[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #21: Partridge Up A Pear Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Episode #21: Partridge Up A Pear Tree Reply with quote

Partridge Up A Pear Tree
Written by Lloyd Turner and Gordon Mitchell Directed by Ralph Senensky Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: February 19, 1971

After giving Danny the right to manage his money, Keith works an assortment of odd jobs to raise money to repair his car and take his girlfriend to the prom.
Guest Cast: Annete O'Toole, Carl Ballantine, Joseph Perry

Song:
"You Are Always On My Mind," music and lyrics by Tony Romeo (on Up To Date)

Tube Trivia:
Annette O'Toole has appeared in over 30 motion pictures, including "Superman III," "Smile," "One on One," "King of the Gypsies," "48 Hours," and "Final Justice." She has appeared in dozens of TV series and movies, and is best known for her roles on "Nash Bridges," and "Smallville" as Clark Kent's mother, Martha.
Carl Ballantine is a comedian and magician best known for his role on "McHale's Navy."
Joseph Perry was also in Episodes 71 and 84.
GAF used this episode as the basis for their very first Partridge Family View Master, "The Money Manager!"

Last edited by Scott on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:36 am; edited 4 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this episode. It shows the new PF house facade. It was also the episode used in the very first PF ViewMaster (called "The Money Manager.")
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fun episode.. I had forgotten that Annette O'Toole had done a guest role. She is very good as Carol. Really funny when the episode opens and Keith is already borrowing from everyone and are surprised that Danny is the one with all the cash?

you gotta love the theme of guys and their vehicles. Reminds me of my friend who now owns his regular car, a Classic 1978 British Mini.
(It even drives english style) and a motorcycle. He does spend a lot of time working on the motorcycle and the Mini has had some updates done to it also.
Of course, I'm not immune to keeping an old car. I currently drive a 1994 Camaro with 133,000 miles which has its share of annoying issues.
Driver's side door no longer opens with key, have had to pin up the interior roof cloth, gas guage no longer accurate and a bit of an oil leak.
Engine still good so far so trying not to have to borrow money for a new car, so I manage with it.

Defintely one of the very realable epiesodes and just downright funny.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny episode. It's just plain good writing, it really shows when taking on a 'classic' sitcom theme. Don't all the sitcoms do the one about the boy and his car?

One thing that gets me every time is, Shirley telling Keith to get a job. Gee, hasn't he already got one? I mean writing hit songs and doing vocal arrangements for six voices, then having to teach the little kids their parts...Hmmm, Keith should have been asking his mom for a raise if you ask me. But, as we know he's just not the sharpest knife in the drawer...or should I say vegetable peeler on the market?
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's my favorite scene!
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiethlives wrote:
Hmmm, Keith should have been asking his mom for a raise if you ask me. But, as we know he's just not the sharpest knife in the drawer...or should I say vegetable peeler on the market?
That's my favorite scene!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guys: Very Happy

My favorite scene from this episode was the one towards the end where Reuben and the family are having dinner: Keith appears (in a tuxedo no less! Surprised Surprised Surprised ) to, with a flourish, repay everyone -- including Money Manager From Hell, Danny! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I always crack up when, upon Keith's departure, the newly-independent "man of means" is forced to return -- to ask Shirley for the keys to the bus! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Best to all,
Sabrina Wink
KathySTL

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound funny when Shirley does suggest that Keith should get a job since technically the band is a job and is the family's source of income. Shirley no longer works at the bank. Of course, it makes sense that most of the money above living expenses is put away for college since we all know that show business is fickle and they shouldn't spend all they get.

I'm guessing that since all the kids supposedly have some money (Laurie dosen't have another job) they get some sort of allowance out of the band money, so I guess Keith's would need an extra job if he spends it too quickly, but yeah, If he is the songwriter as well as lead singer, it does seem like he has a pretty full schedule and ought to have a bit extra spending money out of the deal.

(of course, it would ruin a plot like this.)
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! I still have the viewmaster of this episode which makes it even more fun to watch, plus the scene of Keith taking on part times jobs such a paper boy where he is riding his bike as a girl passes by and he throws the paper thru someones window is hilarious.

dean-o
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're right, it is classic sitcom. It could have just as easily been Growing Pains, or Eight is Enough, or the Brady Bunch (or any other family show). The situation is perfect for Danny to take charge since he is the one with business savvy and Keith's total focus on his new toy is very enjoyable. The need to get a job and his inability to be successful at any of them does mysteriously contradict his high level of expertise as a musician...but as someone said, it is necessary for the plot to work. And how convenient that he found a buyer for the car so quickly and for just the right amount of money...

BTW, I am a huge fan of the Christopher Guest movies and Annette O'Toole not only is a very talented actress, but also a great songwriter - she and her real-life significant other Micheal McKean wrote the oscar nominated song from "A Mighty Wind", A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow.

Good quality family episode.

Jeff
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodyj wrote:
. And how convenient that he found a buyer for the car so quickly and for just the right amount of money...

Jeff
This scene was almost duplicated word for word in season 4's Day of Truth episode, but Keith didn't get quite as much out of it!
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my favorite scene from the episode...

Keith is pleading with Danny to let him have enough money to be able top drive his car to the gig.
Keith-
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I loved this episode. It shows the new PF house facade. It was also the episode used in the very first PF ViewMaster (called "The Money Manager.")

I can't tell the difference between before and after facade. I loved this episode too!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dormers don't dip below the roof line. The "scoop" is also less severe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: