[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Bravo's "Top Chef"/"Top Chef Masters"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonnieNY
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Bravo's "Top Chef"/"Top Chef Masters" Reply with quote

With the loss of "Project Runway" to Lifetime (sob -- they're moving it from NYC to L.A.), I wanted to make sure that "Top Chef" is being renewed by Bravo. Thankfully, it is! Season 6 will air in February, and casting is in progress. The judges will remain the same.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/top-chef/bravo-orders-top-chef-season-6-27854.aspx

The link above also briefly announces a new summer spin-off, Top Chef Masters, which looks interesting. Here are some additional details...

http://www.tvguide.com/news/chef-masters-celebrity-1004842.aspx
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, Top Chef Masters begins tonight.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see how they organize this. Surely 24 master chefs haven't left their jobs to compete on this show for a bunch of weeks. Will they have, say, groups of six compete against each other each week and then go home, with the winner of that group coming back to compete in a finals round? Or did they film the whole thing in a really short time span?

It has its moments, but Fashion Show is no Project Runway, that's for sure.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll certainly try to stay awake for this but of course if I can't there will be numerous repeats. Smile
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
I'm curious to see how they organize this. Surely 24 master chefs haven't left their jobs to compete on this show for a bunch of weeks. Will they have, say, groups of six compete against each other each week and then go home, with the winner of that group coming back to compete in a finals round?

I think that's what they're doing, PJ. My on-screen cable guide says, "The first four competitors are introduced."

I haven't had any interest in "The Fashion Show." I miss my beloved Tim Gunn and "Project Runway." Sad It should return on Lifetime soon, but I just have the feeling that it won't be the same. I'll certainly give it a chance, though.
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63 wrote:
I'll certainly try to stay awake for this but of course if I can't there will be numerous repeats. Smile

Definitely. Very Happy
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie (if you saw it) and PJ,

What did you think?

I liked it but found it a little odd, given the different judges and different host. The format was the same, as were the Top Chef kitchen setup and judges table. So, it was sort of like Top Chef...but not. Smile Also, with the celeb chefs (Hubert Keller being the only one I recognized this time), it felt a little like the The Food Network's "Iron Chef America" to me.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. The change to critics from judges didn't bother me--nice to see some new faces. I liked it that these chefs acted like grownups with none of the drama that goes on between the regular contestants. I enjoyed seeing a pro switch course completely and create a new menu on the fly after freezing his food by mistake. I did not enjoy the thought of eating food prepared in a dirty dorm room on equipment that probably didn't cook meat at the proper temp. But it brought back some memories of trying to cook meals in a dorm microwave or in my phenomenally bad first apartment's kitchen!

I adore Hubert Keller. Laughing

I don't think it had the frenetic, irritating pace and ingredients of Iron Chef, a show the I consider unwatchable.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree PJ. It was nice to see everyone act like grown-ups. It was just about the food and not all that bickering and clashing personalities.

The thought of pasta that had been cooled in the shower wasn't very appetizing.

One thing that confuses me a bit is that last night's episode had "food experts" as judges. Reading the list of future judges, I see there are celebrities at the judges table. But maybe when there are celebrities there will also be the food critics and writers.

I don't watch "Iron Chef America" as much as I used to. I usually change the channel when the secret ingredient is a live fish or other seafood. I just can't watch them hack something to death. And when they make ice cream out of some protein source...well my stomach just turns. Laughing
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63 wrote:
But maybe when there are celebrities there will also be the food critics and writers.

That's my understanding of it. I picture the food critics/writers always being there (the way Tom, Gail, and Toby were on the regular Top Chef). Additionally, there will be guest judges. Interestingly, it seems that Tom and Gail will be among the guest judges this summer. :)

I also only watch "Iron Chef America" occasionally these days. I turned it on recently and the secret ingredient was OCTOPUS! I couldn't change the channel fast enough! Laughing
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV show LOST is a fave of mine, so I'm really looking forward to the next episode of Top Chef Masters.

From TVGuide.com:

The Lost Supper New
Notable chefs Wylie Dufresne, Suzanne Tracht, Graham Elliot Bowles and Elizabeth Falkner get lost. That is, they whip up island-flavored fare inspired by the TV series "Lost." Appearing: "Lost" executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof.
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: This episode is GROSS! Laughing
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple hours before it starts here but when I saw the promos for the episode, I remember thinking "YUCK!!".
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved seeing Jeff Lewis and Co. from Flipping Out last night on Top Chef. I remember the time on Flipping Out that the guy who was Jeff's employee (and Jenny's huisband at the time) picked up some food from a restaurant for their lunch (I think it was Chinese food) and Jeff's had onions in it which he doesn't eat. Either the restaurant goofed or that guy (whose name I can't rememeber) forgot to order it without onions. Jeff read him the riot act for there being onions in his food. So he made the guy stand over the kitchen sink and and pick out every little piece of onion with a fork. It was hysterical. That guy was such an idiot so I didn't feel sorry for him having to do that. Jeff's OCD cracks me up!! Anyway I loved during last night's episode of Top Chef when Jeff said "we go through a lot of drive-thrus. We are white trash with money."

I also loved when Gael Green said "I don't like lawn clippings in my dessert" referring to Michael Chiarello's basil in his strawberry gelato. I don't even like fresh basil in savory dishes so I know I wouldn't like it in a dessert but Gael and that other judge were converted they said.

I'm glad that Michael won being that he was the only chef I was familiar with from his Food Network show and his PBS show before that. My mother loves him!! Plus he is a local boy so I had to root for him.
BonnieNY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie, I enjoyed last night's show, too. Jeff is so funny. Oh, and I also remember that episode of "Flipping Out!" Yep, that guy (Jenni's ex) was a jerk.

It's interesting to see non-foodies judging the dishes. If I were a chef (and these are some of the top chefs in the country), I'd be saying "WTF" to a review from Jeff Lewis and Company! Laughing Quite a contrast from the renowned Gael Green and her co-critics.

I was also rooting for Michael. I didn't know the others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: