[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Season 3! Episode #50: "This Male Chauvinist Piggy Went

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Three
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Season 3! Episode #50: "This Male Chauvinist Piggy Went Reply with quote

This Male Chauvinist Piggy Went To Market
Written by Dale McRaven

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
GeoffB40
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best episodes of the entire series in my opinion. The girls vs boys theme is handled with restraint to comedic effect. James Carroll Jordan as Goose still looks too clean cut to be an effective hood, bit given the limtations of the role still plays it well. This was one of his first television roles. The confrontation scene following the park performance is well played by all involved.

"God Bless You Girl" has become mythical in PF fandom as one of the most recognized and requested of the unreleased songs. It is also one of my favourites as well.

You can see the cast obviously must have had fun making this episode, one where you can easily see just how short DC really was compared to Susan Dey and other cast members!
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention David's last line: You ruined my homework! etc
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I chime in? I agree that the post-concert confrontation scene is well played by all but I think that David really shines in it. You clearly see the fear and resignation play in his eyes. He's the most subtle and believable of the bunch here.

On another note, "posters all over the city"? You'd think that kind of publicity would attract a bigger crowd than it did. Even as a kid watching this show, stuff like that bugged me.

It's one of my favorite episodes as well.
alain m. bergeron
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best musical numbers of all four seasons. The way David is moving and singing ; the mean bass Dany's playing ; even Tracy singing those "Ooooo"s. And the song "God bless you girl", one of the main reasons why there should be an unrealeased songs album.
merci !
BLUEBIRD
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeDee wrote:
Can I chime in? I agree that the post-concert confrontation scene is well played by all but I think that David really shines in it. You clearly see the fear and resignation play in his eyes. He's the most subtle and believable of the bunch here.

On another note, "posters all over the city"? You'd think that kind of publicity would attract a bigger crowd than it did. Even as a kid watching this show, stuff like that bugged me.

It's one of my favorite episodes as well.

DeeDee, I love your observation of the last scene! I did like the way DC played it! The fear and also a glimmer of determination and defiance too. I never noticed that before!

As for the posters all over town, I believe Keith once said that the town was so small, it had 'very little edge'....so maybe they only needed small amount of posters?? Also, LOVE this song too! Very Happy Very Happy Wink
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That non-fight scene has an actual influence on my life. I found myself in that exact situation in high school, and I gave pretty much the same speech that Keith did...and it worked! I was sure I was going to get punched in the face, but the kid who wanted to fight me even said he respected me. It was uncanny! Television came through for me in a big way! (It always has.)

Pardon me for not being a gourmet, but did you really need to sift flour in the 70s? My mom was constantly baking, but I don't remember her ever sifting flour.

This is a very funny episode. Lots of great lines and the chemistry of the cast is at its best here. Love it!

I just noticed at the end, Danny says, "If you need me, I'll be in the kitchen reading Snakeman." If you look at his lips, he actually said, "Spider-Man", but they looped "Snakeman" in over it.
DeeDee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord, that IS uncanny. Good for you for having the presence of mind to recall the speech in such a circumstance!

You're probably right about the flour. My mom didn't sift it either but I do remember that her recipes always called for "sifted flour". Nowadays, recipes just list "flour" as an ingredient as today's flour really doesn't need sifting. When I started baking, I learned that sifting used to be done to remove lumps or clumps. A whisk does the same job with less mess.

About the Snakeman/Spiderman thing: did I read somewhere that they did this for the DVD release?

Bluebird, I see the glimmer of defiance in DC's eyes as well! Perhaps more so than resignation. I wouldn't be surprised if DC had been drawing from real life experience when he played that scene.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry got behind in the holiday goings on, so I 'm catching up today.
This is one of the episodes where you don't see Keith looking dumb all through out.
Yeah, he was a bit egotistical making the bet in the first place, but I think most guys were that way at the time.

Of course, taking the high road at the end with Goose actually made him more of a man than ever, because he wasn't letting his ego get in the way and showed Goose up for the real sad bully he is.

Having recently dealt with a thought to be good friend who thinks he can bully his way out of any situation and that folks will just cater to him I can respect the example Keith set by being bound and determined to rise above Goose's bullying and be a dignified holder of principles.

On the lighter side, the sifting flous scene is funny. I think most flour is now sold pre sifted, but I remember my Mom sifting flour when I was young, so I think the question is what the bag says.

Of course, I know more about cars than my husband since I was driving more years and my Dad had only girls and worried about us on the road so I 'm not afraid to open the hood of the car, and was the best girl at it in my high school, althought I never learned how to do spark plugs at least when I go the mechanice, I have some idea of what their talking about and I don't get ripped off.
TheBops
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord, very good observation regarding the "Snakeman" vs. "Spiderman" line. In fact, Danny's voice sounds different from when he is speaking while sitting down vs. standing up. It appears that maybe the two or three sentences spoken while standing were dubbed in? Why though would they have to do this? Is it a copyright thing even saying the name "Spiderman" in a DVD release of a TV series from decades ago?

The stand-in for goose when he is flipped is very obvious if you pause it right before he is taken down. The general body of the stand-in is about right but the hair is way off. I think it may be a stand-in for Susan Dey too but if it is, they got it very close.

Useless observation: I like to look for things that get captured during filming that isn't part of the show. For example, during the last shot of the scene where Keith has the standoff with Goose, you can see someone washing their blue car in the background right in the middle of the shot between Keith, Shirley and Laurie. I am guessing that he wasn't part of the show and just happened to be washing a car while they were filming.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I'm guessing if there was dubbing going on it happened when the show was in production, not for the DVD. But I can't figure out why they would have had to do it unless they thought "Snakeman" was funnier, which in a way it is. Very Happy
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of the "tough guy" characters David played prior to PF came out in this episode. The fierceness in the eyes & the set of his jaw.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Three All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: