[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #9: Did You Hear The One About Danny Partridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Episode #9: Did You Hear The One About Danny Partridge? Reply with quote

Did You Hear The One About Danny Partridge?
Written by Ron Friedman • Directed by Paul Junger Witt • Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: November 20, 1970

Danny tries to become a stand-up comedian but doesn't quite make it.
Guest Cast: Morey Amsterdam, Jackie Coogan, Warren Miller, Kip King, Ceil Cabot

Songs:
"Somebody Wants To Love You," music and lyrics by Wes Farrel, Jim Cretecos and Mike Appel (on The Partridge Family Album)
"All Of The Things," music and lyrics by Richard Klein (Unreleased on commercial LP or CD)

Tube Trivia:
• Veteran comedian Morey Amsterdam is best known for playing Buddy Sorrell on "The Dick Van Dyke Show."
• Jackie Coogan is best known for playing Uncle Fester on "The Addams Family," The former child actor starred with Charlie Chaplin in the film, "The Kid," and played Grandpa Walter Renfrew in Episode 86.
• Producer/Director Paul Junger Witt also directed Episode 18.
• "I Think I Love You" hits Number 1 on the Billboard charts the week this episode aired!!
• "All of the Things" is the same song as "Stephanie", (Episode 25) but with different lyrics.
• "Somebody Wants To Love You" was the B Side of the "I Think I Love You" 45 rpm single.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 am; edited 4 times in total
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the one withut a life this week.

I actually watched this at 8:15 tonight before the new BSG.

Liked that they sang two of my favorite tunes.

Great casting with Morey Amsterdam famous for the Dick Van Dyke show selling Danny his jokes.

Story line in general a bit weak however good interplay among all the kids including Chris and Tracy.

Couldn't help but notice that at the end Shirley and Danny go back to the comic to get Danny's money back and while they do return the jokes, they actually leave without their money at the end. Very Happy

Happy Partridging and my best friend thinks I am nuts officially now.
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Mr. Bonaduce was great in this episode.
Dean-o
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one the few episode's that are not a fave to watch, but still fun to watch Danny in this episode.

Dean-o
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the earlier posts in general, and specifically:

Danny sure seems to get the spotlight (and let's face it, he was quite strong in the show) quite a bit. A clever idea for an episode with strong performances from Danny, Shirley, Dave M as well as guest starts Morey Amsterdam and Jackie Coogan (who will eventually play Grandpa much later in the series).

I like how Shirley once again let's one of her children learn an important lesson about life, rather than trying to protect him from embarrassment and hurt feelings. One of the hardest parts of parenting IMHO.

The other kids didn't have as much to do in this episode since there needed to be more time for the bad (and I mean really bad) jokes, but they were there just the same.

Loved having two songs: Somebody Wants to Love You (B-side of I Think I Love You) and All of the Things (with the same music later used for Stephanie). They were fun.

All in all, a good episode, but not a standout for me.

I look forward to what others have to say....

Jeff
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have every episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show on DVD and love every episode, but I thought Morey Amsterdam was out of place in this episode.

It was back in the 90s when The Partridge Family was being rerun on Canada's music station, MuchMusic, that I decided to put episodes on separate tapes based on whose episode it was. All the Keith episodes bunched together, the Lauries, the Shirleys. That's when I realized how many episodes were centered on Danny! When Danny finally came out years later and claimed he was really the star of the show, it was hard to disagree.

Danny really was a comedy "find". but I'm surprised the producers realized it SO early on. They seemed to catch onto his comedic talent sooner than they "discovered" David's voice! It's funny how so much of what became the classic Partridge Family combination was just plain happenstance.

It's a good thing Sheila Faber hadn't been in the audience for that first spontaneous "performance" by Danny Partridge The Comedian. We might never have been able to pull him back down to earth! Laughing
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved Morey Amsterdam's part in this episode.

Darryl
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley comes in as the kids are arguing in the garage. She says “Let’s take this alphabetically.” First Chris talks, then Laurie…Keith…Tracy…Reuben…Some alphabet!

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: