[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Reviews For Bulletin Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder why I have made myself scarce lately....
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But see, this is what we were discussing before you needed to take a break. Very Happy Many people are going to be passionate about this stuff, and I think that should be OK. It's also OK for others to not share the enthusiasm. But for one, I understand it. I'm not sure where else people should be allowed to vent, but here. It's not like there are dozens of other places to discuss PF music. Very Happy But, I think there are some misconceptions in what os posted, so I'll try and clear those up because David did not have anything to do with BB getting released. :D

os, you don't like it -- we get it. That's fine. But personally, I thought the CD sounded fine. That's fine too. (And yes, I did listen to it.) I didn't have some safe cracker with a stethescope calibrating my doohickey thingamabob, though. Laughing Laughing Laughing ;)

Let me try and clear up some misconceptions you have:

1. David Cassidy did NOT have to be paid ANY money to get Bulletin Board released. He already had an agreement with Sony many years ago. The only reason why Bulletin Board wasn't released before is because of low sales for the other later LPs (Crossword Puzzle, etc.) So putting blame on David is incorrect. David would have allowed a TON of unreleased material (including his solo take on "On The Road) to be included, if he was paid what he felt it was worth. They disagreed on terms, and that's that. I understand his point.

2. I have posted twice now, that Collectors Choice DID indeed get their source material from Sony. Here again, is what they said. I have no reason to believe they would be lying, as the information was shared unsolicited :

But the most important thing is the absolute original masters for the album were used plus the original, previously unissued stereo mixes of Shirley's single produced by Bones Howe in 1972. Although the Shirley songs are not particularly organic to the album, "Ain't Love Easy" was used on the show and has a Partridge sound with the backing singers.

I don't think anyone here is stooopid enough to like the CD simply because we have waited a long time for it's release, and like kool-aid-drinking-rabid zombie-like fans, will like anything simply because it's been released. Laughing (That may not be the way you intended for the post to read -- maybe I am reading something into it that's not there. It was a passionate post and sometimes they can be read wrong.) I also don't think there's any conspiracy going on simply because the remastering credits were left off the CD's liner notes. I think you're jumping to conclusions (with a scud missile tied to your back. Laughing Laughing ) Very Happy
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh passion, yes. But there is also nothing wrong with just being happy to have the music. It does not indicate a need for anyone to feel sorry for us!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree. Very Happy
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy from Boston wrote:
Oh passion, yes. But there is also nothing wrong with just being happy to have the music. It does not indicate a need for anyone to feel sorry for us!

On the other hand, there's something to be said for being pitied. I'll take that. Woe is me, he said, as he boogied down the hall to "I Wouldn't Put Nothin' Over On You"! Wink
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Bulletin Board CD was made from vinyl because I too own two mint copies of Bulletin Board on vinyl, plus I've heard about three other transfers from vinyl by other people and all of them suffer from those distorted and scratchy "s" and "sh" sounds in the lyrics in the songs. The official CD doesn't have these problems. I believe the cd is from the tape that was used to cut the original record. The record wasn't cut properly resulting in the problems with those "s" sounds. The tape would be o.k. and free of these problems. I'm happy with the sound of the CD, if some people aren't then I'd suggest they play around with the tracks in a wav editor. Either maximize it to sound "loud" like today's cds or play with the EQ to make it sound like some people think it should sound. Either pump up the bass or the highs to make it brighter sounding, etc. But even with an official CD release of the album, some people aren't happy. LOL!
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get all whatever, but some people are simply NEVER happy, Dave.

Last edited by Amy from Boston on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm glad I don't have "champagne and caviar" ears. They're more like "beer and pretzel" ears. Laughing Laughing Otherwise, I guess I wouldn't be able to enjoy the music either.

Here's a question for you audiophiles! If Bob Kovach, the original engineer, mixed the music (the way we have been hearing it back in 1973), and Collectors Choice used his two-track "master" provided by Sony, wouldn't we be getting a different sound than he intended, IF some company went back to the original multi track masters and started all over again (as some of you have requested)? Confused
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just happy I can throw away my boot copy.
Sometimes I listen to the music on headphones, but all in all I just like to enjoy it. Sounds fine to me.
Pass the pretzels Scott.

Darryl
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to picture Scott with pretzel ears! Smile
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
....David would have allowed a TON of unreleased material (including his solo take on "On The Road) to be included, if he was paid what he felt it was worth. They disagreed on terms, and that's that. I understand his point.

:shock: Shocked Shocked Wait, wait, wait, wait, WAIT! Hold up a minute! You're saying that David did a SOLO take of one of my FAVORITE songs from the PF debut album, "On The Road" Surprised Surprised Surprised (which I LOVE, in case you didn't hear me the FIRST time! Embarassed Laughing ), but they decided to go with The Bahlers INSTEAD??? Confused Confused Confused Now, don't get me wrong, I simply LOOOOOOVE their singing, believe me, but can't understand WHY the powers that be chose NOT to use David's version of this song Surprised -- which I would KILL to someday hear BTW ! Laughing

What happened, Scott, any ideas? Thanks! Wink
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenbubblegumkid wrote:
Anyway, I'm going to write to Collector's Choice and tell them how happy I was with the album and suggest that they release the unreleased songs. I know this only depends on the deal they make with David but I feel it couldn't hurt.

Ken

Hey, Ken: :D

What a GREAT idea! Maybe if we ALL write Collector's Choice, thanking them for BB, and letting them know JUST HOW MUCH we want the unreleased PF songs (and "Cassidy: Live!", of course! Wink ), they might re-enter negotiations with David regarding this possiblity. Like you say, it's worth a shot, isn't it. After all, it seems to have worked with BB (and Seasons 3 and 4), so why not! Thanks again for the COOL idea! I'm off now (Please, no comments from the Peanut Gallery, thank you! Laughing ) to email CC!

Here's hoping, :o

Sabrina Wink
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sabrina,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you liked the idea. If we've come this far with all of the releases then "How Long is Too Long" Shocked (I'm not sure what that means but it just sounded good) Very Happy .

Ken
PF7074
Simone's Groomer
Simone's Groomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Collector's Choice could release DC's "Dreams Are Nothin' More Than Wishes" next. I don't believe that a CD of that album has ever been put out domestically before, has it?
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher & Dreams have been released in Japan, but not domestically.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: