[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode 17: Why Did The Music Stop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Episode 17: Why Did The Music Stop? Reply with quote

Why Did The Music Stop?
Written by Bernard Slade Directed by Alan Rafkin Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: January 22, 1971

The kids think Shirley has a romantic interest and agree to quit show business to tend to matters of the heart.
Guest Cast: Richard Mulligan, Reva Rose

Songs:
"I'm Here, You're Here," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell and Gerry Goffin (On Up To Date)
"I Can Feel Your Heartbeat," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell, Mike Appel, and Jim Cretecos (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
Richard Mulligan is best remembered for his roles on "Soap," and "Empty Nest." He also appeared in Episode 82.
Reva Rose was a regular on "That Girl" and "Temperatures Rising."
This episode was written by series creator Bernard Slade. He also wrote Episodes 1, 3, 5, 8, 13, 25, 36, and 38. To read our exclusive interview with Bernard Slade, visit the People and Places section of the website!
Wes Farrell briefly considered releasing "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" as the Partridge Family's second single but decided against it, as he feared it would water down album sales.
- Wes Farrell and Gerry Goffin wrote three tunes for the Up To Date album. They also wrote "I'll Meet You Halfway," and "There's No Doubt In My Mind."

Last edited by Scott on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 am; edited 6 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and we don't know how these episodes end yet?

A little too soon for a change in the group, when we just had Mom leaving the group a couple of weeks ago, so they could take the European tour.

Of course, its natural for Shirley to worry about the family since she is a good mother, however, still she has to know by now that them singing as a family is what makes her children happy. and of course, we all know that at the end of the episode they will sing again, because that's the premise of the show.

As usual, it's Danny who pushes Shirley into bringing up the subject by his lines in the dressing room and then of course, lets the cat out of the bag to resolve the episode. Ironic, since after Shirley is panicked by the nosy neighebors words, Danny is the one who makes her think its right and we all know how Danny turned out in real life. Smile

One question, in the Credits I can Feel your heartbeat is only listed as "Heartbeat". Noticed it in the Logan Mays episdoe too. anybody know why? It's not that way on the CD enclosed with Season one or on the Jump to the musical performances option.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show that if sit-com families communicated better with each other, there would be no episodes. But anyway, the kids wanting to do the right thing for Shirley (even when it really wasn't) is touching. And Rueben's confusion through it all is delightful. A chance for Shirley to flirt is nice and the raport between the kids was great.

I'm Here, You're Here" and "Heartbeat" are favorites of mine and really are a notch above typical TV music fare, so I am convinced more than ever that the music recorded for the show was one of the main reasons it lasted as long as it did.

I agree that so soon after Shirley left the group, it seems a bit redundant for the kids to quit, but it is still an enjojable episode.

Jeff
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Reva Rose! I used to love Temperatures Rising (in its many incarnations!), and she was also Coach Fedder's wife on Mary Hartman Mary Hartman. Coach Fedder was the guy that Mary killed by giving him chicken soup when he was gooned on analgesics. He passed out and drowned in the bowl of soup. Loved that show!

I'm Here, You're Here is one of my faves! I wonder how they actually sounded banging away on their instruments on the set. I bet that would make a fun addition to any blooper reel.

Jeremy actually matched the drumming in his closeup. Who did he think he was? Brian Forster? 8)

I agree that it was too soon after the other episode where mom quits to air this episode, but repetitive themes were more common on shows back then. How often did Darren Stevens get fired, only to have Larry Tate "revise history" and un-fire him later.

I can't imagine we lived in a time when that caterpiller Richard Mulligan had taped to his face was ever a good look. Yikes. Great to see him, though. He's a favorite of mine! (It sounds as though if Shirley wasn't interested in dating Dr. Groovy, LAURIE was! Now THAT would've been a plotline!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: