has yet to be kissed by a real boy, she knows all about love because like 30 million other teenage girls, including her best friend, Sharon, she is besotted with the singer David Cassidy. In the pink sanctuary of Sharon
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why people when given the chance to speak annonomusly, (sp!) choose to be petty and cruel, I'll never know. David is 60. If he was face lifted and wigged they'd slam him for that too. He just can't win. It is the curse of the fading beauty, it just happens more often to women than men.

Here's a bit of A.P's interview with DC at the end of her book that says it all.

A.P. People judge you?
D.C. "Hey, how come you don't grow your hair back? Have you ever thought of getting your hair back?" [he winces.] I get it all the time. Same with Farrah Fawcett, icon of a generation. that's the problem. They say, "Oh, I saw a picture of her recently, it's soooo sad." I can't stand the idea of that being said about me. Hey, people get older. People relate to Robert Redford because of the way he looked at a certain age when he was a young man. That's the thing he has to constantly be measured against. Sixty happens. They do it maliciously and it's cruel, it's mean-spirtited. People love to be shocked and they love to see other people come down. "See, he's not that handsome [anymore]!"

the rest of the interview is great, btw, DC is a smart man no doubt.

I will respectfully disagree about the 'cherished object' senario (sp!) If I love an 'object' that has done harm to someone else, I'd want to know about it. Perhaps that's why I'm not much of a 'collector'. Although, I do have a weakness for those darned PF mysteries!

I wonder if for DC, it is not just about the money, but about betrayal. He trusted people, people who looked him in in the eye, to take care of him financially while he was working himself into a nervous breakdown, but they didn't, they stole from him instead. That I imagine would be very damaging to the spirit and well as the bank account.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Scott, I'm not kidding. I don't think he is due any money form it. But once again someone is using his name for their own purpose. She no doubt is making money by using his name. His name is certainly why I bought the book, which put a nickel in her pocket. That was my point there. Not that A.P owes him money.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Scott points out, this book isn't really about David. Its themes are much deeper and universal. However, his image is still, in some way, a vehicle for someone's profit.

I just hope all those people commenting on DC's looks don't stop there and go beyond to discover his post-PF career. If this book could somehow renew the public's interest in his work, wouldn't that be groovy?

Also, how many other teen idol have inspired a book like this? For some reason, I think DC cast a stronger spell on more fans than any other teen idol. Probably because of his fans' impressionable age, I dunno. Keithlives, what do you think?

His mention of Farrah Fawcett is apt. They were similar in the way they affected the public for that decade. And Robert Redford purposely let his looks go to counter all that pretty boy image. It is a curse to be beautiful.

Forgot to mention: about laws protecting young performers from exploitation. Justin Bieber made $100 million dollars last year. I think post-DC idols have gotten the hang of the merchandising aspect of the biz Smile
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiethlives wrote:
No, Scott, I'm not kidding. I don't think he is due any money form it. But once again someone is using his name for their own purpose. She no doubt is making money by using his name. His name is certainly why I bought the book, which put a nickel in her pocket. That was my point there. Not that A.P owes him money.

I wasn't referring to your post. I was commenting on what Paz wrote:

Quote:
I am wondering if he talked to her after about cut from the book, and if that is why he talked about merchandising in the interview.

As for residuals today versus 1974, you can't compare Justin Beiber to DC's situation. DC was in a series and studios are notorious for claiming a "loss" when a series was a bonafide hit. Hollywood has had this kind of crap in place for years. (I remember specifically when James Garner sued Universal -- and won -- over profit sharing from "The Rockford Files.") It's easier to hide those profits than it is with a record and concert sales -- which, incidentally, DC made a ton of money off of. He has said repeatedly that he made his money from touring because the studio had no financial participation in that. :D

A book about a girl's crush on DC is her own personal experience. A celebrity has no control over that because they are in the public domain. Also, you'll notice DC's photo is NOT part of the book art. Very Happy Now, if she wrote "The Official David Cassidy Cookbook," that would be a different story altogether. :lol:

And I agree with this idiotic bashing about someone aging. It's certainly not fair and people go overboard on message boards. Maybe that's why there's so much plastic surgery going on, because people are made to feel self-conscious about their looks. I feel badly for celebrities (and people in general) whose whole sense of self image is wrapped up in their looks. There's no where to go but down, once gravity and age catches up.

I thought DC looked fine in the interview. He's a damn good looking 60 year old man -- certainly not all pulled, stretched and botoxed like other celebs his age. I'm not getting the long coat and sneakers, but I didn't watch the entire clip.
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Scott I WAS kidding. I wrote that line as sarcasm because of how he is about $$.

Here is behind the scenes footage before he came out to surprise Allison. He says something about hoping that she makes a lot of money with the book because then he will make money:

See how Cassidy snuck up on author

TODAYshow.com caught up with David Cassidy, and followed him behind the scenes as he surprised author Allison Pearson live on TODAY.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41162089/vp/41514482#41514482

My own personal ideas why he wore the Morning Coat and Spats on his shoes:
1. Because of his upcoming concert tomorrow night with the Omaha Symphony.
2. As a "wedding outfit" since Allison said when she was a teen she swore she was going to marry David. And he wore what is usual for a Royal Wedding. (Allison is British and the royal wedding is coming up there.)
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott, sorry about the mixed up. Sometimes getting the posts can be confusing, for my brain anyway. Confused Your message popped up right after mine and I assumed it was about my comments...

Paz it does seems the Vintage (ha ha) Cassidy fan had/has a particular level of devotion and hysteria.

The only other book I know of (off the top of my head) that address the 'teen idol' years is one about the Beatles, where people wrote their experiences with 'following' the fab four and it was cobbled together as whole. It was very poorly written and repetitive. There certainly are novels that use celebs as characters, but I don't know anything like this. Just like A.P. said somewhere, she wrote it because she had never seen a book addressing teen crushes in a real way. Good for her say I. As you know I've got a thing about the subject.

If you watch footage of the young teen idol Elvis on a low stage the girls are all worked up and crying and all but they don't try and grab him or pull at him while he is singing.

Same for Sinatra, the girls are screaming their heads off be they stay in their seats.

I saw a live clip of the Jonas Brother about a year or two (must be two, since they're history now. Shelf life of teen idol, two years right? Except for DCs 5 years. she wrote smiling with fan pride.) and the fans were screaming and all, but once again made no move to devour.

Have you ever seen that clip of DC in Australia where the girls are literally colapsing the stage trying to get hat him?

Maybe it is a A.P suggests in her interview that there was a sense of DC being wounded that made the girls go after him so completely. Love his response, typical DC:
Well, I was wounded. I hadn't thought about that. That's a new one. You are dissecting why I exist, Allison. I think you are right. I think I need to get seriously wounded again. If you want the girls to like you, go out and hurt, motherfucker!

Very Happy Very Happy
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't comparing Bieber's situation to Cassidy's really. What I was trying to get at is young pop stars today are savvier when it comes to all the merchandising around them. It seems DC and the PF were the first to send pop culture merchandising volume and revenue into the stratosphere and then when Stars Wars came along, people started to get a better idea of the real numbers involved. Not as easy to hide profits from the stars. Bieber's arriving on the scene forty years later - plenty of precedents in that time for him to get an idea of the merchandising volumes involved. He might not touch all the money he's owed either, but at least the sharks won't be able to present him with a $15,000 cheque for his total profit share when the revenues are a billion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Cast! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: