[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #47: The Partridge Papers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Episode #47: The Partridge Papers Reply with quote

The Partridge Papers
Written by William S. Bickley

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Mission: Impossible" spoof said in TV Guide back then.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to watch this in the morning, but I couldn't sleep (OD'ing on the David autographgate, which I just discovered this weekend...yes I'm a little out of the loop!)...so let's travel from the insanity of "will David sign my Partiridge Family Fan Club Thong", to something a little more sublime...one of my favorite episodes of The Partridge Family.

I've made no secret that I have loved Susan Dey since I first laid eyes on her (no one could lean into her organ like Laurie Partridge), but the week when she was voted Miss Dill Pickle was utter joy for me! She's so beautiful and this is the episode where Susan gets to practically get...wacky! I am in LOVE!!! Very Happy

I have written a "journal" for decades and I have ALWAYS called it a "journal" rather than the girly "diary" name. It's actually entitled, "Looking For Clues", after the Robert Palmer song, but when I refer to it, I call it a journal.

This is a delightful look at what we see in our present-day lives. YELLOW JOURNALISM! (I'm a radio reporter, so I'm not unfamiliar with the concept, although I would never admit to being a participant in such a sordid element of my profession!)

But, Lawdy, would I love to have read Page 24 of Laurie's diary!!! Wink Was page 24 about Snake??? Gah! The mind reels!!! :lol:

Marvin was a scoundrel, but I knew right from the start that he had a thing for the TRULY sexiest Partridge. (Kindred spirits) I mean, what would provoke Laurie to go to such desperate depths as to play on her feminine wiles to "flirt" her brothers into getting her "journal" back!? She had to pull out all of the tricks in her arsenal. And she had faced no bigger arsenal than Marvin!!! Rolling Eyes

My absolute favorite part of this episode was the "break-in". How Watergate-y! It started off with the Mission Impossible tie-in (hi, Matthew!) Watching Keith, Laurie and Danny break into the newspaper offices was thrilling! Then tension mounted when Officer Arthur Carlson (before he became the Station Manager of some radio station in Cincinnati) almost thwarted their plans!

"Who'd want to steal my diary?" Hee hee. Funniest line of the episode, but so understated. I let that hang out in the air. You have to watch the episode again to "get" it!

Wouldn't it have been nice if Marvin and Laurie actually made a go of it? When Laurie landed her dream job as a civil-rights lawyer at Mackenzie Brackman in L.A., Marvin could have become the lead investigative reporter at The Los Angeles Tribune, under the capable tutelage of veteran reporter, Lou Grant. (In case anyone is wondering, the color of the sky in my world is blue...a beautiful baby blue...)

And to think it all started with a small B&E in San Pueblo, California.

Segue to "It's One Of Those Nights (Yes, Love)! Sorry. Bruce. I'm the boy mooning over Laurie in this segment. I don't know what happened, but somehow my face gets superimposed over yours everytime I watch this. Them's the breaks.

This is actually one of the best "performances" of a song on this series. David and Shirley were always "into" their performances, but if you watch this one, Laurie is REALLY into it, too (it was her episode, after all), and even the three-shot of Danny, Tracey and Chris is really a commitment from each of them to the song. I think they (the producers) were starting to realize that we fans were paying attention to the performances. This "performance" made me love the song, even though--as a single--I didn't think it was that strong. (I actually thought, "Last Night", would have been a better single.)

Oh my God, Laurie is SO sexy in this performance (even though I didn't know what sexy was back then)!

The denouement of the episode is delightful, and shows the early signs of Laurie's emergence as a cracker-jack lawyer. "You read the diary? I read the letter!" Brilliant! Steven Bochco would be proud!
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord,

You are right, this episode is a shining moment for Susan Dey.

But, one thing I noticed about this episode and its telling for the character of Shirley. She ain't stupid.
While she gave Keith, Laurie, and Danny some leeway, she knew they were up to something. She asks " How long do you need?"
I have always had a problem with sitcoms where the parents are made to look stupid so the kids look smart. Not good writing.

Of course, she didn't approve of the break-in, but she gave them the benefit of the doubt beforehand.
Love the Mission Impossible reference and Gordon Jump as the cop.
His guest turns were always funny Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: