[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Are You A Cassidy Fan or A Partridge Fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Are You A Cassidy Fan or A Partridge Fan Reply with quote

I know this seems like an odd question, but it occured to me that while many people may be Partridge fans, they may not be David Cassidy fans. I myself have always been a huge Partridge fan, and while I like David, I never did get into any of his albums. Only recently as Cherish and Rock Me Baby have been re-released on CD have I bought them. I figured I would probably enjoy them since David and The Partridge Family are basically one and the same, yet even after buying them, I have still yet to listen to them. It's been almost 2 years now! Why do I have a disconnect when it comes to listening to David's music, especially since I love The Partridge Family's albums so much that I know them all by heart? Does anyone else feel this way?
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since DC was the lead vocalist on virtually all of the PF recordings, it would be hard (although not impossible) for a PF lover not to be a fan of DC's voice on some level. Are you looking for a roll call on how many people are fans of DC's solo material?

I like some of DC's solo material, but not all of it. But I don't like all of the PF songs/recordings either.

Cherish is very PF-ish, IMO. Why not give it a listen?
Mr Zoob
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of both. David's music seems to have a particular "place" for me, where the PF music is more like the all around "safe place." It always works. But For example, David's Higher They Climb album is one I refer to as the "poor me" lp. I mean that in a good way, because I play it when I'm feeling cheated by the world, and misery loves company. lol.
kelley
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partridge fan

Last edited by kelley on Fri May 21, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquise
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like The Partridge Family recordings over all. Outside of "Cherish" I don't really care for anything that he's recorded outside of PF with the possible exception of "Lyin' To Myself".
Ralphie
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: PF vs. DC Reply with quote

I agree that you really can't love the PF sound and not love Cassidy's
fantastic and diverse vocals. To me it's all about the material. I have always loved "happy or sappy" over "rock." Cassidy of course wanted to
prove he could "rock," and he can..."Common Thief" is awesome! I just
got "used" to him sounding like "Keith" first, so it took "years" to appreciate his gifts on various musical styles. To this day I'll tell friends
"I love that 'record,' not "I love that 'song...' " Because to me it's the
combination of a well written song, AND a great singer, AND a great
arrangement, AND and a great producer. Some of Cassidy's solo "records" are just too "raw" for me, I like "glossy, commercial productions!" But make no mistake Mr. Cassidy is an amazing singer,
capable of handling many styles very well! Take care, Ralphie
LisaF63
Reuben's Client
Reuben's Client

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by LisaF63 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was always the Partridge Family music over DC's solo material. Even as a kid I noticed the difference between PF and DC solo stuff. When Cherish was released, I enjoyed it because -- according to the LP credits -- it was basically the PF w/o Shirley singing. Although I still noticed a difference in style, I enjoyed it. Although I bought and listened to Rock Me Baby and Dreams .. ., I never had an appreciation for them till I was older. To me it was PF all the way, and still is, for the most part, although I thought his 1990 Enigma release was awesome. I never had any use for his RCA LPs, although the do make nice coasters. And, if you punch holes in them, hang them up in the sun and make mobiles out of them you get neat reflecty things on the wall. You can make sahdow puppets in the reflecty things on the wall too and they'll get all distorted and stuff. Laughing Laughing
Sheriffswell

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put, I am more of a Partridge Family fan than a David Cassidy fan. Of course its not that simple - unless we are talking about my mind!

The Partridge Family music had a great impact on me emotionally. David's solo recordings do not hold the same meaning. This is not to say that I do not love what David has recorded. I hoild many of his records (especially "Romance" & "David Cassidy 1990") in high esteem. it is jsut that they represent different periods of my life.

As a kid, 10 to 12 years old, The Partridge Family music was like magic. I spent alot of time listening to those records, memorizing each word - or what I thought the words were anyway! Every sha la la la, every wo wo wo still shines! When I play the songs in my mind, I can still hear the skips or pops as they played on my record player - even though I have all the cd's (and over and over again!). Those songs became my friends. They were there for me in good times and in bad. I have memories that are attached to these songs. And gosh darn it, they made me feel good. Dare I say 'happy'?

David's solo stuff is more bluesy, ever so slightly more edgy - not that he went wild like Ozzy Osbourne or Alice Cooper. But compared to "Keith Partridge" - well it wasn't "baby I love love love I love you" either! The thing is that apart from "Cherish" and "Rock me Baby", it just wan't there. They were nowhere. Heck, Partridge Family records were very hard to find after "Shopping Bag" was released! Oh now and then I'd find the odd DC solo album in a flea market or garage sale.

It wasn't hip anymore and Long Island (where I grew up and still live) is desperate to be hip. I got hung up on adolecent peer pressure. So going to the mall in 1974 and dealing with alot of idiot kids was sometimes real drag. I wasn't going to ask for the new David Cassidy album on top of it. I fought it tooth and nail, but it was time to move on. I moved on to Paul McCartney & Wings, Tony Orlando & Dawn and others in the top 40. I also went backwards and embraced 50's and 60's music: Elvis, The Beatles, Beach Boys (who were HUGE in 1974), Motown, and Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons - who were also rejuvinated in the 70s'.

But I'm a lucky man for being able to re-discover David's solo music - mostly because of my friends here at cmongethappy.com. It is a shame he has been overlooked and mismanaged until the last dozen years. "I write the songs" could have been his world wide hit, "Romance" should have been been an 80's smash right up there with Tina Turner's "Private Dancer". David should have played "Live Aid". His recordings in the 90's were well done. He's become a better singer and I wish he would record more original music. But its not the Partridge family. It's not the same magic.
Brown Eyes
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheriffswell you hit the nail right on the head. I feel the same exact way. By the way...I'm originally from Staten Island and went through the same thing!
Logan Mays II
Chris' Buddy
Chris' Buddy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: GREAT QUESTION BROWN EYES Reply with quote

HI LOGAN MAYS II HERE I ACTUALLY LIKE BOTH THE PF FAMILY AND THE DAVID CASSIDY RECORDINGS AND I AGREE WITH MANY OF THE OTHER REPLYS THAT IF YOU LIKE THE PF FAMILY YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY ENJOY THE FIRST SOLO ALBUM CHERISH BUT AFTER THAT THE MUSIC CHANGES QUITE A BIT I BELIEVE AROUND 1976 DAVID CASSIDY WAS THE FIRST ARTIST TO RECORD I WRITE THE SONGS AND JANUARY WHICH WEREN'T HITS FOR HIM BUT WERE BIG HITS FOR OTHERS I GUESS AROUND 1976 HE COULDN'T EVEN GET ARRESTED IF HE WANTED TO HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HEARD DAVID CASSIDY'S LIVE ON TOUR ALBUM FROM 1974 I THINK IT'S ONE OF HIS FINEST RECORDINGS AND REALLY CAPTURES THE CASSIDY PHENOMENON ALTHOUGH THIS ALBUM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PF MUSIC
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I never had any use for his RCA LPs, although the do make nice coasters. And, if you punch holes in them, hang them up in the sun and make mobiles out of them you get neat reflecty things on the wall. You can make sahdow puppets in the reflecty things on the wall too and they'll get all distorted and stuff. Laughing Laughing[/quote]

:lol: Laughing Laughing Laughing I told you those things weren't M-n-M's, Scott.

I am both a PF and DC fan. But I became a PF fan because I loved the cute boy singer, so I now I am more of a DC fan. I was 8 when PF started. I didn't know from background singers, or musicians. As an adult, I have a much better appreciation of what else went into those recordings. However, I am not a big fan of PF music after the second season. I like some songs, but overall, I am a first and second season kind of girl.
I really didn't "rediscover" DC until he did Blood Brothers in the early 90's. I had his Enigma CD, and liked it a lot, but I wa snot really a "fan" again until I saw BB. I am a theater buff, and I have always loved David's live perfromances the most. Right now, I am content to see a couple of concerts year, and hope he does more theater. Mohegan Sun is ust a little over an hour from where I live, so I am lucky. A new CD would be nice. Although I will always be a "fan" I guess, he isn't doing anything right now for me to be all "fan-y" over. If he does somethig new, I will be there though!
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Cassidy Fan or Partridge Fan Reply with quote

I also would have to fall in line behind Sheriff Swell. Brown Eyes, from 1970 - 1973, I lived on Staten Island as well. Went to PS16 and IS61. Had no problems purchasing PF/DC albums at the time. Enjoyed them both in fact. It wasn't until Cassidy's RCA albums that it got complicated. They were moderately advertised and a little more difficult to find. Then came Cassidy's imports in the 80's. Couldn't get these until access through the internet. Which brings things to the present. As an adult I find myself still enjoying both the Partridge & Cassidy music. It seems that I break up the music as such, Partridge music during the day and weekends. Cassidy music in the evenings, after sundown. I don't know why this is, but that is how it works for me.
Mental Cassidy Fanatic
Ricky's Vocal Coach
Ricky's Vocal Coach

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Cassidy or PF Fan Reply with quote

I've just been reading all these posts, and it seem to me like if David had'nt been in the PF there would have been no PF. His voice and of course Shirley's made the PF. I love listening to the recordings of the PF, and I have them all, but I prefer to listen to David's music, and again I have every recording he has made.
I have been a fan of both for over 29 years, and have just received my new DVD of the first season PF shows which are great. Let's face it there's no more Partrige Family, but there is still David Cassidy and he still has a brilliant voice and is a fabulous showman. I wish I lived in the States then I could see David more often, I have to wait till he comes to Britain before I can see him live and he never dissapoints us here, every show is brilliant.
Rock on David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Music! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: