[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

The Emmys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: The Emmys Reply with quote

Congrats to "Mad Men" for winning the Emmy for Best Dramatic Series. It's well deserved. It's such a great show!! Smile I was hoping Jon Hamm (lead actor in the show) would take home an award but he didn't. If he didn't win I was hoping James Spader would but he's won it at least twice before for his wonderful job on "Boston Legal". But of course the winner was Bryan Cranston for a show I'd never heard of. :)

I was very happy to see Jeremy Piven win again for his unbelievably great portrayal of Ari Gold, the agent on "Entourage". As long as that show is on the air, he should win every year. He is just so damn good in that role!! :lol:

I would have liked to see Mary-Louise Parker win for her role on "Weeds" as the pot dealing mom. She can convey so much with just a look. But Tina Fey definitely deserved the award.

Didn't really care about any other awards.I fell asleep for about the second hour and woke up for the last one so I missed some awards. Anybody else have any thoughts?

Last edited by Marjorie63 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add much more, but I'll say I, too, was glad to see Mad Men win for best drama. The only comedy I watch is The Office, so I didn't have an opinion on that. I think Tina Fey is brilliant and it was definitely her night. I've never seen Weeds, but I adore Mary Louise Parker.

"Breaking Bad" which stars Bryan Cranston is on AMC and follows Mad Men, but I turn off the TV when it comes on. LOL

I didn't like that the focus of the show was on reality TV. I'm not a fan.

I enjoyed seeing the audience reflect a wide variety of actors that are more known for film or theater. There's certainly not the division there once was between the three mediums.

Jennifer
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality hosts as hosts of the Emmys? **hack****putooey** Reality TV is NOT television. Dumb idea. They were horrible.

The Laugh-In cast could have benefited from more rehearsal (and better material). That felt flat to me too.

Don Rickles was a highlight. But it's painfully obvious when you put a legend on stage, that there's nobody in today's business that can come close.

Overall it was so-so. Certainly better than last year's fiasco where the awards were in the round.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hosts were terrible! What an awful idea. Ricky Gervais should host it. LOL

Yay Mad Men. Yay Tina Fey. Yay the John Adams awards (great series).

Don Rickles provided the funniest moment of the evening!

But I mostly just like looking at the gowns. Laughing
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Josh Groban fan (I realize he's great, I just don't like his style of music), but I thought he did an terrific, funny and spot-on job with the TV theme songs. If he had replaced The Brady Bunch with The Partridge Family, it would've been perfect! Wink Laughing

I also enjoyed Tommy Smothers finally getting that long-overdue 1968 Emmy. That whole segment was nostalgic for me. (I really enjoyed reading Steve Martin's memoir this year!)

There was a lot to like about this year's show. I chose to ignore the reality hosts for the most part, but I did enjoy Jimmy Kimmel making them wait through the commercial break to find out who won.

Maybe next year, they should let Lorne Michaels produce the Emmys and let the cast of 30 Rock co-host it! (Nah, I'm just kidding. It would probably be the death-knell-jinx that kills on TVs all-time best comedies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: