[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Reviews For Bulletin Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reviews For Bulletin Board Reply with quote

Since Collectors Choice has started shipping, and people have started receiving their CDs, let's hear what you all think about the release! Anything from packaging to liner notes, to sound quality, song preferences, etc. Very Happy
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, aren't you going to buy a copy? I thought you would be one of the 1st people to get the cd? I'm sure you could pick it up at a local cd store in L.A.
MischievousSpirit
Bus Mechanic
Bus Mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott mentioned he got an advance copy back on the 15th.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I had a copy of Season 3 on DVD. I had nothing to do with Bulletin Board, and therefore no reason to get an advance copy. My copy is on the way just like everybody else. :D

Besides -- my opinion means squat. I wanted to know what you all thought of the CD. Very Happy
Greely Winger
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa Sutton probably got an advance copy, since she did the liner notes.
But I wouldn't think anbody else would have one.

Darryl
batmanfreak
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my review:
I didn't like the white border around the front cover but I think Collector's Choice does that on all their releases. It was a strange experience hearing this disc without the pop and clicks from the LP I own. The music sounded GREAT! Nice job remastering. I really wasn't too thrilled with the bonus tracks. I just can't consider them PF songs. I'm sorry. Maybe if Wes Farrell had produced the sessions they would sound closer to the PF sound. I felt the liner notes were condensed as they don't seem to go as in depth as on the other CDs. All in all I liked this CD. I love the music on this CD and was amazed to hold it in my hand. Now all we need are:
1) The unreleased songs
2) The rest of the David Cassidy catalog
"Cassidy Live!"
"Home is Where The Heart Is"
"Gettin' It In The Streets"
Chris_Wanna_B
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thrilled to FINALLY own the actual legit cd release. I was worried that the disc might be remastered with the high's way to "hot" like most remastered cd's I've heard of late, but it sounds fantastic!! A very happy camper here, as I thought we'd never see BB on cd.

A great big thank you, thank you, thank you to the powers that be who decided to release this gem!

I like both of the bonus tracks also.
os
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was worried that the disc might be remastered with the high's way to "hot" like most remastered Cd's I've heard of late, but it sounds fantastic!!"

Care to elaborate? If it was properly mastered it should sound like the rest of the catalog of the later Buddha reissues. LOUD! and with a good dynamic range. I don't want it to sound "wimpy" like a vinyl LP or an MP3 with the compressed sound. Ideally it would sound exactly like the original master tape if that's what was used.
Who did the remastering and at what studio?
Also, which Cd's did you listen to that you considered where remastered too 'hot"?
I'm just trying to get a handle on this sonic wise as some folks still want a CD to sound like the crappy vinyl instead of the what it's supposed to sound like..the original master tapes! 8)

IMO the Razor & Tie reissues sounded good for that time (Except for the Xmas album that sounds horrible and should have been reissued by Sony/BMG with a new remaster) but the later Buddha reissues sound louder, much fuller and closer to the real deal as they were remastered from the original master tapes.
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOUD! does not equate to better sound quality. When you compress/hard limit music too much, you lose dynamic range. A lot of today's CDS are mastered "hot" loud so that most music has a constant volume level with very little dynamic range because they boosted the softer passages in a song to sound almost as loud as the louder ones. Also some music tracks are compressed so much, there is actual digital clipping/distortion in the tracks. Compressing tracks is acceptable if done sparingly. For example, if I master stuff, I usually will add a tiny bit of limiting by about 1.5 db. But today's cds they boost signals as much as 6 - 8db which is way too much. Anyway have you ever watched T.V. and when some commercials come on, they sound louder than others? That's compression. I can't explain it properly, but loud is bad. I thought Crossword Puzzle and Shopping Bag were mastered too hot compared to the Buddha releases. Anyway, read these articles below to understand why today's cds sound really bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity/print
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I understand what you're saying about the high end being too hot and I did hear the difference you're talking about in Crossword Puzzle and Shopping Bag compared to the Buddha releases but I actually was okay with it.

I'm a high end guy. While I have the base most of the way up when I listen to CDs, I always have the treble all the way up because to me that brings out the detail of the instruments, ie..cymbals, harpsichord, horns etc. If it's not all the way up sometimes it sounds a touch muffled to me.

I totally agree with you about the compression taking away dynamic range.

I loved the way the Buddha releases were especially Sound Magazine because everything was so detailed.

Os,

I agree that the music should sound full and just like the masters.

Ken
os
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Dave!

I do like to hear it loud but I also want to hear the wide dynamic range and crispness. Loudness is not a bad thing in and of itself but when they improperly master them with compression then they are just defeating the purpose of the original master tapes.

I had read about the "loudness wars" a while back in Billboard magazine. Most people don't know any better especially with the advent of the crappy compressed to death MP3s. I loath iPods!
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be getting confused with MP3 compression (taking a lossless file format like wav) and converting it to a smaller, more manageable lossy file format like MP3s. Compressing a sound file to make it sound louder is something totally different than compressing a wav file to MP3s. Yeah in today's world, a lot of younger generation of listeners aren't into sound quality as much and just want to fit as many songs as possible on their iPods, thus quality of the sound suffers.
Chris_Wanna_B
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Care to elaborate? If it was properly mastered it should sound like the rest of the catalog of the later Buddha reissues. LOUD!"

Hi OS,

The Buddha reissues were just what I was talking about, re: being remastered to hot, and sounding LOUD. I much prefer the Razor & Tie PF releases, which are more balanced on the sound spectrum, in my opinion.

The high's are just way to up front on the Buddha disc's for my taste. I play the R&T Up To Date in my car cd player and it sounds perfect to me, where as with the Buddha disc, I thought I had a blown speaker, and it just plain sounded terrible to my ears. I love to turn up the PF volume in the car, but it doesn't sound good to me when the volume is already pre-pumped LOUD, like the Buddha disc's.

I was worried that Bulletin Board would sound like the Buddha remasters, but am very pleased that it is right along the lines of the R&T issues.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. If you prefer the Buddha issues, more power to you. Very Happy
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I have unsophisticated ears that can't distinguish these nuances you all are talking about. Smile As long as it sounds better than it would on a transister radio, I'm a happy--if blithely ignorant--consumer.
Dave Polo
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Razor and Tie PF cds were mastered by Bill Inglot, they were not compressed at all or no-noised, there is some very minor EQing, but overall it was mostly a flat transfer, but the tape they used had a lot of dropouts too. I'm assuming they probably used the two track mixdown masters used to press the vinyl records. You can even hear the hiss on the tracks which means they didn't try to remove the hiss which sucks the life out of the music and the high frequencies. This was back in the day before they started pumping up the volume on CDs, these were mastered around 1992-1993. Around 1995, that's when they started to compress cds and every year after that it got worse.

What I'd like to see is the Partridge Family cds remastered using a higher bitrate and higher sampling rate, current CDs are 16 Bit, 44.1 kHz, I'd like to see them mastered at 24bits, 96 kHz. I'd go back to the 1st generation 8-16 track tapes and remix them all digitally and make a new two track mixdown master. I'd try to mix the tape like the original mixes if they still have the notes they used when they did their mixdown sessions. This way we remove a 2nd or third generation of tape and everything will be 1st generation because it was mixed digitally from the 1st generation multi-tapes. Sort of like what they did on the Beatles Love CD/DVD, they went back to the original 1st generation tapes or highest generation tapes they could find and remixed them all new with experimental mixes. Most people agree the sound quality was amazing compared to any other previously released Beatles CD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: