[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

LOVING Barry Manilow!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: LOVING Barry Manilow! Reply with quote

Manilow Shuns 'View' Over Hasselbeck
'Copacabana' Singer Calls Conservative Co-Host 'Dangerous'

LOS ANGELES (Sept. 17) - Pop singer Barry Manilow, a major Democratic fundraiser, said on Monday he has scrapped plans to appear on the television talk show "The View," because he did not want to be interviewed by its conservative co-host.

Democratic supporter Barry Manilow canceled his appearance on 'The View' because he refused to be interviewed by the conservative Elisabeth Hasselbeck, whom he calls "dangerous" and "offensive."

Manilow was scheduled to appear on the ABC morning show Tuesday, the same day his new album, "The Greatest Songs of the Seventies" hits stores. But those plans fell through because of his issues with Elisabeth Hasselbeck, an abortion opponent and supporter of the Iraq war.

"I had made a request that I be interviewed by (co-hosts) Joy (Behar), Barbara (Walters) or Whoopi (Goldberg), but not Elisabeth Hasselbeck. Unfortunately, the show was not willing to accommodate this simple request so I bowed out," he said in a statement on his Web site (http://www.manilow.com).

"It's really too bad because I've always been a big supporter of the show, but I cannot compromise my beliefs."

In an earlier statement to the news Web site TMZ.com, which broke the news, Manilow said Hasselbeck was "dangerous" and "offensive."

But a source close to "The View" said "we canceled him," because producers refused to comply with Manilow's "completely disrespectful" demands.

The source told Reuters that Manilow had appeared on the show twice in the past year when Hasselbeck was present, and had been booked for Tuesday's appearance since July. The source could not think of a similar incident with another guest happening in the past.

Manilow has been a generous contributor to Democratic Party candidates, according to data compiled by the Federal Election Commission.

This year, he contributed the maximum-allowable $2,300 each to the presidential campaigns of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Joseph Biden, and John Edwards, as well as to Ron Paul, a maverick Texas Republican.

So, he got his cake and got to eat it to! He didn't have to appear with that skank Hasselbeck, and the publicity he received from cancelling his appearance was bigger than if he had appeared on the show in the first place! Good for him. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little confusing for me Scott. Republican or Democrat, he is an entertainer and it shouldn't matter who asks him for the billionth time, "Did you write "I write the Songs"? If he really wanted to make a statement, and Hasselback expressed her political view during the interview, then Barry could have had a spirited discussion with her. Now all his upcoming appearences will be about him not doing 'The View" rather than the album he is desperate to promote. Even if you don't agree with the opposing 'vew', this is America and freedom of speech is our constitutional right.

Mr. Manilow is out to promote another cheap knock off album of cover songs from the seventies and some alternate acoustic versions of his own hits. I will buy the album of course because I'm a fan. But after the "Greatest hits of the 50's, and Greatest hits of the 60's, never mind that in 1997 he put out "The Summer of 78" a collection of 70's love songs - enough already! By next spring he will have the "Greatest Songs of the 80's ready and by gosh this time next year the '"Best songs of the 90's"! Look for the "Greatest hits of the 2000's to follow after that!

If Barry really wants to take a stand and make bold statements regarding the war or other political issues, fine - do it through your great gift as a song writer/singer and performer. Make a new album of original music based around those beliefs. Done the right way, he probably would garner more attention to his music and cause.

Ed
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I'm not sure if you're more upset by the rehashed music, or the point of the article I copied. For me, this isn't about him rehashing music. I have no problem with that, as I am not a current fan and don't buy the CDs. I understand if fans like yourself disagree with what he's releasing, though -- just as DC fans are upset at the constant PF rehashes. The problem is, when he released new music, sales were meager at best. When he released his Greatest Hits of the 50s, all of a sudden he was "in" again and sales were, surprisingly, through the roof.

I applaud him for taking a stance against being interviewed by Elizabeth Hasselbeck. Her views are so incredibly narrow minded and my dislike for her is so strong (and I don't even know the woman) that I don't think I would want to be in the same room with her, either. Same with Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly and George Bush. Also, I do NOT think Hasselbeck is a smart woman. I think she wears her earpiece, and I think the executive producer (Bill Geddes) plays Gepetto to her Pinocchio. This was pretty much confirmed by Rosie O'Donnell. He's extremely right wing and conservative. Surprisingly, Barbara Walters is the opposite. But at 80 years old, I think she's tiring of the grind. I wouldn't be surprised if she announces her departure in a year or two. :D

What I do find interesting, is Barbara Walters seems to be making the rounds lately giving back-handed slaps at Rosie for writing her upcoming book, "Celebrity Detox" in which Rosie recounts, among other things, the behind-the-scenes goings-on at "The View."

Last edited by Scott on Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has to appear anywhere they do not want to. Some young performers "do what they have to do" for publicity. Manilow is in the fortunate position of being choosey about what he does and does not do. He doesn't need money. He doesn't need more fans. It's an enviable position!
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live in a very scary time where the media is concerned. When the news outlets are owned by a very small faction, and those factions are only representing their viewpoints -- such as FOX -- I think it's important for people like Barry Manilow to draw a line in the sand and make a statement. I think the issue is much bigger than whether he rehashed music or not.

Look at last Sunday's Emmy Awards -- broadcast on FOX, of course. Sally Field made anti-war comments (OK, she used the word goddamned too) while accepting her award for Best Actress in a Drama, and she was censored. He comments were not totally out-of-line since she portrays a mother whose own son has been shipped off to Iraq for a second tour of duty. Hmmmmm -- do you think FOX is pro-Bush/war??

I agree with Ed when he said it shouldn't matter what someone's political views are in order to be interviewed. In a perfect word that would be the case. Unfortunately, I think this just shows how this war/president has split this country in two. Confused
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I am more upset over the musical output. I have no real gripe with Hasselback, she has a minority view on "The View", but there would have been no controversey for Rosie and the others without her. Or less one anyway. They would have found another conservative puppet to jump on. I don't watch the VIEW enough to know the politics of the network and producers. I'm familiar with Hasselback's rep but that is mostly from her controversey with Rosie earlier this year. As far as I'm concerned, "The View" is just another venue for Manilow to get some airtime to promote his album. Given the media coverage of Barry bowing out of "The Vew" - its everywhere - I suppose he accomplished both goals.

I've never been about putting someone else down to make yourself more righteous. This seems to me as more of another battle in the war between celebrity and media which is as big a yawn for me as the musical re-hashing which has become the Manilow legacy.

By the way I just listened to the album on RHAPSODY today and I'll rate it 3 stars out of 5 - and thats being generous. Most of the songs are throw away versions, but a few like "The way we were", "Bridge over Troubled water", and "he aint heavy he's my brother" are standouts and worth hearing. The supposed 'acoustic' versions of his own songs are pretty much the same as the versions we have come to know and love, and only "Copacabana" stands out.

Ed
BonnieNY
Official Partridge-in-Training
Official Partridge-in-Training

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud Barry for what he did. I wish more celebs would take a such a stand.

Alicia Silverstone was another who snubbed Elisabitch (Oops, did I type that?) when she was interviewed on "The View."
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think entertainers who object to Hasselbeck's views should absolutely refuse to appear on the show. If they want her gone, that's the most effective way to go about it. But guests don't get to call the shots with regard to on-air staff--that's a production decision. I back Barbara's stand on that front. I also respect the producers' right to staff the show with on-air personalities who represent the spectrum of opinion in this country, whether or not I personally agree with those views.

I am glad that those narrow, obnoxious views are aired, since I want to know what people in this country are thinking. I live in a very blue state, so I would never know that those viewpoints exist were it not for the broadcast outlets that air them. I don't think I've ever met anyone who looks at the world like Hasselbeck does, but I know she's not alone. You can't fight that worldview without hearing it.
Rugger57
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott made a refrence about the Emmy's being censored. What is even MORE disturbing was the fact I saw a news piece today about a college student on a mic at a John Kerry rally yesterday. When they didn't like what the kid said or the questions he was asking the police drug him away from the mic and TAZED him. I don't think this would EVER have happened in the 60's...would it? I dont' hear many people standing up for free speech today either.

Where is this world headed?
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Emmys....I thought they just cut off Sally Field because she went over the time limit. They did that to someone else too. That's how it struck me at the time, but I wasn't really paying close attention.

Disturbing story, Rugger. Where did this take place?

Edit: i just watched the video. That's VERY disturbing. Kerry said he had no problem with the questions and would have been happy to answer them. Security run amok.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with PJ about liking the fact that the View has a conservative representative on the show even though I despise her beliefs. If she weren't there, it would be as liberal and left winged as Bill O'Reilly is conservative right winged.

Not only do I disagree with Elisabeth on her politics but she is so extreme in her moral judgements of others and see everythinga as black or white. Last week she said something about how people who cheat on their spouses are automatically bad parents. I don't approve of marital infidelity either but I don't think that makes people bad parents.

I applaud Barry for taking a stand. I think if I were a celebrity I would have refused to appear on the show back in the Star Jones days as she approved of killing animals for fur. That angers me more than any pro-Bush person does.

And Ed, I haven't heard any of the songs on the album but why would Barry (or anybody) cover Bridge Over Troubled Water?? Art's voice was so beautiful on that song I can't stand to hear it covered especially by someone like Barry who doesn't have that great of a voice (in my opinion).
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point in my sharing the story wasn't that Hasselbitch should leave the show. As others have said, that's why it's called "The View." I was just glad that someone of a high enough caliber to get this much press, decided that "enough was enough" with her narrow minded views. Perhaps others will see the error in her thinking.

No word on Trump commenting so far. I can just hear him now: "Barry is a loser. His CD sales tank. He's a skinny slob." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I was going to give the new season a chance, then heard Whoopi defending Michael Vick. That's all I needed. I won't be tuning in -- period. Very Happy
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Whoopi's comments on Michael Vick drew a lot of criiticism but I saw that show and I didn't think she was defending Michael Vick. She was giving a reason why he did it and that was the culture in which he was raised. Now I don't think that is a valid reason. He is an adult who has been outside the culture in which he grew up in for some time and certainly can see that few people engage in dog fighting and few people would condone it and most would find it disgusting. And he knew it was illegal. Although I didn't agree with Whoopi's reasoning, I still don't believe she was saying what he did was okay. The following show she commented on the criticism she got and said emphatically that she was not defending him. She is an animal lover and thinks it is barbaric. It's kind of like saying a child abuser was abused as a child themselves. It's not an exuse or a reason for less punishment, but just an explanation why they might have done it. Hope that makes a little sense.
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this discussion with my students. Vick is educated. He has been out in the world. He's traveled all over. He has had more than ample opportunity to learn better.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, Marjorie. But Whoopi's excuse for him makes about as much sense as, "He was raised in the south so that's why he joined the KKK and lynched the black man."

I think Barry Manilow is a big enough celeb that he should have been interviewed by the "A" team, no matter what Hasselbitch's politics are. It's like going on the Today Show and being interviewed by Al Roker, or Entertainment Tonight and being interviewed by that annoying Cojocaru guy. Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: