[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Most Unusual DC/PF Items On eBay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Most Unusual DC/PF Items On eBay? Reply with quote

Hey guys: :D

Consideration of Darryl's recent post regarding that eBay seller who was hawking PF Magazine COVERS for $20 a copy!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked ) got to me to thinking about some of the most unusual DC/PF items I've seen offered there. I think the STRANGEST thing I've ever seen in THIS catagory was a 35-year-old box of "Raisin Bran" Shocked Shocked Shocked that had a "photographic portrait" of David/Keith Surprised on its back cover -- for an opening bid of $300!!! YIKES AND GADZOOKS!!! Confused Confused Confused

While I don't recall ever having seen these back in the '70s, I wonder just how well they sold even then given that most kids (myself included) were more into "Cap'n Crunch", "Apple Jacks" and "Sugar Crisp" than "Raisin Bran" back then! Razz Come to that, I STILL dislike "Raisin Bran" cereal -- though I must admit enjoying the muffins nowadays. Laughing

Anyway, I can't help wondering what's the STRANGEST, ODDEST, WEIRDEST DC/PF item YOU've seen? Laughing

Best to all,
Sabrina Wink
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing that auction.
I think the strangest item I saw was a small pill box with
PF on the lid. Of course it was one of those cheap non-licensed items you see on eBay.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is an old box of cereal a weird item? It's pretty rare to find an uncut box with the PF on the back. It's also hard to find the Hi-C labels with the PF on the back.
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I dunno, it just struck me as ODD that anyone would hang on to a 35-year-old box of cereal!!! Shocked Then again, I'm assuming that the box remained unopened, the contents intact -- which probably isn't very likely when I think about it! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed In this light, it would seem that cigar bands and match boxes (which I've also seen) would have been more appropriate to this topic. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Randy64
Official Bus Driver

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pill box actually reads "cmon get happy" on the lid. A dear friend gave me one as a gift. I find it a most appropriate place to keep my "happy pills." Wink Laughing
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of containers, I recall seeing a cigarette case that bears (no pun intended) DC's 1972 Rolling Stone cover as its cover, I kid you not! Laughing
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72 wrote:
Oh, I dunno, it just struck me as ODD that anyone would hang on to a 35-year-old box of cereal!!! Shocked Then again, I'm assuming that the box remained unopened, the contents intact -- which probably isn't very likely when I think about it! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed In this light, it would seem that cigar bands and match boxes (which I've also seen) would have been more appropriate to this topic. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't have the cigar bands, but I do have a few match boxes (1 DC & 1PF).
The cigarette case with DC's 1972 Rolling Stone cover is probably not official merchandise.

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider the cereal to be weird. Rare, sure but not weird. Laughing No weirder than finding a cereal box with the Archies/Bobby Sherman 45 rm's on the back, uncut. :lol:

The match books are official? Never seen them. The cigar bands are from some international territory, I think. Very Happy Yes, I think those are weird. I heard there were trading cards out there too. How bizarre is that?? :shock:

I saw PF cartoon marbles on eBay a few weeks ago. Pissed me off, as they obviously stole the art (that I created especially for the site, BTW) from the website's PF toon section.
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Darryl: Very Happy

Over the past couple years, I've purchased a few sets of cigar bands from an eBay seller in Canada, a very nice man, and not unreasonable with his pricing. I'll PM you the info in case you're interested.

As to the matchboxes, well, I always wanted those, but the sellers could only accept PayPal, which I didn't have. Oh, well... Confused

I saw the cigarette case recently on Amazon.Com for about $10. Like you say, it probably isn't official, of course. What with the advent of eBay and the like, and so many creative individuals currently manufacturing new merchandise, I tend to wonder who NOW owns DC and TPF's "likenesses" in that David once noted that he didn't back in the '70s, though he did receive what turned out to be a VERY minor percentage of the overall profits, poor guy. Mad

Sabrina Wink
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
The match books are official?

Sorry, I meant to say original (as they were made back in the 70s.)
I just see a lot of what I call fake merchandise on eBay
Like the marbles you mentioned.
I don't consider all the newly created 'merchandise' on eBay to have any value. I've been seeing a lot of DC mouse pads on eBay.

Darryl
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the mouse pads too, They come from Hong Kong if Memory serves. I have a box of Star Trek cereal right now. Yeah, that seems to be the new marketing thing, put out a cereal with the franchise name.
It' basically Lucky Charms as far as flavor. I'm eating the cereal and when its done I'll probably flatten the box and save it in a sheet protector.

Seems silly to waste the food product and less likely to attract creepy crawly things. I wish the cardboard records we had survived my Mom's purge back in the day... I don't know ... I'm heading to my Dad's in a bit maybe I'll check around....but I know my Bobby Sherman lunch box disappeared years ago... Mom didn't think it was worth anything... she didn't know...
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Thrown Away Reply with quote

Yeah, my Mom threw away some of my stuff that could be worth a TON of money these days! That's what happens when we move out. Our parents weren't concerned about us being out on our own in the world. They just wanted to throw out our stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Garage: Merchandise & Other Fun Stuff All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: