[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episde #28: A Man Called Snake

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Episde #28: A Man Called Snake Reply with quote

A Man Called Snake
Written by Chuck Shyer & Alan Mandel Directed by Richard Kinon Produced by Larry Rosen
Original Air Date: October 1, 1971

When a burly biker names Snake roars into Laurie's life, she finds him sensitive, and invites him to her school prom!
Guest Cast: Rob Reiner, Bryan O'Byrne, Michael Gregory, Henry Olek, Sandi Schrader, Mark Malmborg, Bobby Griffin

Song:
"Listen To The Sound," music and lyrics by John Michael Hill (Unreleased on commercial LP; on Screen Gems Volume 3)

Tube Trivia:
Rob Reiner is best known for his portrayal of Michael "Meathead" Stivic on "All in the Family." He is a well-known director of such films as "Stand By Me," "This Is Spinal Tap," "When Harry Met Sally," "An American President," and "A Few Good Men." He was married to Penny Marshall and is the son of Carl Reiner.
Snake returns in Episode 54.
Bryan O'Bryne also appeared as Snake's father in Episode 54.
Henry Olek also appeared in Episodes 54 and 88.
"Cherish," David Cassidy's first solo single was in stores when this episode aired. It reaches #9 on the Billboard charts on November 13.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some fun photos in the Gallery section for Season 2. I have tons more I just haven't had time to add yet. In the meantime, here's the direct link for you:

http://www.cmongethappy.com/gallery/season2

So far there are three pages for Season Two, so look around. Very Happy
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing This is definitely one of my favorite episodes! From beginning to end, it's hilarious! I think my favorite scenes are Snake's initial visit the family, where he mistakenly believes Keith (as well as Laurie) to have a crush on him but, despite being a macho man, isn't offended by the prospect; and Keith and Danny's "confrontation" with Snake's gang, from which they're "rescued" by the man in question! Truly a FUN episode overall! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing :lol:

O/T: Our own DC and Rob Reiner are giddily reunited in the outtakes of "Spirit Of '76", which is really a FUN movie -- as I'm sure we all know, but for the remaining few who haven't seen it, DO SO! As I say, even the outtakes are hysterical! Wink
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished watching this one tonight, love the scene with Snake driving his motorcycle into the hallway of Laurie's school, and offering her a ride upstairs in the school..... how funny! and then her friend ask "I wonder if he had a hall pass". Love the song in this episode also.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72 wrote:

O/T: Our own DC and Rob Reiner are giddily reunited in the outtakes of "Spirit Of '76", which is really a FUN movie -- as I'm sure we all know, but for the remaining few who haven't seen it, DO SO! As I say, even the outtakes are hysterical! Wink

Really? It's a good film? I've never seen it, although I have the DVD. Laughing (One of WAY too many that I own and have never watched. Laughing ) I'll have to check it out. I always though it was pretty bad. Dunno where or why I thought that, through Confused
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Scott: Cool

'Thought I was the ONLY one who bought DVDs, then let 'em languish on the shelf till I get around to watchin' 'em! Embarassed Nice to know I'm in such good company! :wink:

The critics were pretty cruel regarding "Spirit Of '76", and maybe I'm just being prejudiced, but I enjoyed the movie. Thought the twin protagonists/musicians were adorable in their slacker-dude efforts to help DC and Company make it back to their own time; Leif Garrett was really funny as DC's romantic rival for the lovely, sexy Olivia D'Abo, and all the 70s jokes were dead-on (from the hair to the clothes to the Top Ramen Noodles, I was giggling!). I loved it when DC looks pointedly at the PF lunchbox, but says nothing -- he doesn't need to as his face says it all, the nut! It's really a cute movie, and much better than expected. IMHO anyway. :lol:

Now, what really STANK ON ICE was "Instant Karma" (caught it on cable one night a few years ago)! YIKES!!! Shocked The only times this movie was even remotely interesting, were the few scenes with DC as the self-absorbed, drug-addicted, TV-Cop star, "Reno"! Aside from these, the rest of the movie was a waste of time and effort. Again, JMHO. Wink
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was "Pop Star?" Has anyone seen that? That's the one where he wears the bad wig, I think.

:::sigh::: Yes, I own that one too and never watched it. Laughing
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need a support group. Non-Watchers Anonymous! (Wait. NWA? Um, I think that's already taken...anyway...) I am in the club, because I've got so many DVDs that I've never watched that I have put a moritorium on buying new DVDs until I watch the ones I have!

Well, sort of...I actually bought the Saturday Morning Cartoons 1970s Volume 1 collection yesterday...I've never seen Goober and The Ghost Chasers, so--as a good Partridge Family fan--I have to fix that! NOW!!!

It's going to be a rainy weekend here, so my plan is to watch all the cheesy Saturday morning shows I can stomach (including Everything's Archie and The Hudson Brothers Razzle Dazzle Show), and then delve back into The Partridge Family. I've been away from the DVD club far too long! I'm starting back up with A Man Called Snake and then see how many others I can get caught up on.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a bowl of unhealthy sugary cereal calling my name... Laughing
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that Rob Reiner did this episode after All In The Family was already a hit.

I still laugh when the teacher gives Laurie the rock that Snake threw in the window, saying, "It's for you!" Laughing I liked that Laurie came around to seeing Snake is more than what he appeared to be on the outside. She was originally conceived as a bit of a social activist, after all. The counter culture would have been right up her alley.

Listen To The Sound is one of the best of the "lost" PF songs! I still hold out hope that it will be released one day (as we all do, I'm sure). Brian sure rocks out on those drums, doesn't he! ;-)

Incidentally, I can't believe they recast this role with Stuart Margolin, who's 12 years older than Susan Dey. How many years of high school did Snake fail, anyway??? Laughing
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I haven't watched the episode yet, will do so before the weekend i over though, but had to comment about the unwatched DVD's.

I have a bad habit of that too, been catching up a bit during the summer since a number of the regular shows I watch have been on break, however, I will always be behind and it's hard to keep the no buy before I'm caught up rule but I will renew it now.

I have "Pop Star" and it's not too awful. Seeing DC basically play Reuben Kincaid is funny and Leif Garrett plays an interesting wise old sage custoidan.

Haven't seen "instant Karma" doesn't seem to hit my cable and My husband doesn't really want me to buy VHS since I haven't seen this on DVD.

Just remembered though one of my favorite parts of "A man called Snake" being at the end when he replaces the pink flamingo and makes the comment about the bird being hot.

I'll get the exact quote when I watch it later.
KathySTL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched it at lunch forgot that it was part of a poem.

Rob Reiner was wonderful in this role. Shame he wasn't able to reprise it later.

A somewhat topical epsisode when you realize that there is a message about judging people by their looks, even though Snake also doesn't fit it in with the Partridges life styel ultimately.

2 nit picks that struck me. The guys at the dance taunt him about long hair but Keith also has longer hair than they do.
Also, Laurie's example to Shirley about why she should go out with Snake and not hurt him because of his looks mentions her having braces at nine, but didn't we have an episode a year ago about her getting braces?

Still best way to spend my lunch hour.
Very Happy
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late but here it is...

Focused on Laurie and using the magazine article angle (which I think they used a couple more times for setting up a stressful situation) is always good for laughs. The opportunity to get past "judging someone by their looks" was a good lesson and Laurie's willingness to dance the boxstep with Snake at the dance shows just how mature she could be...

"Listen to the Sound" has been a favorite of mine (of the unreleased songs) since it first aired.

Danny and Keith approaching the motorcycle gang was clever and fun.

Rob Reiner was terrific as Snake and as much as I like Stuart Margolin, I thought Reiner's Snake was just right... hard to choose who I think was better... so I won't.

Jeff
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: