[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

lip sync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: lip sync Reply with quote

Does anyone know the process used by the cast to learn the songs? I'm guessing they (except DC) were given tapes of the songs with only the music and backing vocals, sort of like a karoke version, so they could learn the background parts of the song. But I have no idea.

Shirley Jones and Brian Forster rarely made a mistake, and Susan Dey was pretty good. (I'll be kind and not comment on Danny and Suzanne.) But I wonder, when someone did make a mistake, why wasn't it edited out? Couldn't they have used another shot of someone else singing at that moment, and leave the mistake on the cutting room floor?
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think back then, they weren't thinking of shows being viewed over and over or owned by fans on videotape or DVD. Back then, people were used to seeing real musicians lip-synching their own music on American Bandstand, so not much care or concern was put into making it all just-right. Just my two cents. Smile
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cast were given a bunch of songs on LP -- not tape, to learn their "Ooohs and Ahhhs." The master shot was probably done first, then the close-ups of the kids were filmed next in order to release them for school, etc. since minors can't work beyond a certain number of hours per day. There probably wasn't as much time for them to rehearse and learn their vocals -- not to mention where and when to hit their instruments to the songs' beats -- as there was for Shirley, Susan and David. Very Happy
DavidWagner
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scott, I never thought of that. I imagine it was very difficult making the schedule for filming, since Danny could only work a few hours a day and he was basically the star of the show.
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny was the star of the show?
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy: Very Happy

:lol: Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good to see you again! And STOP being such a stranger, will ya!

Missed you,
Sabrina Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: