[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #5: When Mother Gets Married
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Episode #5: When Mother Gets Married Reply with quote

When Mother Gets Married
Written by Bernard Slade Directed by Ralph Senensky Produced by Paul Junger Witt
Original Air Date: October 23, 1970

The Partridge kids become very worried when they think their mother is planning to remarry.
Guest Cast: John McMartin, Jaclyn Smith, Pitt Herbert

Song:
"I Really Want To Know You," music and lyrics by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil (on The Partridge Family Album)

Tube Trivia:
Jaclyn Smith is best known for playing Kelly Garrett on the hit ABC series, "Charlie's Angels."
John McMartin played David Cassidy's father on an episode of "Marcus Welby" the previous season (1969). He would later play Shaun Cassidy's father in the TV movie "Roots: The Gift."
Chris's drum set is painted with the words "The Partridge Family" rather than the familiar musical staff logo.
Producer Paul Junger Witt joined Screen Gems in 1965 as an associate producer and director on "Farmer's Daughter and "Occasional Wife." In 1971 he co-produced the highly acclaimed telefilm, "Brian's Song." He later went on to co-create and produce such shows as "Soap," "Benson," "The Golden Girls," "Empty Nest," "Beauty and the Beast," "Blossom," "The John Larroquette Show," and many others. His feature credits include "Dead Poet's Society," "Final Analysis," "Three Kings" and "Insomnia."
TV Guide featured "The Partridge Family" on their cover for the very first time the week this episode aired. To read their article on Shirley Jones, click here: http://www.cmongethappy.com/eguide/tvgshirley.htm
To read our exclusive interview with series creator Bernard Slade, visit the People and Places section of the website!
"I Really Want To Know You" is a tune recorded by the Cowsills earlier this same year and released on their LP, "Painting the Day: The Angelic Psychedelia of the Cowsills."

Last edited by Scott on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:41 am; edited 7 times in total
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McMartin is actually Shaun Cassidy's god-father, & has played Shaun's father in 2 separate projects-Roots: The Gift & The Subject Was Roses.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mc Martin also played David's carousing, playboy dad in the "Marcus Welby, M.D." episode, "Fun And Games With Michael Ambrose" where David portrayed the older man's angry, rebellious (and diabetic) son. I was fortunate enough to see the episode on a bootleg DVD last year, Embarassed and found David's performance simply BRILLANT. Cool 'Wish he'd been able to do MORE drama as well as TPF Very Happy , but when would he have had time given his grueling schedule back then. Shocked
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I finally got to see the episode of choice at the right time. Yes, that 'stained glass' is seen time and time again. Even in Paris! I like the way the episode opens with Shirley lamenting the lack of adults in her life, surrounding by kids for a full month on the road. When do the kids do their homework? Another thing I noticed, this time around, is the hotel was pretty swanky. There is a Rembrant (can't spell it) in their suite and the most famous portrait of Richard the III is in the cafe where the family and date are having the sodas. A Turner is seen too, along with other masterpieces. Kind of funny. I wonder why they stopped writing lines for Chris and Tracy. It's nice seeing them have a contribution. And...I noticed Danny is wearing street shoes in the steam room. If only the hotel knew...
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72 wrote:
John Mc Martin also played David's carousing, playboy dad in the "Marcus Welby, M.D." episode, "Fun And Games With Michael Ambrose" where David portrayed the older man's angry, rebellious (and diabetic) son. I was fortunate enough to see the episode on a bootleg DVD last year, Embarassed and found David's performance simply BRILLANT. Cool 'Wish he'd been able to do MORE drama as well as TPF Very Happy , but when would he have had time given his grueling schedule back then. Shocked

This has got to be one of my favorite pre PF roles of David's

Darryl
GeoffB40
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

Am I seeing things or has the PF used the stained glass backdrop in other episodes??

Yes Scott it appears in the background of the stage set, during the Partridge Family's performance of "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" in the episode "Mom Drops Out" (supposedly a nightclub in Paris during the group's European Tour).
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that picture of the flawlessly beautiful Jaclyn Smith up there, it made me wonder whether she auditioned for the role of Laurie. She's a shade too old for the mid-teens, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'll be watching for that stained glass backdrop now for the rest of the series! Laughing Thanks all, another obsession is just what I need! Laughing

My favorite line in the episode is when Danny says Mr. Metcalfe is a philanderer, and Chris says, "You mean he collects stamps?" Watching it now, it reminded me of Homer Simpson thinking to himself, "There it is, Homer, the funniest thing you'll ever say, and nobody noticed!" I bet Chris and Tracy had a lot of those crazy thoughts running through their heads! I'm surprised they're not as loonie as Jan Brady!

These 'Shirley's Dates' episodes always made me wonder why she and Reuben never went on a date. I guess the writers thought that would be too complex a storyline for our mooshy little heads back then. He seemed more attracted to the bubbleheaded flight attendant type, though. Shirl was probably too much woman for him.

Frankly, for a such a low-key episode, I'm surprised they didn't choose a peppier song. However, with all the clues we've discussed, this may have actually been only the second episode they shot. (Still didn't have the classic house set, the unfamiliar drum logo, Chris actually had a line that was funny. Maybe none of David's songs existed yet.) ;-)

This is far from a favorite episode for me, but I'm finding it remarkable how much I'm enjoying every episode I've seen so far. It's great to re-discover them as an adult! (When the DVDs first came out, I recalled how much I disliked The Red Woodloe Story as a kid, but watching it as an adult, I LOVED LOVED LOVED it! In tone, it feels a lot like the beloved Christmas episode. I think I'm starting to look forward to the episodes I didn't like as a kid, because I'll probably love them now!

Of course, I'm counting down the weeks to But The Memory Lingers On! (I'm stocking up on tomato juice and Mr. Bubble!) Cool Laughing
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVGord wrote:

Frankly, for a such a low-key episode, I'm surprised they didn't choose a peppier song. However, with all the clues we've discussed, this may have actually been only the second episode they shot. (Still didn't have the classic house set, the unfamiliar drum logo, Chris actually had a line that was funny. Maybe none of David's songs existed yet.) Wink
The song was a set-up for Shirley's romantic date, not a performance song.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've done better this week. Watched it here on Sunday night intstead of Monday.

I noticed the drum logo too. Also, one of the fun things about this season is that the songs do tie in to the story. Kinda like early MTV music videos or Beatles movies. Also, I like the fact that Shirley's narration at the beginning talks about life as newly minted musical act, and the traveling bus scene at the end with the on to the next show feel is what is distinguishing the PF from other TV families like the Bradys.

I still not getting into the kids interfering with Mom's dating storylines.
esp. when Keith is speaking up after Danny just got dressed down earlier for interference. He should be a bit smarter than that at least.

I get that at least in this episode the household is still fairly new at being a one parent family if you assume fairly close time periods from the pilot.
(maybe less than a year after the passing of dad) but this sets up a precedent for episodes later that kinda get lame, when you figure that the reason for starting the group in the first place was to help their Mom.

Oh well, it's all in fun and I am enjoying watching them like we used to.
Also, "And the Memory lingers on" will be a high point.
Chris_Wanna_B
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this episode, it's one of my favorite's. Shirley is so beautiful, and this is the first episode to really showcase the fact. Keith is begining to develop more. Jeremy has several lines which he does a great job with.

The cast really is starting to feel like a real family in this episode, one of the reason's why season one is my favorite. So many great lines. I've watched this episode many time's, and I still found myself laughing at every punch line.

I love I Really Want To Know You, and it's great to hear a different mix with more vocal's up front, wish it would've been the complete song.

Don't know why I enjoy the on the road story's so much, I study the PF home set every show, trying to catch all the detail's, but there is just something about the road episodes.
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the family on the road is always great fun for me. And giving Shirley a chance to date and deal with a relationship other than the kids adds another dimension to her wonderful protrayal. She really is so perfect in this role. The kids jumping ot the conclusion that Mr. Metcalfe is cheating on their mother is a timeworn sitcom device, so it didn't bother me too much how quickly they jumped... but it was abit predictible.

"I Really Want to Know You" is a beautiful song (I love harmonies!).

The meeting of Danny and Rueben in the steamroom... very funny.

And it was nice to see David get a bit more to do, he is really a good actor.

I was (and still am) happy everytime Chris and/or Tracy got lines in the show. Of course Chris knowing what a stamp collector is called (but confusing it with philanderer) again shows just how much of an intellectual Chris was... and how smart the writers were with the jokes... some on an adult level for the mature folks in the room and plenty of comedy for the kids too.

Good episode, not a favorite, but still enjoyable.

Jeff
KathySTL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Chris and Tracy got a lot of good lines in these early episodes.

and Jeremy Gelbwaks is really good at delivering them. It's a shame he was such a bother off camera.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I came across a few weeks ago and forgot to post.

Whenever Shirley had to drive the bus, there was always a Teamster on board in case she got in trouble trying to maneuver the roads. The bus didn't have power steering or power breaks and sometimes it was difficult driving in and out of a shot. Sometimes, if the shot was a closeup through the windshield, the bus was actually towed and she just pretended to drive. The Teamster usually sat on the floor, out of camera range, or off to the side.

Check out this shot. There's a red chair to the left of Shirley, in front of Danny and next to the side exit steps. I'm wondering if this was where the Teamster was sitting, and they forgot to remove it from the shot?? Laughing I also love the fact that they hadn't yet finished the paint job on the bus. :D

ZTAMS
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched this episode. Did anyone else notice that when Larry called Shirley from the lobby he asked for Suite 347, but when they show them outside the hotel door it shows number 510?
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZTAMS wrote:
I just watched this episode. Did anyone else notice that when Larry called Shirley from the lobby he asked for Suite 347, but when they show them outside the hotel door it shows number 510?

When Larry said "Do you think they heard us?"
Shirley replies "Those walls are paper thin."
Not that thin! 347 & 510 are on different floors.

Darryl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: