[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #6: Love At First Slight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Episode #6: Love At First Slight Reply with quote

Love At First Slight
Written by Steve Pritzker Directed by Bob Claver Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: October 30, 1970

Keith discovers that young girls' love can be a ten lane highway, or a one-way street!
Guest Cast: Lane Bradbury, Claire Wilcox, Denice Stradling, Elaine Fielding, Sheri Cowart, Lisa Jill

Song:
"Somebody Wants To Love You," music and lyrics by Jim Cretecos, Mike Appel and Wes Farrell (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
Claire Wilcox also appeared in Episode 60.
This is the first of seven episodes directed by Executive Producer Bob Claver. He also directed Episodes 46, 54, 63, 66, 69, and 96. To read our exclusive interview with Bob Claver, visit the People and Places section of this website!
"Somebody Wants To Love You" was the B Side of the "I Think I Love You" 45 rpm single.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:12 am; edited 5 times in total
GeoffB40
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I've got some fun stuff for this episode, but I'm against a deadline so I'll have to post later. But, check out the montage filmed during the "Somebody Wants To Love You" number. That's the actual gate for the Ranch that the bus drives through. I thought that was neat. More later. Very Happy

Yes Scott I always assumed that was the case and wondered if I was right.
Thanks for confirming. Seemed a little too obvious as the bus drives into what appears to be an estate. This is a great little episode with some amusing moments such as Reuben trying to placate the screaming fans. Keith is quite charming.

A slight correction too. Lane (not Jane) Bradbury is the episode's guest star and object of Keith's desire as Janet.
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after this episode, Lane made a great TV movie w/Sally Field, "I think I'll Come Home In The Spring" (available on DVD)
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still battling a deadline, but if you want to read more about Lane, click here:

http://www.hollywoodstarletbarbarapayton.com/bradbury/

I think you'll be surprised at all she has done -- including starring in "Gypsy" on Broadway with Ethel Merman. Very Happy
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the episode after a marathon of season four. Hard to believe only four years separate the episodes. But with all those growing kids, what should I expect? Anyway, this is a great episode. A favorite of mine, as it works the outline of the show so well. Suburban family dealing with new fame etc. Keith is a bit of a punk isn't he? Just the kind to make a good rock star. He finally gets something to do, and shows himself to be a bit of a snot. A very funny snot, mind you. It's weird how we accept as an audience how he gets 'stupider' later on. A smart kid becomes stupid over time? Maybe it was all that work. Having to write a song every two weeks (Rueben's Law) and do all those vocal arrangements for kids whose voices are always changing, and keep up with homework. Or maybe as he got older the blood kept rushing out of his head to other parts of his body. Laurie is fab as usual, in this one.
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

That Lane Bradbury bio is something else! Wow! We see these people once in our lives, but they go ahead and have fascinating lives without us! Who knew???! Wink

This is probably my first REAL favorite episode, because it dealt--however fleetingly--with the success of The Partridge Family. Looking back at it now, it makes me realize what a thankless role David would end up having. The laziest comeback a writer can give you is a sarcastic, "Very funny"! This was the first one I noticed this week, but I wonder how many times he had to say that throughout the series. It would probably make a great drinking game for us Partridge Fans on a Saturday night, but poor Keith.

I notice again that Chris and Tracy had some lines PLUS a shrug between them! They should have used this episode to negotiate a better contract! Laughing

The one aspect of this episode that stands out above everything else for me is that "Somebody Wants To Love You" VIDEO! It was practically an inspiration of the sort of videos we would come to love on MTV in the 80s (except that they were already doing them as "soundies" back in the 50s). It was terrific the way they used it as an encapsulation (is that a word?) of the episode. I remember just loving that as a kid!

I haven't watched anything from season four yet, but as I do so desperately often, I have virtually redecorated my home around it! LOL! Until today I had a 1-inch binder with a bunch of Partridge stuff in it (some articles, the trading cards, and recently the DVDs). I had cut out The Partridge Family Album cover and was using it as the cover of this binder. Well, this morning I went out and got a nice, two-inch binder, maroon in color, which matches the PF Album cover beautifully. I now have all my PF DVDs and CDs in one binder, along with all of the other memorabilia. I'm going to cobble together a nice Mondrian tribute on the back and fill the inside with a bunch of neat stuff for my next dinner with my Partridge Family friends, which is coming next month. (These are three friends of mine who grew up together, and we used to lip-synch PF songs for the neighbor-kids. We reunited about five years ago and now get together every few months.)

I can't express how much I LOVE having ALL of the CDs and ALL FOUR SEASONS!!! This is an amazing accomplishment for a Partridge Family fan, but look who I'm telling! If anyone can relate to my utter joy, it's all of you! Isn't it wonderful!? Cmon, let's all do a cmongethappy dance!!! Laughing Cool Laughing
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Couldn't agree MORE with what Gord had to say: Isn't it GREAT to finally have ALL FOUR SEASONS of the show on DVD!!! Surprised Especially given the fact that (on more than one occasion) many of us had all but given up hope of ANY of this EVER happening! Embarassed And yet, here we are, a couple years later, CELEBRATING!!! And, for ONCE in my life, I actually don't mind having been proven wrong! Laughing 'Guess dreams really DO come true after all! Wink

And now, onto my commentary regarding this week's episode, "Love At First Slight". Not surprisingly, this is a personal favorite from Season One in that Keith was the main focus, and the overall premise was simply hilarious. This premiere season seemed to bring about a great many changes in the Keith, and Reuben, characters IMHO.

By the end of this season, Keith had seized being that bit of a cocky smart-ass Rolling Eyes whom I wasn't sure I liked very much initially (even at 12, I was a "discerning woman" Wink ). However, once Keith came down off his high horse, developed more of a sense of humor, and, increasingly, became the unwitting brunt of so many of life's little torments (usually instigated by either Danny or Laurie), Keith became a good deal more "human" for me; his vulnerability making him more "approachable", so to speak. In short, I LOVE the way Keith's personality "devolved", for lack of a better word. Besides, who could resist all that Cassidy charm and self-deprecating humor that shone through all those later episodes! Laughing

I also noticed that while Reuben was ALWAYS a foil for the kids' (especially Danny) rather precocious machinations, in the earliest episodes, he was a very natty dresser. Yet, mid-way through the first season, Reuben's wardrobe began to better suit (no pun intended Embarassed ) his rather droll, though always-colorful persona. Clothes definitely MADE this man, did they not! :lol:

The teenaged guest stars in this ep were wonderful as well: Lane Bradbury was GREAT in that Sally Field TV-movie, "Maybe I'll Come Home In The Spring" the following year; and Claire Wilcox, who played the totally-besotted Kathy also appeared in Season 3's episode, "Whatever Happened To Keith Partridge?" as a friend and autograph seeker. Very Happy

I know, I know, I do tend to go on... and on, and on...:roll:

But where ELSE am I gonna EXPRESS my "inner Partridge", as Gord once put it! Surprised Shocked Laughing Wink
Chris_Wanna_B
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great episode from the magical first season. The first of several very funny Keith tries to get the girl, and ends up being taught a lesson stories, though I don't think he ever learned, as we see in later episodes. Laughing

I love the song Somebody Wants To Love You, and I agree with TVGord that it's great the show does a music video take in this episode, it really makes the song segment stand out, IMO.

I like David getting more to do, but I don't like Keith being a bit of a jerk. However he's quickly pulled back to earth by Shirley, and Kathy. It's nice when he realizes he's hurt Kathy, and back's down from uninviting her to dinner.

I also love that we get more peeks at the Ranch.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I guess I'm the dissenter here, as I didn't really like this episode.
While I absolutely agre that the "video" of Somebody wants to love you" is one of my favorite musical sequences, I found the rest of the plot somewhat flat. The whole Keith being chased by girls was to much of "A Hard Days Night" rip off to me., But he did learn some humility. I guess looking at this episode in the glasses of the 21st century while Kathy is a nice person its hard to believe that anyone with any amount of fame would just let some girl that was just hanging in the yard into the house ato just sit there and not say "Honey,don't you have somewhere to go... ? Where's your life? She's clearly too young for Keith so there is no matchmaking involved ."

Well it was still a nice look into how the "grass is always greener" when Keith is suddenly not chased by girls at the end and gets a lesson in humility which I guess was the moral of this story.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a first opportunity for David C to explore his character as Keith, I feel that he did a fine job. As a 16 or 17 year old (the character) having a first taste of fame this issue would lead to learning a valuable lesson about life. That's one of the things I like most about the show, the episodes seem to have an arc where there was growth in the characters by the end of the show.

The two young women that were the focus of the plot were very well cast and really set up the lesson well.

The music video for "Somebody Wants to Love You" (the B side of I Think I Love You and already played by me over and over before the episode aired) was great and shows that the production team thought through how to integrate the songs rather than just tack them onto the episode whenever possible (I also like the many "performance" songs through the run of the show) which gave more validity to the music than other shows might have.

Dave Madden got some great comedy bits and Shirley's patience with Keith was nice to see (how many parents actually let their kids make their own mistakes anymore?).

All in all a good episode that found me cheering Keith when he ultimately does the right thing.

Jeff
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I'm really enjoying reading all the posts in this section. I have really been looking forward to your's in particular, as you seem to have some really cool things to share. You said that you had some "fun stuff" for this episode, but you had some kind of deadline to meet, and promised to post later. So...how's that deadline coming along? Are you still planning on posting the "fun stuff?" Or did I miss something?

Thanks,
Karen
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you haven't missed anything. Sorry, my work load has gotten in the way. I will try and get the last two shows -- as well as tomorrow's (the skunk episode) taken care of before the weekend is over. Very Happy
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okie dokie, I completely understand! Thanks for responding so quickly! I will look forward to your posts.

Karen
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Scott! You rawk, dude! Dancing
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep 'em coming. I love this stuff.
Gotta check out that website.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: