[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

What brand of Guitar is David playing on the show?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funstin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: What brand of Guitar is David playing on the show? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to this board and just bought the DVD set of the first season! What an awesome trip down memory lane. When I was little, my two older sisters and I would watch the show and sing the songs. We had every album that came out.

I think one of the reasons I play guitar and sing now is because of the PF. Anyway, my question from the first season, because now I'm curious, is: What is the brand of electric guitar that Keith (David) is playing in most of the musical numbers? I'm talking about the light colored hollow body electric. I just got through episode 11 (That's my song) and I could almost make out the name on the head of the guitar but not quite.

Can anyone help me with this? I know sometimes he plays a 12 string acoustic and also a 6 string nylon acoustic, but the one I'm talking about is either white or beige and resembles the type of guitar Mike on the Monkees played.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
dreamboatkaren
Keith's Date
Keith's Date

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I looked through my musicians friend catalog, and then searched the internet. I believe this guitar to be a Gretsch, but am not sure of the exact model or year. Could be a Falcon? Anyhoo, that is my best guess. Where is Les when you need him? lol

Karen
Funstin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karen.

I thought it was a Gretsch too, maybe a Falcon or Anniversary edition. I'm wondering how it really sounds, since it probably wasn't what the studio guys were playing.

Well, I guess a trip to the local Music Store is in order. My wife will love that!

Heh

Thanks again!
dannyph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar is indeed an Anniversary model,or Single Anniversary.The ones with two pickups were called Double Anniversary.This model did not come in Blonde as we see Cassidy playing.They most often were Sunburst brown or a two-tone.The most popular two-tone was a light green/dark green combo.This model can be seen being strummed by The Rock while he rehearses for the "You Ain't Woman Enough" video in the Making of Be Cool.

Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones also used this model before switching to his white Vox teardrop.

I'd say that the guitar used on PF was refinished to natural.Also note that somebody lost the gold pickguard and volume knob,but left the pickguard bracket on.-Dannyph
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this goes in this thread, but DC either never, or almost never uses a pick on the show. It's most noticeable in SJ's "This is your Life". But I'm pretty sure he doesn't use one since the instrument isn't plugged in and/or isn't being heard anyway.

Lu
dannyph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Wow!Eyes of an Eagle if that one's true!I'll have to check that one,but I'm immpressed.Now tell me what those floor pedals are that Danny and Keith are plugged into in season one and win a prize! Very Happy -p&l-Dannyph
Funstin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Floor Pedals Reply with quote

I don't have my DVDs handy to check this.... I loaned them to my sister to watch. I'd have to guess that the pedals are supposed to be effect pedals, like Chorus, Distortion (although I don't recall any major distortion in any of their songs) or reverb. Since Danny uses one on the bass, I'm guessing reverb and Keith's is a Chorus pedal to fill out the sound of his guitar.

I use one when I play guitar solo for weddings and stuff and it helps a lot!

That's my 2 cents!
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props, all used for props. The amps are too. They padded the drums, but how did they rig the pianos so that they made no sound? Laurie's pianos weren't always electric.

Scott?
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. Maybe they had the cover closed? Laughing Laughing Or maybe they had a blanket inisde to prevent the keys from connecting. Or maybe she played air piano? Or maybe she just banged away and it was heard -- although they played back the actual song pretty loud over the loud speakers so maybe it wasn't heard at all.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I don't remember Susan being filmed with her hands on the keys all that often. I think she just moved her shoulders and arms around as if she were playing.
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean...she really couldn't play the piano?? What's that about?? She was only...acting!?? Shocked Next thing you'll try to convince me of is they weren't a real band! Nooooooooooooo! Shame on you
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLOLO!!

:^o Joey, and they DID play Vegas too!

I think the blanket theory is a good one. Susan was indeed tickling those ivories.... but if you put a blanket on the hammers, I think the keys don't bounce back up if you're pressing them. Anyone play the piano here?
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that they really had to do that anyway, since they weren't recording the "actual" playing! Very rarely did dialog need to be inserted while a song was being "performed" -- and even then it was probably dubbed in later, I'm guessing. Shocked
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: fakin' it Reply with quote

Remember the scene where Keith and Laurie were playing the piano and the guitar, arranging a song, and Danny kept bothering them about being honest? The episode where he gets caught stealing. That looked really authentic.

PS: The song was part of the bridge from "Rainmaker".

Last edited by Lu groovychick1970 on Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is possible. But I think the only cast members who actually played their instruments while lip-synching to the songs were DC and Brian. Maybe we should ask him, if he remembers?? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: