[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Best remake done by the PF
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshine eyes
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Best remake done by the PF Reply with quote

What is your favourite remake done by the PF?

Looking Through the Eyes of Love is my favourite and I think it's better than the Gene Pitney original. I also like Walkin' In The Rain(Ronnettes, Jay ahd the Americans). The most bizarre remake has to be We Gotta Get Out of This Place, originally done by the Animals.
Logan Mays II
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: LET THE GOOD TIMES IN Reply with quote

HI LOGAN MAYS II HERE MY FAVOURITE PF REMAKE IS LET THE GOOD TIMES IN BUT I ALSO THINK THAT LOOKING THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE IS AN OUTSTANDING REMAKE MUCH BETTER THAN THE PITNEY VERSION.
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Remakes Reply with quote

I loved "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and "I'm Into Something Good" with "Walkin' In The Rain" right behind.
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn something new everyday........

I am pretty good on 50's-60's music but had no idea that "Looking through the Eyes of Love" was a cover version! I guess I'm not of a Gene Pitney fan!

It's interesting that it took Wes Farrell 4 albums before issuing cover versions. I wonder if the fact that many of the songs David recorded as a solo were covers?

Here's my list:
"Looking through the Eyes of Love" (Gene Pitney)
"Breaking up is Hard to Do" (Neil Sedaka) - A far beter version than Neil's original uptempo version from '63. Interestingly enough David claims to have re-arraanged the song for a tour inthe 70's - slowing it down which Sedaka used for his hit version of the song in the 70's.
"Walking in the Rain" (Jay & Americans)
"I'm into Something Good" (Herman's Hermits)

I wish that Wes Farrell was still around so that he could receive the love and admiration of us fans, and so we could ask questions. I really am curious as to why he chose "We've gotta get out of this place" - my god that was awful!

Ed
Mr Zoob
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: remakes Reply with quote

Hey gang,
Someone told me CRYIN' IN THE RAIN is a remake of a version done by The Everly Brothers. Is that true? It's probably my favorite of the un-released songs, for sentimental reason more than anything else. I'd pick it for this list, plus BREAKIN UP IS HARD TO DO.
John
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really am curious as to why he chose "We've gotta get out of this place" - my god that was awful!

Why does everyone (else) seem to detest this song so much?? I actually like it. Sad
NancyT501
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joey...I'm with ya on this one! I like this song too (except for maybe the "ooo wah ooo wah" parts). As I was only six when the PF first aired, I thought ALL of their songs were original of course. I'll never forget when I first heard this song done by the Animals several years later and said to my older brother "Hey, this is a remake of a Partridge Family song!" Boy did he set me straight. We still laugh about it today. I also never knew "Looking Through..." was a cover. My most favorite is probably "Breakin' Up...".

Nancy Smile
Michael
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Crying in the Rain is a re-make. I think the Everly Brothers were the originals, but it's been covered a lot.

Back on the old board, we used to have a list of all the remakes. Let me see if I can re-list them:

I Really Want to Know You (Cowsills 1970)
Looking Through the Eyes of Love (Gene Pitney 1965, The Fortunes 1965)
Let the Good Times In (The Hung Jury 1967, Love Generation 1968)
Walking in the Rain (Ronettes 1964, Jay & the Americans 1969)
Crying in the Rain (Everly Brothers 1962, Sweet Inspirations 1969)
We Gotta Get Out of this Place (The Animals 1965)
Breaking Up is Hard to Do (Neil Sedaka 1962)
Oh No Not My Baby (Maxine Brown 1965, Manfred Mann 1965, Merry Clayton 1972, Rod Stewart 1973)
I'm into Something Good (Herman's Hermits 1965)
Working on a Groovy Thing (Patti Drew 1968, Fifth Dimension 1969)
I Heard You Singing Your Song (Barry Mann 1971, Nancy Wilson 1973)
Alone Too Long (BJ Thomas 1973)
Roller Coaster (Mark James 1973, Blood Sweat & Tears 1973)

Did I miss any?

Of course, a lot of these songs have been recorded by other artists AFTER the Partridge Family, but I'll let y'all do the searching for that information!

Very Happy
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the listing Mickey! I can't say if you missed any, heck I didn't know that "I really want to know you" was a cover! Send me back to the corrner of the room with a duntz cap will ya??

Speaking of covers, Does anyone have Wayne Newton's single "Daddy Don't you walk so fast"? On the fliip side he did a version of "Echo Valley 26809". I know he is no Cassidy, but how was his version??

Ed
KDP613
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Remakes Reply with quote

I'm just curious -- which show did they do "Crying in the Rain" in? I missed that one along the way somehow..... Would LOVE to see that released on CD along with the rest of the shows. Smile
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Two for the Show", episode 88 with the Williams' twins featured Cryin... which is also on Screen Gems Volume 9. It's one of my favorite never-commercially-released tunes. :D

Linda Ronstadt beautifully covered Oh No Not My Baby on her "Winterlight" album. Cool
Michael
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cher (among others) has also recorded Oh No Not My Baby. Other noteworthy recordings of PF songs after the fact: Rupert Holmes recorded Echo Valley 2-6809 (which he wrote), Neil Sedaka recorded Let the Good Times In (which he wrote) and Where Do We Go From Here, Tammy Wynette and A-Ha (among many others) recorded Crying in the Rain, and Voice of the Beehive recorded I Think I Love You, somewhat succesfully.
DEL
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked "We Gotta Get out of This Place" too. I liked the bit of an edge to the sound as the family was older. It gives a hint of what was to come on "Bulletin Board". It was also a cut that led customers to actually buy "Notebook" when we played it in-store. The covers the PF did were Alden building songs owned by Screen-Gems Publishing. It was good shrewd business sense to have the PF generate money on the back catalog of songs while covering great songs by great songwriters.
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or would that be the Brill Building? I thought that was the name of the locale which became famous for producing songwriters such as Carole King, Neil Sedaka, Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, just to name a few. Very Happy
DEL
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO those writers were not in the Brill Building but the Alden building under Don Kirschner along with Gerry Goffin, Howard Greenfield, Neil Diamond, Jack Keller, Tony Orlando, and Toni Wine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: