[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #14: The Red Woodloe Story
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Episode #14: The Red Woodloe Story Reply with quote

The Red Woodloe Story
Written by Coslough Johnson • Directed by Peter Baldwin • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: January 1, 1971

When the Partridge Family invites the reclusive folksinger Red Woodloe to stay with them, Red teaches Tracy to overcome here fear of the dark, and, in return, Tracy teaches Red to overcome his stage fright.
Guest Cast: William Schallert

Songs:
"I Can Feel Your Heartbeat," music and lyrics by Wes Farrell, Mike Appell and Jim Cretecos (on The Partridge Family Album)
"Find Peace In Your Soul," music and lyrics by Bill Dorsey (Red Woodloe and the Partridge Family) (Unreleased on commercial LP)

Tube Trivia:
• Veteran actor William Schallert is best known for his roles on "The Patty Duke Show," "The Nancy Drew Mysteries," and "The New Gidget." He has done thousands of commercial voice-overs including Milton the Toaster for Kellogg's Pop-Tarts, and was the voice of ABC.
• Wes Farrell briefly considered releasing "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" as the Partridge Family's second single but decided against it, as he feared it would water down album sales.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:46 am; edited 4 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny but until I bought the DVD's I had forgotten this episode.

The timing of watching this one is interesting for me since it was my Dad's birthday last week and my Dad is a very religious man. Something he always insisted on when we were on family vacations was that we still went to Church on Sunday whereever we were. Now I don't recall many other families who did this, so it's fascinating to me tonight to see the Partridges doing this. (Yes I realize that this was for the drama purpose of the story, however, the subject did come up in the 4th season when Danny tries to date the Jewish girl).

It does show a wide range of experience for the family and the song at the end with its gospel feel even does add to the variety in the music that isn't done my TV created singer of today,

Also, I relate to the Red's folks singing and when the Partridges are singing along at home since I have recently reacquainted myself with a local folksinger here in town with whom we are planning a regular "filk" circle for sharing. This singer also just recently played his first public gig in a long tme a couple of weeks and Red's experiences in this story reminded me of him.
Definitley a different paced story for the PF and quite enjoyable.
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did William Schallert play someone on the Hardy Boys, or Nancy Drew? He played so many roles! I liked him as Red.

I especially liked the scene where he plays for the family in the club, after his stage fright.

Thanks, Scott!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG -- you should check out his IMDB profile. I think he's been in everything. He was nancy Drew's father as well as Patty Duke's. He was also the voice of Milton the Toaster. Very Happy
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Schallert also played Susan Dey's (Jo's) father in Little Women.
Matthew C. Clark
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was William the voice when he said "Remember when next week turned out to be last week (yeah), it's next week" from "The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints" (10 second commercial) back in 1976 & 1977??? Confused
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a sentimental favorite episode of mine. William Schallert was perfect casting for the role and from what I can tell, he is either an accomplished guitar player, or a great faker...

The relationship he creates with Tracy is so nice and grandfatherly and Suzanne is excellent.

The folk songs are terrific and the Family's song at the end is one of the better unreleased gems in my mind (Okay, I think I like them all)...

Danny gets to wake up Rueben (Mr Kinkaid, Danny Partridge here) and the folksy humor and jokes were relaxed and warm. I like this one a lot.

Jeff
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was fun. It shows the various ways this area has been used.

Photo #1 is from an episode of "Bewitched," when Samantha is sent back in time.

Photo #2 is from "Here Comes the Brides." This area was used extensively for old-time Seattle.

Photo #3 is from "The Partridge Family." It's the church where Red Woodlow was singing. :D

To the left of the Church would have been Lottie's Saloon from "Brides," and to the right (sorta in a horseshoe shape) would have been the Brides' dormitory. The dormitory was later re-dressed and used as Mr. Roarke's home/office in "Fantasy Island." :D

Below is a shot of the Brides' Saloon area with the Church on the right of the photo. If you look through the trees, you will see an airplane-hanger shaped building which is painted green, to try and camouflage it when filming a wide shot in that direction. This is Stage 30, where the PF's interiors were filmed. Cool, huh??

TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember this episode when it was originally broadcast, but it has become one of my favorites from when I first saw it in the 90s. William Schallert is one of my favorite actors. I howl with laughter everytime I watch the old Get Smart episodes where he played Admiral Hargrave. The way the old guy would fall over with an expressive and helpless "Uh-oh." Comic gold!

That's quite a ridiculous mustache he's sporting in this episode! The only one I've ever seen as ridiculous is the one my sister's boyfriend at the time had! I guess it's a sign of the times. His upper lip looks like one of those "scrubbing bubbles" from the old bathroom cleanser commercial.

I find it interesting in the episode guide that it says Wes Farrell considered releasing I Can Feel Your Heartbeat as the second single. Too bad he didn't. I think it would have been a better follow up to I Think I Love You.

Kathy, I enjoyed your observation about families and church on vacation. It never occurred to me, but when our family took vacations, it was always a vacation from church, too! In later years, if we thought our grandmother wouldn't find out, we used to go to McDonald's instead of church. I remember once when someone asked who our parish priest was (in my grandma's presence), my brother said, "Ronald McDonald", and mom looked like she was going to faint! Laughing

"You wouldn't lie to a little girl, would you, Red?" Tracy was cute in this episode.

I love Find Peace In Your Soul. All around, a terrific episode!
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen closely as the family comes up to perform in church. Sounds like someone is whistling at Shirley.

When the family sings in church. At the beginning of the song, Keith’s hair is out of place. Where is Mrs. Neugast, when you need her?

Tracy- “Just wait “’til us women have our revolution.”

Darryl
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad this episode came up this week! It's almost like a Christmas episode to me. The tone and the feel. The rustic church where Red performs. I think I'll build a little William Schallert marathon around this episode on Saturday night! Smile I'm also itching to watch the episodes of Get Smart when he appeared as The Admiral (a three-parter that was originally hoped to be a theatrical release, but ended up becoming a part of the regular series instead). What a versatile actor he is! I also have episodes he appeared in of Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek, Bewitched, That Girl, Room 222, The Bionic Woman, Maude, The Waltons, The Duck Factory and St. Elsewhere.

And THAT'S without even trying! The man did EVERYTHING!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What -- no Nancy Drew?
BLUEBIRD
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Scott, those photos are great! I love these trivia bits! Thank you!
Simone70
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:
I'm so glad this episode came up this week! It's almost like a Christmas episode to me. The tone and the feel. The rustic church where Red performs. I think I'll build a little William Schallert marathon around this episode on Saturday night! Smile I'm also itching to watch the episodes of Get Smart when he appeared as The Admiral (a three-parter that was originally hoped to be a theatrical release, but ended up becoming a part of the regular series instead). What a versatile actor he is! I also have episodes he appeared in of Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Star Trek, Bewitched, That Girl, Room 222, The Bionic Woman, Maude, The Waltons, The Duck Factory and St. Elsewhere.

And THAT'S without even trying! The man did EVERYTHING!

What episode of Bewitched was he in? I don't remember that.........
I saw the Star Trek with him, it was really good!

Simone70
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was in a sixth season episode (the first season with Dick Sargent) called "Samantha's Curious Cravings." It's the episode where Samantha is pregnant and every time she craves food, it appears.

Calling Dr. Bombay! Emergency! Come right away! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: