[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

Trouble Accessing the Partridge Papers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask The Webmasters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Trouble Accessing the Partridge Papers Reply with quote

What is going on???

Am I the only one who can't get past page one of the Partridge Papers as of last night? If it IS just my system, then will someone please share with me the latest PF news as I have no idea what's happening otherwise. Thanks. Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um -- there's only one "page" of Partridge Papers. It's one long scroll down to the bottom. We haven't archived anything yet. Very Happy
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72, the page takes a really, really long time to load on webtv. I actually go to the page and then go do something else for a few minutes and then come back. But I am having no trouble getting the entire page eventually.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm -- that's strange. Is webtv like the old dial up modems? I'm curious if the same thing will happen with dial up. Does anyone here have that? Or do most have DSL or cable?
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63, while I appreciate what you're saying (and have experienced the same, of course, in the recent past), I'm saying that, PRESENTLY, I've waited as long as 10 minutes WITHOUT as much as the page's "date line" appearing onscreen. The damned thing has even disconnected on me while waiting to "download" the info, only to have me immediately reconnect--and STILL have nothing to show for the effort.

In answer to YOUR question, Scott, yes, WebTv Plus operates strictly in that prehistoric region known as Dial-Up. I just need to know if it's just MY system, or the website that's the issue. My thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not our website. It's working fine for me. :D

This is just a guess -- but the more video clips we add from YouTube, the slower your system may be in downloading all the info? The photos are fairly low res scans. So the only issue may be the videos. I just added two more this past week.

I think there is a way of archiving the posts by month --so you won't have to scroll down as much to view old news stories. But Michael will have to deal with the technical stuff like that.
Marjorie63
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daydreamer72, this is probably a dumb question but have you tried turning your webtv off for a while and then turning it back on? This often solves some of the problems I have with some websites (but I'm sure you already know this).

BTW, I keep getting the error message "www.cmongethappy.com is unknown" while already on the board but going to go to a different page. This started yesterday. I just keep trying and it eventually works but its annoying.

Yes, webtv is kind of the Flintstones version of a computer. Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjorie63 wrote:

Yes, webtv is kind of the Flintstones version of a computer. Laughing

Maybe you should try feeding the monkeys that turn the wheels?
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Marjorie63, I've tried powering off, and powering back on later, but nothing seems to work at this point. Of course, I called Tech Support and, of course, they were pleasant as ever (not extremely helpful, mind you, but always very pleasant Rolling Eyes ). It seems that "message error" you mentioned (which I've also experienced over the past couple of days) is yet another glitch in this archaic system--which may, or may not, be a temporal thing as we both know from experience Confused . As soon they decide whether or not it is, indeed, a technical problem, they'll "resolve" it (i.e., slap a bandage on the gushing artery, and hope for a miracle)--until the NEXT incident occurs anyway.

Meanwhile.... Surprised Shocked Evil or Very Mad
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott? Helllllllp!!!! Shocked

I remain completely out of the loop because my WebTV service provider can no longer access the Partridge Papers, as I've mentioned in an earlier post. Since then, I've discovered that if I have a friend who has a REAL computer give me certain links to the page I, too, can access the same. At least to a greater extent. Is there something that can be done, a series of links available to people such as myself still stuck with dial-up so we can get back on board the bus ourselves? Would appreciate any serious suggestions as this is very important to me. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. Very Happy
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you click on here:

http://www.cmongethappy.com/blog/

Or here:

http://cmongethappy.com/blog/2006/12/partridge-family-christmas-card_07.html

Or here:

http://cmongethappy.com/blog/2006/12/christmas-greetings-from-sheriff-swell.html
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott Cool :

You absolute DOLL, I did it!!! Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!! I owe BIG TIME!! You're the BEST!! I'm back IN the loop!! YES!!! Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first is the link to the entire blog. The other two are just links to individual stories. Hopefully, the first link worked? Otherwise, I'd have to send links to individual stories.
Daydreamer72
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, Scott:
The first link was IMPOSSIBLE Shocked to access. I waited a good five minutes, or more, before the system disconnected from lack of use. I had to reconnect, only this time it couldn't ACCESS: that is to say I couldn't even get a "date" to appear. But the second and third links worked fine, gratefully. I just hope this doesn't mean I'll need an INDIVIDUAL link for each INDIVIDUAL, NEW item posted there Shocked (there's GOT to be a better way!).

Anyway, I really appreciate all the time and effort you put in (on top of everything else you already do for this site) on my behalf. I'd appreciate ANY further suggestions you might have, as tiresome as I realize this must be getting overall.

In any event, THANKS AGAIN!! Laughing
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that your webtv acts like a dial-up modem. So, if there is a lot of information to collect, your computer isn't going to be able to. There are embedded links, YouTube videos, etc -- all of that is going to clog your system. It didn't happen in the beginning because the NEWS section was new and there weren't a lot of stories. Now, there are almost two months worth of material for your webtv to recgnize and it's too big for your system. (Of course this is just an educated guess -- Michael is the one who is the tech guru.)

So, I think the only way for you to view any of the blog is for me to include separate links to each and every one, as I just did. I just updated yesterday, and I think I added about 8 stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Ask The Webmasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: