[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #20: They Shoot Managers, Don't They?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Episode #20: They Shoot Managers, Don't They? Reply with quote

They Shoot Managers, Don't They?
Written by Lloyd Turner and Gordon Mitchell • Directed by Peter Baldwin • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: February 12, 1971

Shirley's matchmaking almost loses the family a manager!
Guest Cast: Nancy Malone

Song:
"She'd Rather Have the Rain," music and lyrics by Terry Cashman and T.P.West (on Up To Date)

Tube Trivia:
• Cathleen D'Arcy was a regular on "Naked City."
• This is the episode where Bonnie Kleinschmidt was first mentioned.
• Watch closely as the Partridges have their back yard barbecue. This scene was actually filmed on the driveway next door to the "Bewitched" home, which can be seen from certain angles. This home/driveway was used for "Hazel" and "Gidget." The back of the Partridge facade was still dressed as the Convent San Tanco for "The Flying Nun." We wouldn't see the back facade until the second season, after a fire destroyed the area.
• Up To Date was flying off store shelves as this episode aired. It spent 4 weeks at #3 on the Billboard charts, and remained on the chart for over a year! The Partridge Family Album and "I Think I Love You" were both still high on the charts as well. Not bad for a band criticized for being "manufactured pop!"
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Totally forgot to list this week's episode for the ONE person who has been consistent with participating in the club!

Dave Madden tells a very interesting story about the filming of this episode in the interview we conducted with him a few months ago. You can read further by clicking here: http://www.cmongethappy.com/interviews/dm/index.html

Also, check out the scene when they are having a barbeque in the PF's backyard. They are actually filming on the driveway of the "Hazel" house, and you can see the "Bewitched" facade through the tree leaves. The PF facade did not have a backyard in the first season, as the Convent San Tanco from "The Flying Nun" butted up against the PF facade. It wasn't until the fire destroyed the convent, PF house and gothic-styled church (next the to PF) that their house was re-built and a backyard added.
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all though this is a good episode to watch, and poor Ruben....... but secretly weren't we all just so glad that he didn't Marry that woman.

Dean-o
KathySTL

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Oops. Totally forgot to list this week's episode for the ONE person who has been consistent with participating in the club!

If you mean me, please don't worry about it. (I guess I haven't had much of a life recently, and doing this cheers me up.

If folks don't want this anymore I understand.)

I also don't mind starting the thread if you run out of time, Scott. I just didn't want to step on anybody's toes.
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep this section open! I may not participate, but I do enjoy reading all of the posts. And I don't think that I'm the only one, either.

Karen
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamboatkaren wrote:
Please keep this section open! I may not participate, but I do enjoy reading all of the posts. And I don't think that I'm the only one, either.

Karen

Yeah! I love this Club! Great job Kathy!

Guest star Nancy Malone is in one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. It's about a couple who wake up at someone's house after a party, and can't find their way home.....and discover they are in a fake town which is actually a miniature for a little girl's playthings. With them as the playthings. Smile
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since Shirley had already tried to leave the group and then the kids decide to quit the group, it's only fitting that Rueben would get the chance to quit too. It is nice to see a softer side to Rueben and the writing was pretty good. Great jokes and that awesome car-phone!

I really like "She'd Rather Have the Rain" and the tongue in cheek lovey-dovey running toward each other was fun (reminding me of the type of antics in the Monkees).

And Danny gets to call Rueben and utter, "Mr. Kincaid, Danny Partridge here." All is right with the world.

Jeff
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Couldn't have put it better myself, Jeff! Laughing Wink
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben claims he didn’t marry Cathleen Darcey because ‘She doesn’t like baseball’. Shirley then says to him ‘You don’t like baseball’ and he doesn’t contradict her. Yet in ep. #78 (The Strike-Out King) Reuben acts as if he’s always loved baseball.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: