[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

What brand of Guitar is David playing on the show?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian could play a little, that was obvious. But the scene I mentioned above......I'm wondering if maybe they taught Susan a few chords for that.
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely foam rubber was put behind the piano hammers. It would allow a decent "real action" on the keys. Remember, when they were doing the musical numbers, the music was at "concert volume" (according to Danny). Imagine what it would've sounded like with bad piano playing thrown in. Probably would make it hard to concentrate!
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Susan generally play an electric piano, in which case they could just not plug it in?
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly in the first season, and yes, it wasn't plugged in. Half the time the cord wasn't even attached! Same went with Shirley's Panther in seasons 2-4.
stevechapman
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: What Guitar Reply with quote

For those who are still curious about the guitar that David Played on the show. Ovation provided Amps, microphones guitars, and bass instruments for the show.
David actually used different styles of Ovations throughout the run of the show. An Ovation Balladeer which was used for when he was just playing guitar in the Livingroom, etc.

He used Ovation Solidbody instruments for the musical numbers,
an Ovation Hurricane(the F-hole Style electric you see him playing sometime) The other electrics he used were Ovation Breadwinners.
Danny's Bass was an Ovation Thunderhead.
I believe the Electric keyboard was in fact a Hammond Brand.
In live Concerts When David Played-he almost always played a Fender Stratocaster.
Hope that helps to fill you in.
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, the red and black organ Shirley played most of the time is an Elka Panther 2200 (I have one), Hammonds were never used on the show. The keyboard that looked like a small spinet piano (usually representing the harpsichord) was a Musser Electric Celeste. They also used a Hohner Clavinet C and Pianet. The black organ from the first season was a Wurlitzer 7300, and they also used a Wurlitzer 200 electric piano.
Jeff
dannyph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,Never get a gear hound started!PF didn't start using Ovations til season 2.Danny used a bass called the Typhoon actually (Storm Series).David did use a Strat alot,but also used a Telecaster Custom or Deluxe with humbucking p-ups.He was also photographed with a rather fancy custom Gibson SG.Who knows what model of Ovation amps were used on PF?Betcha Panther 2200 does.-DP
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gets lots of FAQs about this stuff. Usually we don't have a clue -- but if you guys can agree on what was used when, we can add the information to the FAQ section. Very Happy
dannyph

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,it would be my fondest wish to put my twisted obsession to good use,Thanks!-DP Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 100% about the keys, but not the guitars, so I have no clue what Ovation model amps were used. Probably Les Bell would, but he hasn't posted in a loooong time! Scott, if you want the definative keyboard list, just let me know!
Very Happy Jeff
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! That would be cool. I think we should add more details like that to the Music section for the people that find it interesting. Perhaps we can single out a few performing photos from the Gallery, and call out what models are being used. That would be great. As I mentined, we get lots of inquiries as to what instruments are being used. Very Happy
Lil' Lizzie Partridge05
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

Location: Either in SanPueblo,CA or getting on the bus being driven by the lovely Shirley to the next gig

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait.. I am confuzzled. I know Susan wasn't playing but was Shirley? Because in the Music Man she plays the piano. So, that confuzzles me.

Lizzie Eh? Think
panther2200
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...She was faking it...
Lil' Lizzie Partridge05
Danny's Accountant
Danny's Accountant

Location: Either in SanPueblo,CA or getting on the bus being driven by the lovely Shirley to the next gig

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what???????????????????????????????????????????

that makes me even more confuzzled!

tear tear.
Lizzie
stevechapman
Laurie's Classmate
Laurie's Classmate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Ovations Reply with quote

Well,I learn something new everyday. I only remembered the Ovation stuff. And really wasn't all that sure about the keyboards.But i haven't seen a pf episode in so long. I don't have the Season 1 dvd yet but plan on getting it. Thanks for the clarification. as far as to what model ovation amps and pa was used, i'm not sure since they(Ovation) stopped making that stuff pretty much by the mid 70's.I'm sure theanswer will surface eventually. I ahve seen them show up on ebay occasionally, sometimes they look like they've been in a time capsule and are in perfect shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: