[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Bewitched Marathons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, it's on over 3,100 screens compared to "Batman"'s 3,800 and averaged per screen $6,300 compared to the bat's $6,800 -- just $500-$600 less per screen, not too shabby considering the mixed reviews. Cool

I saw it yesterday and will withhold my "review"/comments for now. Wink
Lizzie
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the theatre, and I have got to tell you, I *really* liked this movie....yes, it is not deep or meaningful, but I imagine it accomplished what it set out to do: entertain. It is a nice way to spend a couple hours, and no, I do not see Nicole Kidman as a cow chewing her cud--she is adorable, and I think the premise is cute....

And of course I will so buy the DVD..... Very Happy
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I actually went to see it a second time (I had promised friends I'd go) and people did clap at the end. So, hopefully for the people that enjoyed it, I am in the minority with my opinion of the film. There's no way I can be unbiased about it. The original is too engrained in my brain and I've loved the show since I was a little kid. Later on I became friends with several cast members, so I'm the wrong person to review it. Laughing Laughing

A few observations though: My main problem with the film was they didn't keep Isabel's world separate from Samantha's. I don't hate the "remake-within-a-movie premise." But, Aunt Clara, Uncle Arthur, Gladys and Abner Kravitz all belong in the "Bewitched" world. To use them as part of Isabel's world -- to me -- smacked of a writer with no originality or imagination. There are plenty of ideas that could have been used for Isabel's Aunt rather than steal Aunt Clara from the TV series, right down to the fox stole and carpet bag full of collectible doorknobs. I also felt the impersonation of Paul Lynde's Uncle Arthur was abysmal. I'm still trying to figure out if he was real or part of Jack's dream.

I think it was genius to cast Shirley Maclaine as Endora, but she was incredibly wasted and her "Endora" was way off the mark. And to make the character of Iris actually be a witch wasn't really working for me either. It may have been funnier to tip the hat to the original and have her freak out if she saw Isabel using powers.

It was never clear whether or not Isabels friends knew she was a witch either. It seems too much was happening around them for them not to notice.

And, for a witch that has been around for over 1000 years, Isabel's character was unrealistically naive -- almost dumb. The Marilyn Monroe-esque voice used wasn't working for me either. But, I suppose if she were worldly, she would have seen Jack for what he was.

I dunno -- maybe I'm picking it apart too much. After all, it's just supposed to be a piece of summer fluff. What did the rest of you think of the film?? Smile
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naomi Ledbetter
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Movie review Reply with quote

I saw the movie on opening day and the audience here also clapped when it was done. Having said that, I thought it was "extremely OK." Not great but not totally bad either. Just OK. I kept thinking to myself .......... here is when it is about to get really good or really funny and it just never happened. I think Nicole did a fair job of recreating a character that we all loved growing up. Maybe I am too into the DVDs of the first season right now to appreciate the movie. Nothing can compare to that! Brick wall
Lizzie
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, your points are valid, and yes, I agree with them, but I felt like your first posts were just strictly from the opinion "nothing can replace the original" which is true, but an awfully big yardstick to compare *anything* with.....all MHO Very Happy

And Lisa, I do agree with you on the "Marilyn" voice....I have seen some of Nicole's other work, and she does tend to use a softer voice a lot--I wonder if it has something to do with her natural Aussie accent, and maybe it's easier to lessen it this way.....just a guess....

Holly, doll, I've got to tell you--you couldn't remove these DVD's from my cold dead hands very easily.....in my heart, right behind (and I mean *right behind*) my PF DVD's is "Bewitched".....the movie just made me want to go home and watch the DVD's!!!!! BTW Mitchell went with me and *loved* it--but of course his first comment is "They need more Uncle Arthur"!! (Note to Scott: I believe the Uncle Arthur in the film was just a dream)

Ticket sales are as predicted: Just a little over $20 million this weekend, with mostly a demographic of over 25 year old women seeing the film, which mostly offset "Batman"....my next movie to see: "Mr and Mrs Smith"
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, thanks for info on Tabitha DVD set. I saw DVD at local Fred Meyer store for $24.00 with 13 episodes, compared to Bewitched at $29.00 for 36 episodes. I did'nt want to pay for DVD if the quality was same as on tvland few years ago. I also looked on Amazon.com for reviews and found some negative reveiws, there were a couple reveiws that mentioned the quality of DVD picture. Will be buying a copy to sit on shelf next to Bewitched (sorry people, I bought colorized).

Dean-O
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzie, I really liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was fun. I'll be curious to get your review on that one. :D

Dean, a friend of mine got "Tabitha" through Amazon and said it was around $19.99 with free shipping, etc. He said Amazon was the cheapest place he found it. I got mine at Tower, and it was $24.99. There's a cute episode with Gladys and Abner (the original actors) and Abner had the longest hair and beard. It was weird to look at. I was wondering why he didn't cut/shave it?? He looked like a homeless person. Laughing
Lizzie
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Lizzie, I really liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was fun. I'll be curious to get your review on that one. Very Happy
Laughing

I will let you know....it's next on my list!!! Smile
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
umbrellaman
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still haven't seen Bewitched yet but will definitely see it this weekend. I've read so many reviews of the movie at a BW board that I frequent that I actually feel like I have seen it though! I'm honestly not expecting too much, so maybe I'll enjoy it. I'm not big on remakes of any kind really, and Bewitched is sacred to me--my absolute favorite show ever. Loved it since I was a kid and even more as an adult. I love just about everybody from the cast but have become an especially big fan of Dick York over the years. Wow--Scott, you became friends with some of the cast? I'd love to hear any stories you might want to share! As for the DVDs, I'm really trying to pace myself and have been watching two episodes every night. It's been like a dream since I've been waiting for this show to be released for years now! I'm just amazed at all the scenes and parts of scenes I've never seen before or if I did it would have been when I was a kid and would never remember them! Between BW finally being released and rediscovering TPF, the next few years are gonna be incredible with, hopefully, the rest of the series being released. I'm gonna try to see Batman Begins this weekend too. I've been an on-and-off comic fan for a long time and have heard nothing but good things about this movie. I liked the first two Batman movies from Tim Burton but really didn't care for the rest.
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally went and saw Bewitched movie over the weekend, and gotta say I was not very impressed. Although I enjoyed Nicole Kidman, the casting of Will Farrell ruined the movie for me. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Farrell, I just didn't see any chemistry between him and Nilcole at all. The guy who played Uncle Arthur was awful also. The major appeal to Bewitched the series was the chemistry between Samantha and supporting characters such as Aunt Clara, Uncle Arthur, Endora and Derwood (sorry, I mean Darrin). In Bewiched, the movie, you don't get the sense that Iris or Samantha even likes any of these people. In the series, thanks to a wonderful performance by Elizabeth Montgomery, you know exactly how Samantha feals about these people. There were a few good moments in the movie, they were the scenes from the television series.

Also went and saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith at the same time and gotta say, this one I enjoyed a lot. Lots of action, comedy, and a lot of Brad, How can you go wrong with that? Might even go see again.

Dean-O
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought you Bewitched fans would like to know that Sony is working on Seasons 2, 3 and 4 for release on DVD. Season 2 should be out in October, about a month before the feature film is released on DVD. Very Happy
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO and HOORAY!!! Very Happy
Thanks so much for the exciting news!!! Smile
So I guess they're selling okay!! Wink
I'm curious as to which set is selling better: the colorized or the true-blue-to-the-original B&W set??? Any insight, Scott??

Thanks so much! Cool
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I do know. The Black & White version of Season One did not sell well. So, I was told that Season 2 will only be offered colorized. But keep in mind that things change daily. Also, I've seen the packaging and it's nice. Same as the first season, with new cast photos and an overall lavender background instead of the light blue from Season One. Dragnes Moorehead would be pleased. Lavender was her favorite color. Very Happy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: