[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #11: This Is My Song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Episode #11: This Is My Song Reply with quote

This Is My Song
Written by Richard Deroy • Directed by Jerry Paris • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: December 4, 1970

Danny tries to become a songwriter to help Keith through a creative dry spell.
Guest Cast: None

Song:
"To Be Lovers," music and lyrics by Mark Charron (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
• Director Jerry Paris is best known for playing Jerry Helper on "The Dick Van Dyke Show." He has also directed episodes of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," Happy Days," and "Mork & Mindy." He also directed the pilot for "The Partridge Family."
• This is one of the few episodes not to feature a guest cast.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through the episode now, but one of the things I noticed is Keith's haircut. This is the first aired episode with the shag. But I do not think they aired in order of filming, as I think his hair goes back and forth another time. I'll have to watch for it as the weeks continue. Very Happy :lol:

It's also one of the few episodes to NOT feature any guest cast.

I cannot believe I am dissecting these episodes like this. Laughing Rolling Eyes
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: This is my song Reply with quote

Have we already resolved why DC sings 2 lines in this show's song, and lips the others?
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Scott say on the 1st season DVD that he lips the entire song on this episode? It's the whole other guy-DC-other guy thing.
I know there is a version where David sings the whole song, but why did they have him doing just those 2 lines?

Darryl
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't ever recall saying that. I said I got a kick out of the fact that David lip syncs to another singer, then lip synced to himself when filming. But, David sings the same two lines in the episode that he sings on LP.

This was probably one of the songs completed prior to David becoming a singer on the LPs. I think Wes went back and put David on songs he felt had hit potential, as there wasn't time to re-do the entire LP. The group was originally supposed to be a choral sound without a lead singer, anyway. So this song is in keeping with that sound.

Where did you hear there was a version of this song sung 100% by David? I think you are thinking of "On The Road."
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that it was funny that David was lip syncing to somebody elses voice, then he was lip syncing to his own voice, then he was lip syncing to the other guy's voice that was mentioned on the DVD.

Also, I was confusing To Be Lovers with On The Road.

Darryl
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit weird, knowing that David actually sang the two lines in the song and hearing the other male voice around it although he sings it all on camera. The things one must do to further one's career. And after all it is just TV. The premise is fun, examining in it's own small way the creative process...

I have always loved the song with all those harmonies. And the sibling rivalry was fun (I have three brothers myself). A fair episode in my book.

Jeff
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that we get to hear Susan Dey sing in this episode "Where ever I go I worry and WONDA". Her New York accent could clearly be heard in her singing voice. Though she did not sing flat or off key. Here is a Pee-Wee confession, I once dreamed I found a Susan Dey album (recorded Partridge Family era) in a record store.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fave episode of mine. Again, because no other sit-com can have this plot of writing block and pelagerism (however its spelled.) Some great lines too.
Rueben, "I'll better be here because Nixion was busy."
And Keith coolly responding to Laurie's explaining that Danny feels he is a genius because he just saw a movie about a genius, " Good thing he wasn't watching Myra Breckenridge." I laugh at those every time.

[/i]
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pee-wee wrote:
Here is a Pee-Wee confession, I once dreamed I found a Susan Dey album (recorded Partridge Family era) in a record store.

And I thought I was the only one who had that dream. Very Happy GMTA

Darryl
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it occurred to me not long ago to wonder if there was any thought of Susan recording back then.... They even had Danny record an album.... And there were others before for Susan who were not particularly strong or confident singers...Shelly Fabre for example with Johnny Angel. Of course that would have meant the possibility of cutting into David's teen idol focus in the show (the producer's concern more than it was David's, I imagine)... but still, hearing Susan sing occasionally on camera I wonder what might have been if she had sung some lead vocals and put out an album or two...

Jeff
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that Susan sang briefly, however, producers always change their minds about things. Sometime for good, sometimes for bad.
Good that they did let David sing.
Even though they proved tha Audrey Hepburn could sing in Breakfast at Tiffany's ( Moon River ) she is dubbed in "My Fair Lady".

I did like the quick homage to Shirley's past with the comments about Danny's next movie song to be "Oklahoma" and the fact that Rodgers and Hammerstein didn't succeed over night and were songwriters when she was younger.

Also, great timing on our part as the Family's performance outfits were green and we had this episdoe as our St. Patty's weekend choice. Very Happy

I agree an unigue episode that could not be done well by any other sitcom
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Susan Dey saying in the fan mags back then that she was actually "tone deaf". (Didn't they love that phrase back then...Shirley was "tone deaf" in the pilot; Lionel was "tone deaf" in a Knight In Shining Armor".) Of course, we know these days that those 16/Tiger Beat magazines rarely ever told the truth, so who knows...but I remember reading that back then.

pee-wee, I relate to your dream of a Susan Dey album. When I was a kid, I convinced my friends that I used to have an Archie comic that had a centerfold with Betty naked! I told that lie so often as a kid that I started to believe it myself! Laughing

Speaking of which, that two-shot of Keith and Danny when they're performing To Be Lovers on stage looks just like Archie and Reggie when they're performing as The Archies. (God, I'm lame!) Razz

I'm not sure Laurie was showing off a New York accent when she was singing. Everybody sang like that back then. How many American singers sounded British back then? Even listening to Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day. You'd swear he was British, not an Oakland boy! ;-)

Speaking of Armstrong...remember the PF episode, Promise Her Anything, But Give Her A Punch? The one episode with Gloria Hickey? Well, that episode was originally telecast...wait for it...the day after...Billy Joe Armtrong...was BORN! Does anyone else feel as old as I do right now? Confused
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:
Speaking of Armstrong...remember the PF episode, Promise Her Anything, But Give Her A Punch? The one episode with Gloria Hickey? Well, that episode was originally telecast...wait for it...the day after...Billy Joe Armtrong...was BORN! Does anyone else feel as old as I do right now? Confused

YOU feel old!!! How about this: BILLIE Holiday I know ('LOVE HER!); Big JOE Turner, I've heard of; Louis ARMSTRONG was incredible! But I have NO IDEA who the hell this Billie Joe Armstrong even IS!!! Embarassed Shocked Razz
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie says, “So he’s been influenced by you. Who wouldn’t be. It’s like living next to the railroad tracks.” Why can’t Shirley hear if Laurie can? Keith’s room is between Danny’s and Shirley’s.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: