[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Mamma Mia!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add a little more to the "jukebox" musical topic, there were some shows prior to Mama Mia, such as Ain't Misbehavin', that featured the songs of a single writer/performer. Mama Mia may well be the first where there was an attempt to write a book. I admit that I haven't seen any of the predecessors, however.

I JUST returned from seeing Jersey Boys. If you haven't seen it, why not? and DO! It is terrific. Scott, you are on the money about JB. One thing that makes it a better book than some of the others (like The Boy from Oz), is that they didn't try to shoehorn songs in to the story. Most of the music takes place on stage or in studios. There is the rare occasion when a song is used to fit the story or mood, but it's never intended to further the story. I love the way Jersey Boys is written and staged.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure "Ain't Misbehavin" used the songs in order to advance the plot, did it? I never saw the show. Confused
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't Ain't Misbehavin' either. I don't think it did. You are probably right that Mama Mia is the first to use songe in that mannter.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
Oh, gee -- don't go by me 100%. There are others that know DC's post-PF stuff WAY better than I. Very Happy

Scott's right--DC recorded the song but didn't write it.

On the musicals topic, Robin Gibb keeps saying that a stage musical based on the Bee Gees catalog will go up this year. Since their catalog is vast, one would think that they could find plenty of songs to advance a plot. But they'll probably just use the hits, so I suspect it will be a bit of a mess if it actually does happen. Laughing
CHEZ
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I read somewhere that Bruce Johnstone wrote I Write The Song about Brian (Wilson). Smile
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia:

"I Write the Songs" is a popular song written by Bruce Johnston in 1975 and recorded by David Cassidy, Captain & Tennille and Barry Manilow the same year. Manilow's version reached #1 on both the Billboard Hot 100 and the adult contemporary charts in early 1976, and it became one of his signature songs.

The title has been misunderstood to mean that the singer (or songwriter) "writes the songs," but the actual songwriter, The Beach Boys' Bruce Johnston, has stated that the "I" in the song is "music." He went on to say that songs come from the spirit of music in all of us: "I am music, and I write the songs." He also stated in several interviews that this song had been written as an homage to Brian Wilson, the "genius" who has written the best music of The Beach Boys.

The first time the song was released on a single was from David Cassidy in 1975 from the album, The Higher They Climb. The single reached #11 on the charts in Great Britain[1].

Barry Manilow released his version of "I Write the Songs" as the first to be taken from the album Tryin' to Get the Feelin' and was released on November 15, 1975. It reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 nine weeks later, on January 17, 1976.

This song was also recorded by Johnny Mathis, Tom Jones, Dinah Shore, David Osborne, Don Estelle as well as Bruce Johnston himself on his 1977 Going Public album. Frank Sinatra sang it as "I sing the songs".

Manilow once did a parody duet titled "I Write The Songs/I Wreck The Songs" with Rosie O'Donnell on her show on April 18, 1997. A sample of the lyrics are:

B: I write the songs that you sing in the shower
R: You write the songs I mutilate by the hour
B: You sing my songs and make your neighbors complain
B: I write the songs
R: I wreck the songs
B: I am music
R: And I wreck the songs!

Manilow did another shortened performance of this song with Stephen Colbert when he was a guest on The Colbert Report on October 30, 2006.

Cool info, huh? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: