[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

SEASON TWO! Episode #26: Dora, Dora, Dora
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: SEASON TWO! Episode #26: Dora, Dora, Dora Reply with quote

Dora, Dora, Dora
Written by Lloyd Turner & Gordon Mitchell Directed by Ralph Senensky Produced by Larry Rosen
Original Air Date: September 17, 1971

To repay a favor, Reuben promises that the Partridge Family will appear at an event. There is one hitch . . . they must back up a beautiful young girl who can't sing a note on key!
Guest Cast: Robyn Millan, Jack Burns

Songs:
"I Woke Up In Love This Morning," music and lyrics by Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown (on The Partridge Family Sound Magazine)
"I Left My Heart In San Francisco," (Dora) music and lyrics by Douglass Cross and George Cory (Unreleased on commercial LP) (on Screen Gems Volume 4)

Tube Trivia:
This is the first episode of the second season.
Brian Forster replaces Jeremy Gelbwaks in the role of Chris Partridge. Tiger Beat's Official Partridge Family Magazine introduced him in their August, 1971 issue. To read it, click here: http://www.cmongethappy.com/eguide/brianhello.htm
This is one of the only episodes to show Tracy playing with her Patti Partridge doll (also available in stores). Wanna see it? Click here: http://www.cmongethappy.com/eguide/Suzanne_Patti.jpg
Jack Burns was a regular on "The Andy Griffith Show," as well as "Getting Together" with Bobby Sherman. He also co-hosted "The Burns and Schreiber Comedy Hour with Avery Schreiber.
The music stays the same, but the theme song lyrics are changed to "C'Mon Get Happy," written by Danny Janssen.
During the summer hiatus, "I'll Meet You Halfway" was released. It was The Partridge Family's third single, peaking at #9 in June, 1971. At first, Wes Farrell had considered releasing "Morning Rider On The Road" instead (a song Tony Romeo had originally written for Glen Campbell). Strangely, "Morning Rider On The Road" was never used in an episode.
In early May, while the series was on hiatus, Wes Farrell and the Partridge Family musicians and singers reunite in the studio to start working on songs for "The Partridge Family Sound Magazine." (Although the original title was "The New Partridge Family Album".) The album is released in July. It hits #9 on the charts in September. In August, they start working on "A Partridge Family Christmas Card."
"I Woke Up In Love This Morning" was the Partridge Family's fourth hit single, rising to #13 on the Billboard charts, on August 21, 1971.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if we can get more people participating in this club, huh? Laughing Gord -- where are you?? You're the one that spearheaded this club and you're MIA! Laughing Poor Kathy is pretty much here all alone with the crickets.

What else would you guys like the see with this section? Why aren'tcha all participating? Very Happy Confused
catgil
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this episode. It's so funny and just about sums up how shallow Keith was:) In fact S2 is my favourite. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg! this episode is so funny what with Keith being tone deaf when it comes to Dora, and the scene with Shirley and her father is hilarious, and the end where she is on stage at the naval base and all these guys could care less what she sounds like.... it's amazing some times how much I can laugh at something that is over 30 years old. Real fun episode to watch.

Dean-o
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-fell in love with "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco" after hearing David sing it a cappalla. I love his voice. And the closing concer when nu-Chris gives up the drums after realizing no one can hear him anyway!
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CassidyDiva wrote:
I re-fell in love with "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco" after hearing David sing it a cappalla. I love his voice.

{{{Sigh}}} Me, too. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I just wish he'd recorded and released it as well. David is SUCH an immense talent overall. Like Sinatra, Bennett, Mathis and Como, he's one of the GREATEST crooners of all time IMHO! Wink
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were originally going to use "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" for the song that Dora butchers. They even went so far as to have Jackie Ward record three versions, each with varying degrees of being off-key. But in the end, they opted for "I Left My Heart In San Fransisco." Jackie's recordings are on a Screen Gems LP. :D

Also, David dated Robyn Millan for a while after they met filming this episode. I'll have to dig up some photos I have of the two of them. :D

Does anybody remember the comedy team of Burns & Schreiber? Jack Burns and Avery Schreiber had a comedy act (and I think a summer replacement series) and they were quite funny. Jack Burns also voiced the bigoted next-door neighbor on "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home," if anybody remembers that series. (Usually syndicated and airing at 7:30 PM in most markets in the early 70s.)
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favorite bit of this espisode was Keith's sneaking ever so carefully into the house, up the stairs and into his room -- only to be confronted by his siblings regarding his inability to tell Dora the truth about her singing. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jack Burns also replaced Don Knotts as Andy Griffith's hapless deputy on "The Andy Griffith Show" for a time. The man's hysterical. Very Happy

And I LOVED that cartoon, "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home"! Too bad it didn't last past the first season. Rolling Eyes
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72 wrote:

And I LOVED that cartoon, "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home"! Too bad it didn't last past the first season. Rolling Eyes

Two seasons. 48 episodes. Very Happy
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Jack Burns was the announcer for the ABC show "Fridays" featuring a unknown Michael Richards (from "Seinfeld") which ran from 1980-1982.
Skizzy
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite scene, Shirley trying to explain the facts of life to Keith. Great episode, one of my favorites from the second season.
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly funny episode.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is also the first time we see Tracy with her "Patti Partridge" doll. She's holding it when Dora is singing the Partridge's garage.
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait just one cotton pickin minute! that was not Robyn Millan butchering I Left my Heart in San Francisco.... next your gonna tell me that Susan, Danny, Brian and Suzanne did not sing back up for David....... Rolling Eyes

I also seem to recall hearing about David and Robyn dating for a time, I also vaguely remember her being on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson ........... I think to discuss a playboy layout she had done, but that was years ago kiddies and my memory is not as good as it use to me...lol

Dean-o
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't say it wasn't Robyn on the songs. I said Jackie recorded "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling." Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season Two All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: