[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Book 'em, Danno! -- R.I.P. James MavArthur

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Book 'em, Danno! -- R.I.P. James MavArthur Reply with quote

'Hawaii Five-O' Actor James MacArthur Dead at 72

James MacArthur, best known through the catchphrase "Book 'em, Danno" from the original "Hawaii Five-O," died Thursday. He was 72.

His family was at his side at the time of his death, according to a statement. No further details, including a cause, were given.

The actor son of famed screenwriter Charles MacArthur and theater legend Helen Hayes played Detective Dan Williams on the original 1970s TV series for 11 seasons. He also made several films, including Disney's "Swiss Family Robinson" and "The Battle of the Bulge."

Peter Lenkov, executive producer of the new "Hawaii Five-O" remake, sent regards to MacArthur's family. "We've lost a special part of our heritage today," Lenkov said in a statement to EW.com. "James' talents and memorable role helped bring this series to life and his support of our remake meant the world to us."

Lenkov continued, "'Book 'em, Danno' will forever be testimony to an actor and character that will not be forgotten. The thoughts and prayers of everyone here at 'Hawaii Five-0' go out to his family, his friends, and his many, many fans around the world."

His wife of more than 25 years, Helen Beth Duntz, survives MacArthur, as do four children and seven grandchildren.
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news. I always enjoyed him on Hawaii 5-0. I'm liking the new one, but a bit behind on my viewing. A nice tip of the hat happend on the second or third episode, and the second time McGarrett said, "Book 'em, Danno." Danno said, "Is that going to be 'thing' now? I hate it." McGarret: "I think it's kinda catchy."
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the new series as well. Many homages to the classic series in this one

Still will miss James MacArthur though.

I liked him in "Swiss Family Robinson' too.

Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad to hear this. Crying or Very sad

I remember Hawaii-5-O being a weekly 'must-see' in our house. All that gorgeous scenery/sunny skies and a very watchable, entertaining show was such a contrast to an often wet and windy England. I had a little crush on 'Danno' as a young girl.

I never knew he was Helen Hayes son either. I remember her as a staple in a lot of American imports and she made a very entertaining Miss Marple too.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Helen Hayes in a short-lived series called "The Snoop Sisters," with Mildred Natwick and Bert Convy. It ran as part of the NBC Mystery Movies with shows like "Columbo" and "MacMillan & Wife." It was about two old spinster sister getting involved in solving mysteries, etc. It only lasted a season but it's coming to DVD soon. I hope it holds up to memory. Very Happy
PazJD
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the new series also. It's one of the highest rated new series.
I heard the Book em Danno thing on the second episode. Laughing

I am glad this series is doing well for Alex O'Loughlin, cos I liked him in Moonlight, and Three Rivers and unfortunately those shows were canceled. Though I thought they didn't give Three Rivers a fair chance, and Moonlight, well they canceled that too soon just before the big Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diaries craze hit.
AarHandy3
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Book 'em no more, Danno... <:^( Reply with quote

Let's hope the current cast continues to do justice to the memory of the original. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: