[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #29: The Undergraduate

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Episode #29: The Undergraduate Reply with quote

The Undergraduate
Written by Susan Silver Directed by Ralph Senensky Produced by Larry Rosen
Original Air Date: October 8, 1971

When Shirley takes a college psychology course, a 19-year-old student named Paul Bruner falls in love with her!
Guest Cast: Michael Burns, Norman Fell, Ann Morgan Guilbert, Carol O'Leary

Song:
"Brown Eyes," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell and Danny Janssen (on The Partridge Family Sound Magazine)

Tube Trivia:
Norman Fell is best known as Stanley Roper on "Three's Company" and "The Ropers."
Ann Morgan Guilbert is best known as Millie Helper on "The Dick Van Dyke Show."
Michael Burns is remembered as Blue Boy on "Dragnet".
This is one of the first songs written for the Partridge Family by Danny Janssen, who also re-wrote the opening theme lyrics for Season 2. He wrote the hit song, "Something's Wrong With Me" for Austin Roberts in 1972. Mr. Janssen also wrote and produced the music for "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" "Johnny Whitaker, and "Josie and the Pussycats," among others.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course,all the references to "the Graduate" are fun. I admit I had not seen the movie when I first saw this episode back in 1971, but I have seen it since and I must admit that the shot of Shirley from behind facing the Bruners is very reminiscent of Anne Bancrofts famous scene where she shows off her legs to Dustin Hoffman.

Of course, the fact that Norman Fell also appeared in "The Graduate" also has some definite irony. I guess that's why he knows the movie. Very Happy

It strike me as a bit odd though when Paul says that he should pay more attention to the pictures on the Partridge albums, yet he recongizes Keith Partridge immediately when he comes to the door.

Interesting too that Shirley has performed in leg revealing costume before in "and the Memory Lingers On", however, that was an emergency and she did have black fishnet stockings on then.

Great episode for me to catch on a Monday lunch. Glad the club is still going and thanks to Dean-o and Scott for keeping up, I'll try and be more prompt when out of town family has left.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley Partridge: Sex Symbol... Not every sitcom mom could pull off wearing hotpants, but Shirley could. And giving her an opportunity to do something surprising to her kids was great. The guest cast was fun (especially Norman Fell as the dad) and the way Paul switches from Shirley to Laurie in the course of just one dinner was a nice, neat sitcom resolution for the plot.

"Brown Eyes" is a fun song (I've always liked the ballads best) and worked just fine. I do have to say I miss the on the road situations a bit, but still a good episode.

Jeff
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always love watching this episode because it makes me laugh (now that I'm a dirty old man) that when I was a boy watching the hot pants scene, all I could see was Laurie. Then, when I caught a rerun of the episode in the 90s, all I could see was Shirley! Laughing Li'l Gord is all grown up. Razz (Apologies to Suzanne...I'm sure if I had been a few years younger, I would have been all agog over your hot pants, too!)

I remember at the time--and it strikes me again--that the collegiate-sounding music that plays when Shirley walks across the campus at the beginning of the episode always reminded me of "I Don't Know How To Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar.

Kathy, until you brought it up, I never thought of the wink to the audience when Norman Fell says, "We SAW The Graduate". Very funny! I love the entire scene with the parents. Cringe-inducingly funny for our poor Shirl.

It's interesting to note that Michael Burns, who played Paul, went on to a distinguished career as a college professor at Mount Holyoke in Massachusetts. Maybe he got the academic bug after spending some time "on campus" with Mrs. Hot Pants! Laughing

LOL line: "Want our autograph? It's cheap." Danny to Paul, when he arrives for dinner. Laughing That Danny!
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but before PF, Michael was known as the guy who painted himself blue in the infamous LSD episode of Dragnet!
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: