[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Mad Men
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Mad Men Reply with quote

Any other Mad Men fans out there? Season 2 premieres this Sunday (on AMC). Best show on television, hands down.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ, I hadn't watched any of season one but I had heard so many good things about this including what you had said previously on the board so I added the season one DVDs to my Netflix queue. Then a couple weeks ago I discovered that season 1 was available on "On Demand" from my cable company. So I removed them from my Netflix queue and have been watching the episodes on "On Demand". I have four more episodes to watch.

I'm loving this show!! I love the look of the show, the soap opera aspect, and the glimpses into a big ad agency circa 1960 (I love the way they use real companies as clients). It's fun to see how much has changed since then. I'll probably watch season two on "On Demand" also since I can pause and rewind (which I need to do often to make sure I really understand what is going on Laughing). So thanks PJ for recommending this show. Smile
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Season one aired yesterday. I hope my Tivo got it all. I missed the first episode and the last two. I'm looking forward to the new season.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I'm glad that there are a couple of fans out there. It is just the best show on every level. The sets are amazing...every little detail is appropriate not just to the period, but to the YEAR. The dialog is fabulous, the story lines are fabulous, and the actors are amazing.

IMO, a lot of the excitement and tension in the show stems from the fact that the whole world changed in a few years in the 60s. The guys in this agency think they're on top of the world in 1960, and you know that they're on the edge of discovering that they're actually dinosaurs. We got a glimmer of that last season, but the next couple of seasons will blow that open, I suspect.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure, all of these characters will eventually die from lung cancer or emphysema. Smile
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know! The first episode made me cough. Laughing
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article looks at the good and the bad about what has changed since those days.

http://www.nysun.com/opinion/mad-for-mad-men/82782/
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. I remember my mom as a young woman in the 60s...I'm personally glad that I don't have to "go to the hair dresser" on a weekly basis to get my hair sculpted, wear elaborate foundational garments, don dresses with really tight bodices and trip around in shoes with 4-inch spiked heels. The women may have looked stylish, but those clothes couldn't have been comfortable (she says while wearing linen slacks and a silk blouse that are as comfortable as jammies).

What did you think of the premiere? I thought it lacked the sizzle and tension of previous shows, but it had some good Mad Men moments:

* Joan's power play with the copy machine. I love it that Joan pu it in Peggy's office to take her down a few pegs after she upbraided and humiliated a secretary. Laughing

* Don telling the oaf in the elevator to remove his hat rather than saying, "Watch your language, there's a lady present." Don confronts the changing world in classic Don Draper style.

* Betty getting ideas after finding out that her former roomie is a call girl. She played a very dangerous game out there on the road. It will be interesting to see where this goes. Betty is very odd. I love Betty.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I remember even in the late 60s and early 70s going with my Mom every week to get her hair done. And I remember her wearing a girdle. Yuck!! But I also remember when we briefly lived in Santa Monica in 1966-67 and there was an elevator operator in the old classy department store we used to shop in. I always loved that!!

There is a 8X10 glossy black and white photo of my parents taken around the time of this show. The photo was taken at a dinner at a restaurant or a nightclub with my father's businees colleagues and their wives. There are several couples all around a table. The photo refliects the era in the same way that Mad Men does. All the women are wearing beautiful dresses and the men are all wearing suits with the skinny ties. The women all look like they just came from the hairdresser and heve a can of Aqua Net in their hair. Laughing Everybody has a cigarette in their hand and a glass with some kind of liquor on the rocks on the table. Anyway the series immediately reminded me of his picture.

I haven't watched the season two premiere yet. I still have to watch the last three episodes of season one which I will probably get started on today. I love this show so much I love being able to watch several episodes at once. Smile
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63 wrote:
Everybody has a cigarette in their hand and a glass with some kind of liquor on the rocks on the table.

The cocktail generation thing is really interesting. My generation didn't really drink cocktails--we were a beer and wine bunch. But I know people my parents' age who are all about cocktails. They fire up the cocktail cart at 5:00 p.m. each day, or the minute they get home from work. It's such a curious thing. I'm too cheap and lazy to make cocktails for guests. Laughing

I'm also glad that hubby doesn't slick his hair back. That stuff must have done a number on furniture and pillow cases. And I'm glad I don't have to wear curlers to bed! Can you imagine?
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed watching all the episodes in rapid succession and am so glad the show is back for season 2. I agree, PJ, that the latest installment didn't have the same something that previous episodes had, but it's still better than anything else out there right now. I love the little wink-wink nudge-nudges like:

Betty (to Sally): Look how many Valentines you got!
Sally: Yeah! Everybody had to give one to everybody.
Betty: Well that defeats the purpose.
There was a similar funny moment last season with the dry cleaner bag. LOL! Betty is a strange and interesting character. I think she's going to be on an interesting trek this season.

I find Pete completely smarmy at work, and don't like him. I love Joan. I read that we'll be seeing more of everyone at home. That should be interesting.

The early 60s were an interesting time.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the impression that Don has no idea how strange Betty really is. She hides it from him, and he seems willing to take her at face value (he, of course, doesn't present himself truthfully either). Very interesting marriage.

I predict that Betty will have her daughter on a diet by the 3rd episode. Wink
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....thoughts on episode 2?

* Joan. Oh Joan. This week she showed herself to be a racist, tortured Paul's girlfriend and skewered Paul when he called her on it. Did Paul put Joan's driver's license on the bulletin board in retaliation? Peggy? Sort of looked like a man's hand removing it from Joan's locker.

* Pete going to Don for advice after learning that his dad was on the plane. At first I thought that Don is the last person anyone should go to for advice on dealing with emotions. But I don't think that's what Pete wanted--he wanted advice on how to ACT like a bereaved person. In that case, Don is the perfect choice. 'You go to your family because that's what people do.' What to do and say, not how to deal with what you feel.

* Peggy's sister appears to be raising Pete Jr. Peggy appears to have been institutionalized following little Petie's birth. This can't go anywhere good.

* I'm with Don on the Mohawk/American Airlines thing. I felt his pain in having to cut that client loose. Speaking of American Airlines, how horrible was it that: a) Duck used Pete that way, and that b) Pete was willing to be used that way to get ahead? I can't decide whether Pete's line, "Let's hope something good comes from this tragedy (paraphrase)" was a threat. Did victims' families sue airlines back then?

* Will Pete's mom be so broke that she ends up living with Pete and Trudy? Egad. The "pink elephant"...is that Mad Men's way of saying that Mom has an unaddressed drinking problem?

* Betty. Takes another step toward crazytown and the Terrible Mom title. She thinks raising kids is teaching them manners and showing them how to look nice. Beyond that she's got nothing to give. Don is Mr. Warm Parent in comparison, which is saying a lot.
Jennifer
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add much to what you have said. I'm liking the show!

I was perplexed by Pete going to Don, as you were. The two options for me were, as you said, he wanted advice on how to ACT bereaved, or, he just wanted to suck up again. LOL!

I also felt for Don when he had to cut Mohawk for a shot at American. Seems his standing at the firm is falling a bit with the introduction of Duck? Pete showing up at the American meeting seems to indicate he's ready to follow the winner.

Peggy is more interesting every episode, and Betty, all the more aggravating and wierd. Crazytown is right.

I'm thinking it was Paul who outed Joan's age.

Jennifer
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a little late on this but I just watched the second episode today and I am a little confused. What happened to the year 1961? The first season was clearly in 1960 but it seems the second season begins in 1962. The American Airlines crash was a real crash in 1962 and of course the John Glenn flight was in 1962. And the Jackie Kennedy's tour of the White House with Edwar R. Murrow shown in the first episode was Feb 14, 1962. And if the baby shown with Peggy's sister is in fact hers (sorry if that is cleared up in the third episode) well he's clearly not a newborn. I guess it doesn't matter but I hadn't realized in the first episode that they skipped a whole year. BTW here's a link to the story about the actual American Airlines crash.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/04/reliving-a-1962-crash-on-mad-men/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Movie & TV Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: