[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Partridge Family in USA Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rugger57
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Partridge Family in USA Today Reply with quote

Not sure if this is where I should put this......

Imagine my suprise when I picked up the USA TODAY newspaper and found a photo of our favorite family on the 3rd page in on the MONEY section today (August 14th)

Seems the article was talking about stations able to to piggyback on the new digital system being put in place. I didn't understand the whole thing, and quite frankly it makes me even leary to touch my television dial aftter reading it! But it was talking about new life for old television series and sitoms.

Anyway, nothing said about the PF per se, but was odd to be seeing their faces in print in the newspaper after all these years!
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The digital television spectrum is much broader than the old analog broadcast system. There is space in between, say, channels 4 and 5 for additional channels. Local stations are buying up that space, which allows them to have things like local news 24/7 or a local weather channel or whatever. If you were to buy a digital TV today, you would find all kinds of channels on it that you didn't even know existed. For example, your local NBC channel probably has at least two additional channels onto which they broadcast various kinds of programming (perhaps they have an HD channel or a weather channel). The new channels don't have many viewers (at least initially), so they need cheap content. That's where vintage TV shows may enter the picture.

Here's a link to the online version of the story:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/services/2008-08-13-digital-tv-extra-local-channels_N.htm
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds good in theory, but unless you have a good digital TV and excellent antenna location, I don't see much good.

The government converter boxes aren't very reliable from what I've seen and at least my cable company doesn't offer all of the varied digital feeds from all the stations.

(at least now,unless that changes in the future.) Here in St. Louis are PBS station offers 4 digital HD feeds but the cable company only offers us one.
I have found all of them on the antenna, but they don't always come in steady.

Biggest problem with the new digital channels as opposed to analog is its' all or nothing. ( no snowy versions of channels)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: