[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Episode #3: Whatever Happened To The Old Songs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Episode #3: Whatever Happened To The Old Songs? Reply with quote

Whatever Happened To The Old Songs?
Written by Bernard Slade Directed by Jerry Bernstein Produced by Paul Junger Witt

Shirley's elderly, mod dad proves that old songs can reach the new generation!
Guest Cast: Ray Bolger, Rosemary DeCamp

Songs:
"Baby I Love, Love, I Love You," music and lyrics by Derek Lawrence, Tony Wilson and Errol Brown (Unreleased on commercial LP) (Released on the CD: Come On Get Happy: The Very Best of The Partridge Family)
"Together," music and lyrics by Shorty Rogers and Kelly Gordon (Unreleased on commercial LP) (Released on Come On Get happy" The Very Best of The Partridge Family.)
"On The Road," music and lyrics by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil (on The Partridge Family Album)
"Bye Bye Blackbird," music and lyrics by Ray Henderson and Mort Dixon (Ray Bolger with the Partridge Family) (Unreleased on commercial LP)

Tube Trivia:
Ray Bolger starred on the vaudeville stage, appeared in dozens of feature films and television series, but is probably best remembered as the Scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz." He also appeared as Grandpa Fred Renfrew in episodes 35 and 56.
Rosemary DeCamp starred in "The Life of Riley," "The Bob Cummings Show," and as the mother of Marlo Thomas in "That Girl." She also appeared as Grandma Amanda Renfrew in Episodes 35, 56, and 86.
"I Think I Love You" hit the Billboard charts this week.
To read our exclusive interview with series creator Bernard Slade, visit the People and Places section of the website!

The photos below give an idea of where some scenes were shot on the Columbia Ranch, with the map (courtesy of www.columbiaranch.net) showing just how close some areas were to each other.

Map Diagram:
Shows where Ray Bolger shot his scenes on top of the bus (A) and where Walter and Amanda Renfrew drove off at the end (B).

Photo 1:
The bus was parked on the park area of the lot. We saw this area last week when Reuben and Danny were trying to trick Whiplash Willie into picking up money off the ground. You can see the Civic Building in the background, and the area where the bus was positioned is marked "A."

Photo 2:
This scene was filmed at the corners of Blondie Street and Park Boulevard. The PF facade is at the end of Blondie Street (named as such because the "Blondie" series of films starring Penny Singleton were filmed on this street).
You can also see the Skeffington House (A) used as "Sheila's" home in the pilot to "Bewitched."
The area marked "B" is the gas station used when the Partridges hired an ex-con bus driver for their summer tour. It has been remodeled and is used as the used car lot where Patricia Heaton works on ABC's "The Middle." It is literally next door to the facade used last week as Whiplash Willie's home. (Incidentally, "The Middle" is filmed on the same soundstage as the Partridge Family was from 1970-1974.)
The area marked "C" on the photo is the entrance to the park, mentioned above with Danny/Reuben/Whiplash Willie).
The area marked "D" is the same corner used in episode 25 as the hotel entrance where the PF said goodbye to Bobby Sherman and Wes Stern.

Last edited by Scott on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:48 am; edited 6 times in total
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest stars of the caliber of Rosemary DeCamp and Ray Bolger (anothe rmusical theatre success) was great. Their rapport with each other and the rest of the family seems very genuine. The bits were funny although the fact that Grandpa didn't know what campy meant and Chris did was stretching it just a bit, though nice that the wisdom came from a child. The way Ms. DeCamp saves the day by requesting "Blackbird" was sweet and the PF backing vocals were spectacular (considering they were improvising). Bringing back "Having a Ball" in only the third episode was good too, reminding me of the very first episode. And how they got Mr. Bolger to wear the ruffly velvet outfit was priceless. A good continuation of the show and I must say I always liked the "On the Road" episodes the best.

Jeff
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the arrangement of "Bye Bye Blackbird". I remember hearing it on the radio in the fall of 1970(without Mr. Bolger) and expecting it to be on the Partridges' first album. I was very unhappy to find it missing from the collection. I recall reading somewhere on this site that the Bahlers' made the recording of this song. Was it released as a "Love Generation" single?
Chris_Wanna_B
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this episode. It is my favorite one with the grandparents. Rosemary DeCamp and Ray Bolger are perfect, and blend with the rest of the cast so well. I've never been crazy about Baby I Love, Love, I Love You, but it's an ok song.

Two thing that have always made me scratch my head about this episode. One, when Fred is in the back of the car when they catch up to the bus, it looks like they pass a parking lot, yet they stop in the middle of the road. Two, when grandpa Fred is on stage with the family, Shirley introduces him, and he starts to play a song, but Amanda stops him, and requests Bye Bye Blackbird. Why would that song have made him look foolish to the crowd, but not Bye Bye Blackbird. Question Confused I also wish we could get the PF version of the song. Love the PF/Bahler vocals.

I also like the on the road episodes the best, which we don't get so much in the later seasons. I like how the role of Keith is handled, and indeed the whole family throughout season one. They seemed more like real people, as in the later seasons, they acted less real and more reel, IMHO.

I'm not knocking the writers, or producers, or the cast. I'm just saying I prefer the way the family was shown in the first season. I'm very thankful we're getting all four seasons on dvd at all. Very Happy Very Happy

Another big thank you to Scott for more inside info, and mini ranch tour, please keep it coming with each new show thread. You rule!
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Scott, what a pleasant surprise to see those marvelous pictures!

I have to admit I have never been a fan of Ray Bolger. He seems creepy to me and waaay too much of an overactor. Of course, I've never seen him in anything other than The Partridge Family. I like Rosemary DeCamp, but I never liked her taste in men. Between Grandpa Partridge and Lew Marie over on That Girl, she always seemed to attract annoying husbands. (Then again, so did my mom!) Laughing One thing I'll say about Mr. Bolger! With those mutton chops, he could've played an old uncle on The Dukes of Hazzard! If they had DNA tests back then, perhaps he could have been the first to utter that fateful movie phrase, "Luke, I am your father!"

Good golly, I am enjoying Shirley in her snug crushed velvet. I think I'm nominating her as the world's first retroactive MILF! When I was a boy, all I could see was Laurie in that poncho. Where was my head?

I have to chuckle at how the mandolin is equated with old-fashioned music! Yeah, it would never fit in with the mod sounds of The Partridge Family's harpsichord! Wink

As many of you have said, I love the Bahlers' background vocals on Bye Bye Blackbird! I only have the Love Generation's Best Of collection and it's not included on there, so I don't know if it was ever released, but if I knew it was out there...I would try to get it. Nice to hear Shirley shadowing her dad, too.

One of the incongruities of the early shows was how the family always seemed to play in nightclubs with older adults, completely oblivious to the group's real life teenybopper fanbase. It will be interesting to see when that changes.

Well, I didn't like this episode any more than I did as a child, but one of my favorites is coming up next...
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bye Bye Blackbird" was released as the B side to the "My Kind Of Music" single. (Check out the PF Recording Sessions page in the Music section. Both are "lost," unreleased PF songs.) It was the PF background singers, but billed as another act. I'd have to dig out the info as to what the group was called. I am pretty sure it was the only single released, without any LP to follow. Very Happy
PF7074
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord, you've never seen Ray Bolger in "The Wizard of Oz"? Surprised Actually, this is kind of an uneven episode, but there are some nice moments (Danny telling Grandpa about the thrill of hearing an audience applaud; Chris innocently hurting Grandpa's feelings by telling him the meaning of "campy"; the "Bye, Bye Blackbird" sequence). Some of the looping in this ep. seems a little sloppy, though. The scene where Keith and Laurie confront Reuben while Shirley is on the phone was so obviously redubbed. And the way the music and vocals of "On the Road" keep going after the family has stopped singing. Also, as I mentioned in another post, the "Titanic" line is a bit of a head-scratcher Confused
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PF7074 wrote:
Gord, you've never seen Ray Bolger in "The Wizard of Oz"? Surprised

No, I never really watched children's movies as a kid. I was the youngest of a very much older family, so I always tried to act older than I should have. My nursery rhymes were Beatles songs. The first movies I ever saw (at a drive-in) were 2001: A Space Odyssey and True Grit. The first Disney movie I ever saw was The Lion King.

I kinda feel like I should burst into tears now. Embarassed Laughing Actually, I wouldn't have traded my childhood for anything, but it was...different.
kiethlives
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so much fun reading everyone's comments. I'd just like to say how well Ms. DeCamp was cast as Shirley's mother. They actually look alike. Unlike the Partridge children. And I believe Hilary Clinton took her pantsuit idea from Shirley. Although it can't be argued that Shirley looks a lot better in them! I too love the 'on the road episodes', it shows the concept best, I think. Although it takes a long while for Keith to get a personality, as I've mentioned before. OH, and I've found a 'original' Partridge fan to watch the episodes with me, so hurray for the whole thing!
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've never been a fan of the Renfrew episodes (I always felt they took away from the main focus of the show, being The PARTRIDGE Family), Ray Bolger's character "Scarecrow", in the original movie, "The Wizard Of Oz" (my personal favorite from childhood, which I managed to view annually till I was eleven, then becoming too sophisticated for such childish things, I suppose Rolling Eyes Laughing ) was also my favorite character in that lovely musical ('Guess I had a thing for "brainy" men even then! Cool ); and, like Dina Merrill, Rosemary De Camp always struck me being so lovely and gracious whatever her roles' demands.Very Happy

I must also confess that I never cared for the songs "Baby I Love, Love, Love, Love, Love You" or "Bye, Bye Blackbird", so the music in this episode was somewhat of a disappointment -- except for the small bit of "Together (Having A Ball)" that was briefly included. Stil, I found this episode as enjoyable as any of their other Renfrew "visits" in that there are lovely, sweet moments between the grandparents and their youngest family members and, ultimately, each other.Very Happy

BTW: I couldn't help noticing how many Corvettes were used in this series: the white one given to David; the yellow one "The Renfrews" drove in this episode; the blue one Bert Convey's character had in a later season episode; and a red one the entire cast posed in at some point in the third or fourth season. I don't remember the commercials from back then, but I can't help wondering if, perhaps, Corvette was a sponsor. Wink
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now I am caught up.

I think its cute when Ray Bolger shows up in the ruffles. Wonder if this is the one sold to David Tennant a year or so ago.

http://oldmaid.blog.co.uk/2007/07/04/david_tennant_joins_the_partridge_family~2572470

I don't recall David Cassidy ever wearing this version of the velvet.

Also interesting that Grandpa auditions with "Albuqurque" since we haven't seen that episode yet in the sequence.

I do like the on the road focus of this season. But as I was watching the third season like the Kings Island episode they never gave up traveling.

It does seem that Chris and Tracy had more to do in these episodes then later when Danny became the break out. They are the cute ones in these and of course, it's Chris who explains things to Grandpa. I almost forgot how cute Jeremy was since we had more seaons with Brian.

They both do a good job with the material they are given.
ZTAMS
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why were there two different drum tracks simultaneously on Bye, Bye, Blackbird? Did anyone else catch that? Listen to about the last 5-10 seconds of the song. I think the second drum track adds more bass drum but it sounds wrong with the first track happening at the same time.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if the photos are coming through OK. I am still playing around with sizing. Very Happy
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I made a major boo boo on the map. I incorrectly labeled the Skeffington House (brick building in the background on the long photo) as the civic building. The civic building is the long building at the bottom of the map. I'll make the fix later. Very Happy
KathySTL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty good to me.
Enjoying looking at the extras with the club. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Season One All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: