[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

What other Spin-offs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodyj
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: What other Spin-offs? Reply with quote

While we are waiting and hoping for progress on BB and Seasons 3 and 4, I got to thinking (yes I have way too much time on my hands).... We all know that Bobby Sherman and Wes Stern spun-off from the PF for "Getting It Together" which didn't work too well, but... Are there other episodes that introduced characters you think could have spun off to their own show?

Mrs. Newgast? "Traveling between her grown children's homes, she raises havoc trying to help out each week as they deal with one wacky problem after another"

Snake? "The story of a middle-of-the-road biker gang as they go from town to town in search of adventure"

Grandma and Grandpa? "What sort of argument will they have this week?"

Just wondering what the rest of you think....

Jeff Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink
TVGord
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could have created an interesting spinoff with Bert Convy as Congressman Richard Lawrence, with Jodie Foster as his daughter Julie and Anne Carol Pearson as his older daughter Cathy. It could have followed the life of the "eligible" congressman as women of all political stripes try to glom onto his success, while his "girls" act as gatekeeper and try to weed out the opportunists. Meanwhile, daddy's doing the same thing with his girls. That's just a basic premise off the top of my head.

Wasn't that 4th season episode with Andy and David Williams originally thought of to be a pilot for a series? I always thought so.

BTW, did you know there was another pilot made by Bernard Slade, Paul Junger Witt and Screen Gems, which didn't have a true PF connection, but owed a lot to our favorite family's success. It was called Bobby Jo and the Big Apple Good Time Band, and it starred Season Hubley as Bobby Jo, the lead singer of a band with four guys backing her up. They were Robert Walden (Rossi from Lou Grant), John Bennett Perry (Matthew's dad), Ed Begley Jr. (Ehrlich from St. Elsewhere) and Michael Gray (Billy Batson from Shazam!). Forrest Tucker played their manager and Tom Bosley played the mayor. The pilot aired on CBS (oddly enough, on Shirley Jone's birthday) March 31st, 1972.

To me, it's probably a good thing this show didn't fly, because it could have watered down The Partridge Family's success.
pee-wee
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere that the "Soul Club" episode with Richard Pryor and Lou Gosset Jr. was a made with the possibility of becoming a spinoff series. That would have been great with popular soul acts of the era visiting the "Fire House Night Club" each week!
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fascinating idea of other potential spinoffs! I think this may be an idea we could have fun with on the ROUND ROBIN section which is in dear need of a posting as it has been nearly a year. Possible PF spinoffs could be a fun topic!

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: