[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Mamma Mia!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Mamma Mia! Reply with quote

Anybody see the film? Thoughts?? Very Happy
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it. Loved it. It is a totally fun movie with a great cast. They relied a little too much on the "Dora" effect for Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth, both of whom should never sing again, however.
KathySTL
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the singing was a bit interesting. Smile

Glad it played out well as a movie. I'll catch it sometime. on cable if nothing else.

Saw in live at the Fox here in town a few years ago, and enjoyed it immensely.

Fun show with fun songs.
CHEZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet but got the CD when it came out (!) but it was only last week that I realised it has a secret track on it! Smile
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took in the Matinee of Mama Mia, last Sat. I had seen the show in Las Vegas, & loved it-- the scenery was beautiful, & I loved the way they wove the songs into the plot.
In fact, eveything was great except for one thing-- if you are casting a Musical, the actors should be able to sing!!! Except for the young actress playing Sophie, and one of the mother's friends, the cast is like something out of community theater! Meryl Streep can carry a tune, but the leading men were cast for their "names" & looks-- Pierce Brosnan still looks wonderful, but I'd have prefered to have his voice dubbed in by anyone! In fact, I wish the men had been re-cast with Antonio Bandaras, John Travolta & David Cassidy (real singers all, and in the right age-range)! Susan Lucci (All My Children) or even Olivia Newton-John could have easily replaced Meryl Streep, looking & sounding better!
If you like musicals, see this, but take it with a grain of salt (or ear-plugs!)
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mamma Mia!" was (I think) the first of the catalog-music musicals, where music created for another genre was used in a book musical. So when I first saw it in LA (on it's way to Broadway from a smash run in the UK) I didn't know what to make of it. Squeezing the songs to fit the story seemed like forcing round pegs into square holes. I didn't know if I was supposed to laugh at it or with it. I remember NOT being blown away with the book, choreography, singing or acting on stage. I remember thinking it was quite amateurish. Of course, none of that mattered because it was ABBA's music that was so enjoyable and I think I've seen it 3 times, when various friends/family have visited. :lol:

I felt the same way about the film. And, of course I'm going to see it again. Laughing I just wish the singers were better. I enjoyed Meryl Streep, but thought the rest of the roles should have been cast with people who could sing better.

BUT, if you haven't seen it, you should go because none of this matters. There's something about ABBA's music that transcends all ages, walks of life, etc. It's infectious. AND, it will make you want to vacation in Greece. I wish we weren't so hated over there -- I'd consider it. Thanks, Bush. Very Happy
KathySTL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the movie "Across the Universe" seemed to follow in this Genre and I understand that there is a musical pending using Billy Joel muic.

Of course, I guess the original Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts club band movie with Framption and Bee Gees probably would qualify as the first in this genre.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorta kinda. I didn't see "Across the Universe." Was the Beatles' music used as plot points in order to advance a story or were they used in the background, more like a soundtrack ala "Saturday Night Fever?"

I think there's a difference between forcing music into the plot of a story, and using music as a soundtrack, in the background or as concert music. From what i heard, that's why "Jersey Boys" worked so well -- because the music wasn't used in order to advance the story/plot line. I think that's where I had the most trouble with Mamma Mia. Usually, both work in tandem when a musical is being created. There are exceptions though, like "The Who's Tommy." But, that was a concept album from the get-go so there was a story already in place. Again, at times "Mamma Mia!" felt like round pegs were being shoved into square holes. Maybe I'm just used to songs for a musical being focused on the plot and emotion of what's happening on stage. There's just no way that music created prior to a story can adequately convey what's needed.

But, I say this having really enjoyed the movie, and as I said I'd definitely go back. :lol:

Billy Joel's music was used on Broadway in a show called "Moving Out." The story -- as weak as it was, was told through dance but the same issues were apparent in that show too. I haven't seen some of the other musicals that have done this because they closed before I had a chance to get to New York. I think Elvis's music, as well as the Beach Boys music was used in this manner to poor ticket sales and reviews. I wonder what Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" was like? Did anybody see that? Very Happy
CassidyDiva
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the TV movie on which the show was based. Barry played the Copa singer & Annette O'Toole played Lola. There was a plot about a gangster who forced Lola into singing & dancing in his nightclub & Barry's character came to win her back. The late Estelle Getty played Barry's mother.
Cassidy Connection-- Beau Cassidy played the lead in a FLA community production.
http://facffanclub.netfreehost.com/index.php?mforum=facffanclub
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CassidyDiva wrote:
Cassidy Connection-- Beau Cassidy played the lead in a FLA community production.

Since we're on the subject, let me ask a question that's been driving me NUTS Shocked Surprised for YEARS now! While I know that David penned, and recorded, "I Write The Songs" (which was later covered by Barry Manilow), I seem to be suffering a bit of confusion Confused regarding the song, "Copacabana". I seem to recall something about his having done a production of "At The Copa" (I THINK, though I'm not certain Shocked ), and was wondering if he actually WROTE the song of the same name, or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance for clearing this matter up for me. Wink
Randy64
Official Bus Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia...

"I Write the Songs" is a popular song written by Bruce Johnston in 1975 and recorded by David Cassidy, Captain & Tennille and Barry Manilow the same year.

Copacabana is a 1978 disco song, sung by Barry Manilow, and written by Jack Feldman
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Randy: :D

Thanks for the info on "Copacabana", and while I HATE to disagree with you regarding "I Write The Songs", I'm afraid I must as while David ISN'T credited with the writing of this song, he is, indeed, its author, as Wikipedia isn't always accurate in its research. Wink
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope -- I don't think so. It was definitely written by Bruce Johnston. David was the first to record it, and was more than a little miffed that Clive Davis, after taking over Bell-now-Arista didn't let DC have the song. Instead he gave it to Barry Manilow. DC's hit with the song was mainly in the UK, if I'm not mistaken.

This is the same Bruce Johnston, BTW that joined the Beach Boys in 1965 after Glen Campbell left. Also according to Wikipedia: For "I Write the Songs," he won a Grammy. "I Write The Songs" has been recorded by over two hundred artists (including Frank Sinatra Shocked) and it currently has a cumulative singles/albums worldwide sales figure of twenty-five million copies.

DC's "At The Copa" was a Las Vegas show he created and stared in (after "Rat Pack") with Sheena Easton. It didn't have anything to do with the "Copacabana" song by Barry Manilow, from what I remember. :D

Oh -- and "Mamma Mia!" has nothing to do with the spicey meat-a-ball commercial for Alka Selzer. Laughing

Last edited by Scott on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clearing that up, Scott. I stand corrected. Sorry about that, Randy. Seems you were right after all. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, gee -- don't go by me 100%. There are others that know DC's post-PF stuff WAY better than I. But, I have never heard that DC wrote that song. I have always heard it incorrectly attributed to Barry Manilow, as a matter of fact -- because he is a songwriter, and the title alone suggests it's autobiographical. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: