[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

RCA outtakes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeanSidney
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: RCA outtakes? Reply with quote

Hi All

I guess this is my 1st official post. Ive been reading and enjoying the site since its inception but just finally wanted to throw in my two cents.
Ive been a DC/PF fan since I was 6 (I was born in '70) and stumbled across my older brothers copy of Higher/Harder and gave it a spin. Ive been a fan of DCs RCA work ever since. Which leads me to my question. . . Has anyone ever heard of any alternate or outtakes from DCs RCA releases? I know, I know that "Streets" is suppose to be leftover tracks but if you pay attention to that LPs history and makeup; that can only be marginally correct.

The organic "garage band" element that makes up those LPs and Bruce Johnstons and Bill Houses comments about those sessions leads me to believe that there may be a wealth of tape out there--

I would love to hear what you think or know

Dan
DANSHAY
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't surprise me if there was more material out there Sidney (and your E flat shaving kit).

The bootleg CD (I guess that is the best way to describe it) that came out with the alt tracks of I Never Saw You Comin' and Junked Heart Blues (in addition to I Can See Everything etc)...those were from the RCA sessions no?

With David allowed few opportunities to contribute to PF songs and knowing that he was writing or co-writing tunes since the days of the show it does make you wonder.

Higher They Climb....seems to be his only concept album while the others have a very distinct sound yet could be interchangable. I always felt a little cheated by Gettin' it in the Streets as save for a few tracks was a bit of a disappointment to me.

It's almost as if RCA gave up on him. Not sure what sales were like on those albums but Higher and Home is Where the Heart Is are great LPs in my opinion.

Welcome aboard the bus and great first post. I love talking about his RCA work. Are you a fan of DC Man Undercover as well? Cheesy in a big way but a lot of fun to watch. I usually give my DVDs a spin once a year.
MeanSidney
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officer Shay

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, "The bootleg CD (I guess that is the best way to describe it) that came out with the alt tracks of I Never Saw You Comin' and Junked Heart Blues (in addition to I Can See Everything etc)...those were from the RCA sessions no?"

Actually, no they were not. They were rerecorded as part of DC's scrapped 1979 MCA LP. There was a single released, "Hurt so Bad/Once a Fool" but when the single generated no interest MCA shelved the LP.

In regards to your other questions about RCA and "them giving up on DC". WHat people do not realize is that RCA was in dire straits by the mid 70's. What once had been a rock and roll label powerhouse had a very weak current artist roster and they spent most of the mid to late 70s signing a ton of "talent" trying to fix the problem. The ended up cutting most of them by the late 70s.
In DCs defense he was very up front with RCA; he told them he wouldnt tour or promote much. Essentially he wanted a lot of money to play around in the studio with his friends. . . and he got it.

By the time that "Streets" came out RCA seemed to grow tired of "helping someone who wouldnt help themselves", while they had spent a fair amount of money promoting Higher/Harder they thought DCs refusal to tour caused the LP to stiff. While David's RCA LPs were in the black financially they didnt do what RCA needed them to do.

I always thought it was ironic that RCA pulled the "Streets" LP from US release after the single failed to chart. RCA did not promote the single at all in the US and it managed to chart higher than any of DCs RCA singles in the USA. It bubbled under at 105 on the USA Billboard Charts.

Dan

Dan
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The songs "Hurt So Bad" & "Once A Fool" were released on Capitol back in 1978. Those songs can be found on David's "Classic Songs" on Curb Records on CD which was released in 1998 but it is no longer made.
MeanSidney
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hurt so Bad/Once a Fool single was released on Curb Records a Division of MCA Records in 1979. Catalog # MCA-41101

Dan
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake!!
MeanSidney
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew

Im just glad to find someone else that remembers! Sometimes it gets pretty lonely out here in DC post PF music world!

Dan
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mean, Hi Dan,
I managed to get the 'classic' songs from I-tunes. While the production values aren't that great, it seems to me, the vocals of the boy wonder are as a thoughtful and moving as ever.

There are certainly parts of 'streets' that are really great, I agree that itseems DC was flaying about conceptually. Too high on the drugs maybe...

Funny, I've always thought of HIWHI as a concept album too. Not sure why, maybe because the songs are so well chosen. It is one of those very rare albums that actually improves the more it is heard. It burns my butt (as a rabid defender fan) that it is not considered a 'classic'

Dreams are nuthin....should also be a classic concept album. IMHO

One last thing...where did you find DVDs of 'The Shay' I refuse to call it by its rightful name. I've seen some of the eps on You Tube, and would like to see more of the interesting camera angles they chose to film DC. Namely from hip level, to be sure we all could get a good look...No so subtle but very amusing....
Britfan
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of any more 'out-takes from the RCA sessions or any other experimentation he may have done during this period.

I'm just interested in any discussion on his music during this time frame. If it weren't for the RCA albums I probably wouldn't still be so interested in him and lament what could have or might have been.

I thought the Dreams are..... album interesting in the choice of songs and how even then, in his early twenties his voice had such a bluesy/soulful quality that was wasted on us (the teens we were then), for example, the maturity and ability displayed on Some Old Woman and Can't Go Home Again.

The three RCA albums I acquired from Japan are my most prized possessions. The first two wowed me but actually Streets really grew on me the more I played it and I cant understand how it was shelved for so long. Seeing as it's comprised of songs co-written by David - I love it! The boozy quality of Rosa's Cantina and I absolutely love Living a Lie, great, great song. David singing the ballad, I'll Have to Go Away, was breathtaking. He sounded a little different and really belted that one out, what a voice. I'm unfamiliar with the song, I know he didn't write that one but I wish he would sing it still today. AS far as I'm concerned, these albums showed his potential and what he was capable of. He really should have pushed more at that time but I know he was 'all over the place' emotionally.

As MeanSidney says "maybe RCA seemed to grow tired of 'helping someone who wouldn't help themselves'. That about sums up my thinking too. Hindsight eh? What music might have been if a different path was taken.

Well, enough of my ramblings. Smile
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britfan, can you please get out of my head!?! Laughing

How thrilled I'd be to discover "new" material from that period!! Wish I had info to share Sad What is the "bootleg" album?

When I rediscovered DC and the PF over a year and a half ago, I just about cried (who am I kidding? I flat out did) when I realized the lost potential after hearing Dreams and the three RCA albums.

At first, I discovered the RCA albums song by song via YT and they didn't thrill me as much as the PF catalogue. When I got the RCA albums and listened to them from start to finish, I appreciated them. I soon lost interest in the PF songs and listened to his solo efforts pretty much exclusively. That really surprised me because I thought the PF catalog was "stronger" than his. His albums really grew on me (like a fungus, but what a pretty fungus!). Found myself humming songs that I had dismissed at first listen (e.g. "Love in Bloom", "Rosa's Cantina") and today, I can't think of a track on those albums that I dislike. Once in a while, I listen to PF albums (and skip songs) but DC's solo work? Every friggin' day. And I don't skip songs.

Kiethlives, I love how you express your appreciation: "the vocals of the boy wonder are as a thoughtful and moving as ever."

OK, my turn to stop rambling.
summerdays71
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy David's RCA albums also. IMO, Gettin It In The Street is the best one, followed by The Higher They Climb The Harder They Fall. Home Is Where The Heart Is is good too but there's a lot of filler on that album. David's singing changed on these albums, and he now has a deeper, raspy throated voice. If unreleased tracks exist from those sessions, would be interesting to hear them that's for sure. David Cassidy would know if there are unreleased tracks but it seems he's not interested anymore about this part of his career. RCA was indeed a record label in decline, in the mid 70's they were a far cry from their heyday in the 50's and 60's. As much as I like David's RCA albums, I think he should have rocked out a lot more on those albums. Overall the music is too mellow, he wasn't going to be taken seriously by the critics with material like that. By the time DC finally released an album of harder rock in 1990, it was already too late.

I also have the Man Undercover series, they are the uncut shows not the versions trimmed for syndication. Cheesy 70's stuff no doubt about that. The first three episodes are not bad but after that it goes downhill fast. Still a must have though for the Cassidy fan of the 70's glory days.
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: DC's RCA's Reply with quote

I enjoy the LP's/CD's in the order they were released. In fact, I am listening to them at this very moment. AND I played all 3 of the CD's (on my computer in my iTunes) yesterday as well. I just enjoy the fact that I can listen to this music after many decades of not being able to hear them. "This Could Be The Night", "Love In Bloom", "A Fool In Love", "Bedtime", "Rosa's Cantina" & "Junked Heart Blues" will make me stop what I am doing and just listen to them.
I have always enjoyed each release in their entirety and will continue to do so.
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: I Wonder Reply with quote

What I find interesting is that John Lennon and David Cassidy both recorded "Be-Bop-A-Lula" around the same time. Lennon for his "Rock And Roll" album. Cassidy for his "The Higher They Climb....." album. I wonder if Cassidy & Lennon each were aware of it at the time. I throughly enjoy each version.

I would also be interested if there were/are any other tracks recorded or outtakes. It would be great to see these RCA albums recieve a treatment like "The Rod Stewart Sessions 1971-1998" box set.
irving
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info about the "Gettin' it in the Streets" single reaching #105 on the Billboard chart Dan/MeanSidney!

Would you happen to know if any of his other albums and singles such as "Dreams are nuthin more than wishes" and The Partridge Family Bullitan Board charted on the bubbling under chart?

Thanks Dan!
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Charts Reply with quote

Both "Dreams" & "Bulletin Board" did NOT chart on Billboards Bubbling Under The Top 200 Album Charts!!! It goes from 201 - 226. On the Billboard's Hit Records Chart (which goes from 101 - 150) (1959 - 1982) (which came out in 2012) David Cassidy "Get It Up For Love" went to # 135 (RCA) in August 1975 while Shaun Cassidy "Midnight Sun" went to # 103 in December 1978, Shaun "Are You Afraid Of Me?" went to # 108 in October 1979 & Shaun (with Todd Rundgren & Utopia) "So Sad About Us" went to # 117 in January 1981 all on Warner/Curb. The Partridge Family did NOT chart in the Hit Records book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: