[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode # 78: "The Strike Out King"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Four
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Episode # 78: "The Strike Out King" Reply with quote

The Strike Out King
Written by William S. Bickley

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
alain m. bergeron
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From better (Beethoven, Bramhs and Partridges) to worst (Strike out king)...
the story, itself, is unlogical : one day, Danny's the little strike out king and the next he wants to quit, cause he feels too much pressure from the coach ? Poorly written. And I'd say that Danny seems as much as a pitcher as he is a bassplayer in the band.
as for the musical number, for a band who played on his opening night in Las Vegas, it's down the drain : four seasons later, they sing a song in front of a little boys league... Embarassed
it reminded me of a time when I used to play in a pop band (I wanted to be like David Cassidy... Didnt' work, should I point out) and our last gig was in front of a little girls basketball team. That was the end of it... Confused
Still, I really like the song "I wanna be with you" and that moves that David is making while going towards Susan.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't agree with you more Alain. Every thing you said is right on the nose. Plus...This is one of those plots used on every 'family' sitcom. When the PF have 'gone there' in the past they add something to it...like when the want to sell the house...the lost while camping (Help Help Help! Swiss family Partridge both very funny!)

This one follows all the usual stuff. Overly competitive parents blah blah. The only good line is Shirley: When I was a girl, boys would strike out with me all the time.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, this episode is awful, isn't it? When I got the whole series on DVD, I watched every episode more than once and skipped this one every time. Yesterday was the first time I watched it from beginning to end. Agree about Shirley's line - cute!

As to where Danny can meet kids his own age, I dunno, how about school? Granted, perhaps this episode is set in the summer, school's out and all of Danny's classmates are away at camp... Still, what a lame way to introduce baseball into the storyline.

Is it me or is DC's screen time even more forced this season? I found it awkward when, after Keith jokes about Danny being a target for the archery, the camera cuts to his "concerned" face listening to Reuben.

And yeah, Alain, didn't anyone back then think it was icky for Keith to flirt with his mother and sister on stage? They could have chosen a less suggestive song to perform in front of a bunch of little leaguers, no? Smile
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually they do a better job a fitting the song to audience. They did it blow this time.

Also, a banjo for Little Ricky's song. Not a good move. PF going country made the classical music sound extra good to me. Talk about jumping to extremes. (noticed in the credits that Ricky actuall wrote the song, not good.)

Episode in general so so.
alain m. bergeron
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathy, as I learned elsewhere on this board, the songs were written by Ricky's father, not by the little guy.
alain
KathySTL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was his father named Ricky too? I was just going by what I saw on the credits.

I do see where Scott has listed the writer as Rick Segall. I'll have to pay more attention on the next episode and double check how it's written there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Four All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: