[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #19: To Play Or Not To Play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Episode #19: To Play Or Not To Play Reply with quote

To Play Or Not To Play
Written by Stan Cutler & Martin Donovan • Directed by Ralph Senensky • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: February 5, 1971

When Laurie refuses to cross a picket line and perform with her family at a club where the college workers are on strike, Danny steps in and becomes a labor negotiator.
Guest Cast: Harvey Lembeck, Michael Lembeck

Songs:
"There's No Doubt In My Mind," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell and Gerry Goffin (on Up To Date)
"Umbrella Man," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell, Jim Cretecos and Mike Appel (on Up To Date)

Tube Trivia:
• Harvey Lembeck was a regular on "The Phil Silvers Show." He is the father of co-star Michael Lembeck.
• Michael Lembeck was a regular on "One Day At A Time." He has made numerous guest appearances and was a regular on "Foley Square." He was a member of the singing group, "Kaptain Kool and the Kongs" on the "Krofft Supershow." Currently, he is a busy director in Hollywood, on shows such as "Friends."
• Wes Farrell and Gerry Goffin wrote three tunes for the Up To Date album. They also wrote "I'll Meet You Halfway," and "I'm Here, You're Here."
• Songwriting partners Mike Appell and Jim Cretecos wrote 5 songs for The Partridge Family with Wes Farrell, including the group's second hit single, "Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted." They switched professions and became managers when they discovered a little known singer/musician. His name? Bruce Springsteen!
• Up To Date was released as this episode aired. So popular was "The Partridge Family," that the album shipped gold!

Last edited by Scott on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting this early, as I will be away from my computer tomorrow.

Watch this episode closely -- the area where the club is located (as well as other parts of the episode) is also part of the Convent San Tanco, from "The Flying Nun" -- or what was left of it after the fire. :D

Also, "Up To Date" was released the week this episode aired. Very Happy
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this episode and the Laurie Partridge story line about standing by her friend........ is so like me to take a stance and do as she did.
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the scenes of David standing on the balcony- he looked so much like his dad & the hard expression brought back some of the dramatic roles he did.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This epsisode following up on last week's episode "Soul Club" helps show why thr PF was different from other family sitcoms in that it shows the family on the road doing their profession, and it has the added dimension of social themes.

Last week we did see a hint about racial tolerance, this week we discuss worker's rights and the social welfare.

Also, we see the Family playing in different venues than the Lounge scene and with some variety and characterization. Once again, Danny shines with the most radical moves, talking to both Management and Labor and ultimately getting them to talk to each other. But Laurie makes excellent points and Keith also does as he talks to Laurie and even though he is not set against playing like she is, he does listen to her side.

All in all, we've been treated to some of the best episodes in these recent weeks.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More tour experiences and giving Laurie a chance to be the connector with the young people who are being oppressed was refreshing (and Susan really is a good actress). Knowing that Michael Lembeck was the leader of labor and his dad Harvey (I remember him from the Beach Blanket movies) as the club owner was really fun to watch. Danny stepping in to resolve the dispute fit so well as did Shirley's struggle to decide what would be the right thing to do...

Both songs are great and the jokes played well. A good episode!

Jeff
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love listening to the argument through the intercom!
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Mr. Marino (the owner) has an argument in the kitchen with Mark and some of the other kitchen staff, Mark says “I suppose if I passed out from smoke inhalation, you’d accuse me of goofing off!” Then when they march out of the kitchen, while the family is still rehearsing, the same line is over-dubbed into the background.”

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: