[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode # 53: "Each Dawn I Diet"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Episode # 53: "Each Dawn I Diet" Reply with quote

Each Dawn I Diet
Written by Lloyd Turnet & Gordon Mitchell

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing! I just finished watching this.

The first thought that comes to mind is that this is the perfect episode to watch over New Year's! It's all about will power, and how many of us are going to be putting ours to the test over the next few days and weeks.

My second thought is that...Danny doesn't look fat at all in this episode! He gets, um, heftier later in the series, but I don't see it yet. Sure, he's a little untoned, as many kids are at that age, but he's certainly not fat. It's too bad this episode was so hard for him. (I just finished reading the interview in People and Places.)

The third immediate thought is that the wacky Television Code was a pain in the backside, wasn't it? By the time this show was on the air, people weren't allowed to be seen smoking unless it was portrayed in a negative light. That's why we see Mr. K smoking for the first and last time in this episode. No room for continuity when you have moronic legislators horning in on our entertainment.

Did you know that there are actually entire classic game shows that are not allowed to be shown on GSN today simply because they were sponsored by cigarette companies back then? That's idiotic! First of all, it's not like impressionable children want to watch some old black and white game show, and the ones who DO are way past the point of being influenced by cigarette ads (which they would edit out, anyway). So much great television history is barred because of bureaucratic oafs.

I think I'm going to officially have my middle name changed to: "But I Digress". ;-)

This episode is fun to watch again, because now we know that Danny and Dave Madden had a much closer relationship (almost father-son) than was revealed at the time. They really were a fun comedy team at the time.

Happy New Year, everyone! Thanks for posting this intro, Scott. I hope you'll be keeping them coming and I hope you had a nice, restful holiday. I wish you a low-stress 2010 that includes (selfishly) this website. Wink Smile
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Danny is not that large in this episode and does look heftier in other episodes later on.

Kinda makes this episode a bit out of order. Also, I agree that Reuben's smoking is a bit out of place since we never saw it any other time. Also, Reuben looks padded at the end since I don't think he gained any real weight during the filming

Was smoking completely banned from network TV at this time? Considering that in 1984 Sonny Crockett of Miami Vice smoked all the time in the first 2 seasons I think we need to research the timing a bit ( a stink was raised and Crockett did suddenly stop smoking in Season 3 with no explanation)

I like that Keith is actually writing the song at the beginning that is sung at the the end.

Of course, since the episode caused me to watch clothes and bodies more what was Susan wearing in the last scene? That Top she had on looked like a tent! What were they thinking? She most definitely never had an overweight problem and if they were trying to hide her lack of weight it was definitely over done.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection about Miami Vice (and this is just off the top of my head and I'm too tired to research it right now Wink) is that whatsisname Mann was being very rebellious by letting Sonny smoke and said he wasn't going to follow the dictates of the Television Code. At some point, Grant Tinker, who was NBC entertainment president at the time, lowered the boom and insisted there would be no drug references on any NBC shows (which was hard on late night and SNL...in fact, they made jokes about it, but couldn't violate the rule). I think that's why season three of MV was smoke-free.

I think I'm right on this, but I won't quibble if anyone disagrees. It's been a long day. I'm kind of REM-surfing right now. Rolling Eyes Laughing
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: